(fare gone) Air Europa: BOS - MAD $115

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(fare gone) Air Europa: BOS - MAD $115

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1P, AA Plat
From my CO experiences you can do this, they really will accomidate their flyers as long as the seats are not full.

Originally Posted by dhammer53
After doing a little research on the CO board, I discovered a little gem of advice.

CO flyers without status can book exit row seats if they go to the airport.

I'm a United flyer. On UA you can book exit row seats if you have status. I was surprised to read that CO will let anyone sit in those coveted seats.

I just came back from the airport. My wife and I are set. I post this so all my friends can make their own plans.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by bysa003
I also went to Toledo and Segovia after taking advantage of this deal.
Stayed in Gran Via area.
Cheap subway ( 0,58 euro cents) is a great way to navigate the city

We stayed at TYRP REX right on Gran via road where they were doing the construction. The city is awesome although everywhere it smelled bad. I have some great shots of the city at my website below.

Madrid at Night
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by steveme
We stayed at TYRP REX right on Gran via road
How'd you like the TRYP REX? Tripadvisor has mixed reviews.

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I also stayed at the Tryp Rex. Got it on priceline for $100 with all taxes and fees per night. The hotel is mediocre, nothing special, but not bad either. Most rooms have a small terrace, though every room on the 9th floor that faces Gran Via has a large balcony - the one we got was HUGE. Definitely ask for a Gran Via-facing room on the 9th floor!
Another good tip is to sign up for the Sol Melia frequent guest card (Mas program). You get an account # instantly, and that's all you need to give the hotel. As a member of the Mas program, you get a buy one, get one breakfast (9 Euros). The breakfast buffet is right, definitely a good deal with the BOGO (ends up being 4.50 Euros a person - can't beat that). They do extend the Mas program benefits to people staying on Priceline stays.
Enjoy your stay!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:08 pm

Yea the hotel was nothing special. We got a non smoking room but it smelled terrible, actually the whole hotel smelled bad like the city. We asked to switch and they said people smoke regardless and they were sorry.

The location was the big thing...its RIGHT in the heart of the city. I mean on the main road direct downtown right off the subway. We got the room for 65 dollars a night for one night. We were able to walk to Plaza Mayor and adjacent areas within 10 minutes. I would recommend based on location and if you were not going to stay in the room long. Or maybe take the recommendation about the 9th floor, we sayed on the 4th.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
How'd you like the TRYP REX? Tripadvisor has mixed reviews.
Just to answer my own question, we liked the Tryp Rex very much. Can't say we had any problems with it like the other posters. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised to read their comments.

The www.Solmelia.com website sends e mail specials. I booked room 408, facing the side street, but with a partial view of McDonalds.
They were offering rooms 3 weeks prior to my trip at 30 euros (USD $36) per room per night. We booked 3 nights. How could we go wrong at that price considering the the great location of the hotel.

We had a fairly large room. A spacious marble bathroom. Good water pressure in the shower. I'm a Hilton and Starwood person. Make no mistake, the Rex is no Ritz. But if you're use to a 'name brand' property, you'll manage.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH: Gold; AirTran: Elite
speaking of McDonalds... is it just me, or do McDonalds in spain look like the idealized version of a McDonalds you would see on tv in the US but never experience when you actually go into the store...

i only walked into one of them to use the bathroom, but i passed another and looked in from the street... and both times all the people inside were all dressed extremely nicely, smiling and happy... it was almost surreal.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mocharaia
i only walked into one of them to use the bathroom, but i passed another and looked in from the street... and both times all the people inside were all dressed extremely nicely, smiling and happy... it was almost surreal.
That tends to happen at McD's, BK, KFC, et al. everywhere else in the world. At least where something like Americanized fast food is a relatively new idea.

I never stepped foot in any fast food joint on my trip to MAD...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Just to answer my own question, we liked the Tryp Rex very much. Can't say we had any problems with it like the other posters. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised to read their comments.

The www.Solmelia.com website sends e mail specials. I booked room 408, facing the side street, but with a partial view of McDonalds.
They were offering rooms 3 weeks prior to my trip at 30 euros (USD $36) per room per night. We booked 3 nights. How could we go wrong at that price considering the the great location of the hotel.

We had a fairly large room. A spacious marble bathroom. Good water pressure in the shower. I'm a Hilton and Starwood person. Make no mistake, the Rex is no Ritz. But if you're use to a 'name brand' property, you'll manage.
I would also recommend the Senator Gran Via - just down the road and just as inexpensive. Very nice, and free mini bar!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:35 am
Suspended

speaking of McDonalds... is it just me, or do McDonalds in spain look like the idealized version of a McDonalds you would see on tv in the US but never experience when you actually go into the store...

same thing in tokyo.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:54 am

One can join the Sol Melia MAS program and get a newspaper and late check and some kind of mileage bonus. This worked well when I overnited in Sevilla.
You must be certain to carry you card or number with you. They don't seem to be able to see the number, even if you book online and use the number in your reservation.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 4:06 pm
POH

Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
it was almost surreal.
One of the McD's in Budapest (Nygati Palyudvar) is in a building that was designed by Gustav Eiffel's firm. In the mid 1990's when they put a gigantic Ronald McDonald balloon on the roof, many Hungarians were beside themselves...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.