Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nagoya from $294 RT from Chicago and all United cities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Nagoya from $294 RT from Chicago and all United cities

that UAL Nagoya sale is actually even lower from DFW, ORD; good from all UAL cities it seems. 4 night min stay however.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:12 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Nagoya to Tokyo

How expensive/hard is it to get from Nagoya to Tokyo?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:30 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Nagoya is on the Shinkansen line from ShinOsaka to Tokyo. In between you have Kyoto, Nagoya, ShinYokohama and Shinagawa as the main stops.
It might cost you quite a bit to use the Shinkansen both ways. They are certainly not cheap.

Then I suppose that you will also have to pay extra for the ride from the airport station to the main train station. You might be better off buying a one week Shinkansen pass.

See the Central Japan Rail website for timetables and prices.
http://jr-central.co.jp/english.nsf/index

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
How expensive/hard is it to get from Nagoya to Tokyo?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Japan is where money goes to die

Figure about $200 for the bullet train. If you're planning on staying for an extended period you can get a Japan rail pass which gives you unlimited Shinkansen rides for (I think) a week. You can research the passes pretty easily on the web (but YOU MUST buy them overseas - they are not available in Japan). Once you get to BigT, watch your money disappear. Back when I was working in Tokyo, my company more than doubled my salary and I still felt poor. In my opinion, you should never go to Japan just because there is a good fare. You'll spend many times the fare once you get there. However, if you've always wanted to go to Japan, this could be a great opportunity.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelWriterNYC
that UAL Nagoya sale is actually even lower from DFW, ORD; good from all UAL cities it seems. 4 night min stay however.
Where is this bookable?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:00 pm

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Lightbulb NW also offering low fares from many cities to NGO...and special BONUS miles too!

FYI: Checked out NW for NGO sale fares:

NW is also offering similar low fares to NGO....from many of their US cities...I tried OKC to NGO Friday Depart 4/8 and Return Monday 4/11 and fare was $562.42 incl taxes......and their min stay is 3 days.

Found a two 3 star hotels in Nagoya for 2 nights at $81.50 night so rooms are available.

If you are Plat or Silver on NW that may make a good MR...with your 100% bonus miles for Gold or 125% bonus miules for Plat.

Also note that NW has a promo special for bonus miles for all flights to NGO:
from nw website:

Between March 26, 2005 and June 11, 2005, fly roundtrip on a qualifying fare to or through Nagoya, Japan and you will earn up to 15,000 WorldPerks Bonus Miles! Simply register prior to travel, but no later than June 1, 2005.

The special fares being offered are eligible for the 5,000 mile bonus

TravelerJim
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:28 pm

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
I had to phone into United to get the fare quoted.

Bad news is that it's a T fare class...NO UPGRADES allowed.

With taxes it came to over $400, I think it was closer to $450.

Regards,
Robert
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Nagoya

Very interested in the fare - but that seems to be the easy part. I am shut out on hotels (even moderate) on the dates I can travel (any three nights) from April 12 - 20 and April 26 - May 4. Any ideas would be welcome.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Anyone have the routing rules for both the UA and the NWA fares from WAS?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I-flybynight
I had to phone into United to get the fare quoted.

Bad news is that it's a T fare class...NO UPGRADES allowed.

With taxes it came to over $400, I think it was closer to $450.

Regards,
Robert
What dates were these?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
What dates were these?
You should be able to find these for most of April... try the flexible trips fare finder on Travelocity.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:58 am

Outbound Flight

Fri, Apr 29
8:00am Depart - Chicago-Ohare, IL (ORD) Airline Logo United Airlines 831 Adult Fare Rules
Sat, Apr 30
4:20pm Arrive - Nagoya, Japan (NGO) 1 Stop
Total Travel Time: 18 hrs 20 min
Return Flight

Tue, May 03
3:35pm Depart - Nagoya, Japan (NGO) Airline Logo United Airlines 830 Adult Fare Rules
5:03pm Arrive - Chicago-Ohare, IL (ORD) 1 Stop
Total Travel Time: 15 hrs 28 min
Save this whole itinerary

Price Summary
Travelers Price
1 adult = $ 289.00
Taxes and Fees = $ 75.95
Service Fee = $ 5.00
Total Price = $ 369.95
Please remember that prices are not guaranteed until tickets are purchased. The following prices are for electronic tickets. If your itinerary requires a paper ticket, additional fees may apply.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:53 am

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Originally Posted by TravelingGnome
Once you get to BigT, watch your money disappear. Back when I was working in Tokyo, my company more than doubled my salary and I still felt poor. In my opinion, you should never go to Japan just because there is a good fare. You'll spend many times the fare once you get there.
I slightly disagree. Yes, Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world, but there is so much more to Japan than Tokyo. You can EASILY make a trip to Japan on a budget, as long as you avoid the big cities. With the one week train pass, you can go anywhere in Japan on any train (Except Nozomi). I may be biased, but a trip to Kyushu for a few days is not a bad option. Nagoya to Fukuoka is about 3 1/2 hours. Kyushu is beautiful in the spring, and the weather is great.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:02 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mjcasta
Very interested in the fare - but that seems to be the easy part. I am shut out on hotels (even moderate) on the dates I can travel (any three nights) from April 12 - 20 and April 26 - May 4. Any ideas would be welcome.
hotel stay info in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406969
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
I slightly disagree. Yes, Tokyo is the most expensive city in the world, but there is so much more to Japan than Tokyo. You can EASILY make a trip to Japan on a budget, as long as you avoid the big cities. With the one week train pass, you can go anywhere in Japan on any train (Except Nozomi). I may be biased, but a trip to Kyushu for a few days is not a bad option. Nagoya to Fukuoka is about 3 1/2 hours. Kyushu is beautiful in the spring, and the weather is great.
I agree. Kyoto is even cheap by Tokyo standards. It you stay in Western hotels and eat Western food it is more expensive than if you do not. You can get a satisfying dinner in Tokyo for under ten dollars.

Having just gotten back from London, even Tokyo doesn't look expensive.

By the way, when are the dates for the Nagoya sale on UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.