Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

An interrupted MR...how to recover?

An interrupted MR...how to recover?

Old May 6, 05, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Question An interrupted MR...how to recover?

Let's say I book a MR and start on it. Then somewhere in the middle of the trip something goes wrong (i.e. dealy or something) and you miss your connecting flight.

How do you recover? Take a laptop with you and re-run the ITA/expedia routing or will (for my example) Delta step in and just get me to where I am going?

Thanks,

Herb
Old May 6, 05, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by herb_sims
Let's say I book a MR and start on it. Then somewhere in the middle of the trip something goes wrong (i.e. dealy or something) and you miss your connecting flight.

How do you recover? Take a laptop with you and re-run the ITA/expedia routing or will (for my example) Delta step in and just get me to where I am going?

Thanks,

Herb
If you miss your connecting flight, the typical way to handle that (to retain the value of your booking) is to visit the airline's customer service counter, or a gate agent.

They will rebook you to your destination. In some cases, they will automatically rebook you if your flight arrives late and you miss the connection, but more often than not you'll have to ask. They typically won't be thrilled about the idea of booking you on flights which skip across the country before you get to your final destination (ie, rebooking you on an MR style routing) - you will likely get booked on the most direct flight with availability.

United will (depending on what agent you get) credit your account for the miles ticketed rather than flown if you ask - but I'm not sure if those are EQM's that get credited, or just general non-flight CSR adjustment miles. Other airlines may have different policies, but it would probably be worth asking if something like that happens to you.
Old May 6, 05, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier, IC Ambassador, HHONORS Diamond VIP, Priority Club Platinum
My experience has been that United will give you full EQM's for your original routing when there is a delay (mechanical or weather) or when you are voluntary/involuntary bumped. I have never missed a flight because of my error, such as not getting to the airport in time, etc...so I'm not sure what they would do in a situation where the customer is at fault.

Originally Posted by drtravix
United will (depending on what agent you get) credit your account for the miles ticketed rather than flown if you ask - but I'm not sure if those are EQM's that get credited, or just general non-flight CSR adjustment miles. Other airlines may have different policies, but it would probably be worth asking if something like that happens to you.
Old May 6, 05, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Delta will try to what a normal customer would want, which is to rebook you on the most direct route to your destination. Sometimes, however, they can be good sports.

I had a MSP-ATL-LAX-ATL-MSP run for the weekend of the big ice storm in ATL. The customer service rep first offered me MSP-SLC-ATL for the outbound trip; when I explained that I had booked the trip for the mileage, he quickly came up with MSP-CVG-LAX. I still lost a few hundred miles but considering the circumstances, it was quite acceptable.
Old May 6, 05, 2:23 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Yes, the key on a mileage run is to find an agent who can understand what you are doing and is willing to humor your need to not get to your destination as directly as possilble. I have always tried to be very matter of fact in what I am trying to do while being as friendly and polite as possible. I always repeatedly apologize for any inconvenience I may cause as he or she is trying to help me maximize my routing. It also helps if you can tell them what alternate routings may be available, in other if you are polite, friendly and honest in your intentions, you should almost always get what you are asking for if it is reasonable.

I have had misconnects on several occassions on NW, DL & CO so far, and have never not had an agent willing to put me on my requested re-routing if it was do-able.
Old May 6, 05, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only had issues once with NW when there was a mechanical delay out of ABQ. I was scheduled ABQ-MSP-CLE-DTW-DCA for the return & ended up having to fly ABQ-MSP-DCA. I tried getting full miles creditted for the missed segments and it was not granted. They did give me several CSR packs & I got about 25 bucks in meal vouchers & 5 x 35.00 coupons (off 200+ fares though) for future use, so it wasn't that big of a deal - also, this was when I had no elite status, so there were no bonus miles that I was missing out on...
Old May 7, 05, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
I had good luck about a year ago on an ORD-DFW-NRT-SJC-DFW-ORD MR. My ORD flight left late due to mech causing me to miss the one and only NRT flight out of DFW. I was suppose to have 1 night in NRT... I explained the ticket agent I was doing the trip for miles and she routed me from DFW-MIA, spent the night in MIA (on AA's dime) had a night out in South Beach, then went on MIA-NRT (which stops in ORD).

Got about another 2,500 EQM's out of the mis-fortune and didn't have to spend a dime on hotels, I almost missed my return trip NRT-SJC ... it was difficult trying to explain the Japanese AA agents at flight connections that I needed to re-connect directly back to AA flight. I can only imagine the "stupid american" thoughts going through their head.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: