MR living in europe

MR living in europe

Old Jun 8, 2005, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH,UA,AA,BA,Sixt,LHW,
Smile MR living in europe

hi,
a little help please.
does anyone know how to get cheap MRs together when living in Europe(Zurich,Switzerland).
Am with AAdvantage and tend to stick to them.
As far as I know MRs inside Europe will cost a fortune.Or do they?
Thanks for any advise.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:30 am

Thumbs down Taxes are MR people's death in Europe

Sorry no, because of high taxes in Europe, even you could go transcontinental flight or flight to US and MR there or just take some very good "1-penny" offers (like last CPH to US, BUD to Canada, etc) .
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:11 am

Programs: Delta, UA, Malev
Have to agree with Kabolcs. Except for the BUD run fare mistakes I've found through the great people at Flyer Talk, MRs around Europe don't seem to exist. We do have great low cost carriers though! Nothing beats BUD-LGW for GBP 10. ^
Old Jun 9, 2005, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
most bang for the buck (so to speak, how about best bang for the Franc ) is going to be int'l to the US (or elsewhere that's a long distance) off-season since that's when fares are lowest.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:04 am

Programs: QR Silver, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond
Talking maybe LX?

As LX Silver, Swiss has some special's on display. Check the LX section of this board and you will find some possibilitys. Swiss ins very generous in the moment because LH has to pay the bill later
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only AZ

Alitalia is the only airline that's a viable proposition for a MR in Europe. A 1200 mile minimum for international flights and a double-hub strategy combine to produce very decent results. It should not be very hard to collect 5800 status miles (plus whatever elite bonus) with just one cheap ticket.
Pretty much everyone else will screw you through reduced earnings (merci AF).
Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by graraps
Alitalia is the only airline that's a viable proposition for a MR in Europe. A 1200 mile minimum for international flights and a double-hub strategy combine to produce very decent results. It should not be very hard to collect 5800 status miles (plus whatever elite bonus) with just one cheap ticket.
Pretty much everyone else will screw you through reduced earnings (merci AF).
wait till they privatize(if it ever happens!) and have the ok to join the cracked duo AF-KL

Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
I got BCN-BOS for 178 on US (LH codeshare) a couple weeks ago with a Sat stay. No interesting routings, but via FRA it was a decent amount of miles (100% in M&M). Total with tax was a bit less than 300. Found it on edreams.es, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Last edited by alanw; Jun 9, 2005 at 4:37 pm
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: OnePass
Just this evening I was wondering the same thing actually. I'm going to be stationed in Europe for 3 years and wondered what the possibilities for MRs were. I don't know how to find MRs in the first place, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:17 pm
AHO

Originally Posted by kobolcs
Sorry no, because of high taxes in Europe
I agree with you.

A few years ago, there was *A 55,555 miles promo.
I took ARN-(SK)-CPH-(LH)-MUC-(LH)-CDG-(OS)-VIE-(OS)-CPH-(SK)ARN for about 2300 SEK(ca 250 EUR) incl taxes, then.
Today, only taxes & surcharges will be 1700 SEK(ca 185 EUR).
Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
just booked this one today

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442517
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
How about former colonies? Caribbean routes attract fierce competition between legacy carriers (AF and KL) and specialized carriers (Corsair / TUI, Martinair, etc) that keeps prices at reasonable levels off season. These longhaul flights usually provide plenty of miles ^ (as well as rhum, sun and bananas ).
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:18 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
How about former colonies? Caribbean routes attract fierce competition between legacy carriers (AF and KL) and specialized carriers (Corsair / TUI, Martinair, etc) that keeps prices at reasonable levels off season. These longhaul flights usually provide plenty of miles ^ (as well as rhum, sun and bananas ).
No, overcrowding of the planes is what keeps the price acceptable. It is not really a good competition : all flights are full anyway. In the low season, the you'll still pay more than for a flight to the US.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:16 pm
AHO

MR for LX SWISS TravelClub member only

Triple miles on intercontinental routes
Travel Period: 15.06.2005 - 14.07.2005
Zurich - Montreal

Source:
http://travelclub.swiss.com/FFP/CDA/...1_0_1_,00.html

You can find LON-YYZ r/t for GBP 305 incl. taxes SWISS website.
Source:
http://booking.swiss.com/web/IE6/boo...startflag=true

Approx. 10,000 status miles and total of approx. 30,000 award miles.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:04 am
AHO

KL ARN-xAMS-PVG r/t for 482$ (385€) all in.

KL ARN-xAMS-PVG r/t for 482 US$ all in. (at expedia.com, don't book it on KLM website as they charge higher taxes.)

Fare basis: VPRAFKL4
Booking class: V
TICKET MUST BE ISSUED BY 9 SEP 2005.
total: 12450 miles

If you are member of AF/KL Flying Blue(25%) or Delta Skymiles(0%), just forget it.
But NW WP and Alitalia MM, you'll get 100% of flight miles.

Last edited by AHO; Sep 12, 2005 at 2:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.