Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Any way to see the newest fares?

Old Jul 18, 04, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold

Is there any way to see all the newest fares loaded from a particular city? Preferrably in real time and preferably sorted by airline?

Might be the best way to catch the mistake fares and such .
Old Jul 18, 04, 11:50 pm

I think this is in one of the mileage run tools sticky threads- view lowest fares leaving an airport:
http://search.travel.yahoo.com/bin/s...=us&oc=SEA&s=p

replace SEA in the URL with the airport code you're interested in.
Old Jul 19, 04, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Yeah, but both Yahoo and Travelocity info tends to be up to 20 hours old. Plenty of time for airlines to pull the good fares. I am not sure if the tool I want even exists, but ........

Originally Posted by wck4
I think this is in one of the mileage run tools sticky threads- view lowest fares leaving an airport:

Old Jul 19, 04, 6:57 am

I think the only tool that exists to do what you want is FlyerTalk! Everything else has some type of time lag that is similar to the aforementioned site. Smarterliving.com, bestfares.com, travelzoo.com, etc. have some delay because they are, at best, compiled several times a day. I suppose the best way to locate emerging city to city low fares would be the travelocity, expedia and orbitz fare alerts when the fare goes below a certain price you establish but that of course only helps with city pairs you designate and still has some delay. Thankfully, we have lots of FT colleagues who keep us posted on the magical fares but woe to those who do not check FT frequently. Seems like every time I get lazy and don't check FT it turns out that I've missed an MR opportunity. Eternal vigilance may be our only option.
Old Jul 19, 04, 11:24 am

Programs: Gymboree Global Services
Yes, this can be done extremely easily and quickly, however it costs $4.25 an hour to subscribe to ATPCO's Government Filing System.
Old Jul 20, 04, 8:56 pm

Location: Flooded out of Metairie, LA--moved to Baton Rouge! AA EXP/2MM; AirTran Elite; DL Nobody; Marriott Uber Plat; *Wood Gold; Maker's Mark Ambassador
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by whlinder
Yes, this can be done extremely easily and quickly, however it costs $4.25 an hour to subscribe to ATPCO's Government Filing System.

By the time all those $4.25 hours are added up, it may be less expensive to make a mileage run by booking full Y!!
Old Jul 20, 04, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Again, I'll make a push to use beta.itasoftware.com and set your to value as xxx; xxx; xxx and the distance you're willing to fly from those cities as 300 miles. If you have all the right city pairs (which is listed somewhere in a post), you'll get the cheapest fares from your departure city to any of the airports listed in your to: field and 300+ mile out airports.

aloha
Old Jul 20, 04, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, B6, DL, WN
Originally Posted by slippahs
Again, I'll make a push to use beta.itasoftware.com and set your to value as xxx; xxx; xxx and the distance you're willing to fly from those cities as 300 miles. If you have all the right city pairs (which is listed somewhere in a post), you'll get the cheapest fares from your departure city to any of the airports listed in your to: field and 300+ mile out airports.

aloha
Question re: ITA fares...say I see a fare that I want, but it's not being quoted anywhere else online (well I see that fare one other place, but they don't give the fare code and I'm afraid it might not earn miles)...can I just call up the airline, specify that specific fare code and they'll book that code/fare without hassle? My apologies if this is a very elementary question...

Edit: Nevermind for this purpose, right after I posted and five minutes after I looked at ITA, the fare appeared on AA.com...10 minutes before that I had looked at the exact same itinerary on AA.com and it was $65 more... Anyway, I've grabbed it.

Last edited by MelP; Jul 21, 04 at 12:43 am Reason: Question is moot now! :)
Old Jul 21, 04, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wck4

Doesn't seem to work for non-US a/ps
Old Jul 21, 04, 2:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
Is there any way to see all the newest fares loaded from a particular city? Preferrably in real time and preferably sorted by airline?

Might be the best way to catch the mistake fares and such .

http://dps1.travelocity.com/lognlogi...ce=TRAVELOCITY

I found the fares to be very current.
Old Jul 22, 04, 4:42 am
KG

Originally Posted by MelP
Question re: ITA fares...say I see a fare that I want, but it's not being quoted anywhere else online (well I see that fare one other place, but they don't give the fare code and I'm afraid it might not earn miles)...can I just call up the airline, specify that specific fare code and they'll book that code/fare without hassle? My apologies if this is a very elementary question...

Edit: Nevermind for this purpose, right after I posted and five minutes after I looked at ITA, the fare appeared on AA.com...10 minutes before that I had looked at the exact same itinerary on AA.com and it was $65 more... Anyway, I've grabbed it.

I am new to this so please have patience.
I am also curious as to how you purchase an ITA fare.
Do you call the airlines directly or a travel agent and book the ticket? Is there a better way?
Old Jul 22, 04, 6:30 am

Programs: DL-Dirt AA-Plat 0.1MM AMTK-Select IHG-Gold
Originally Posted by KG
I am new to this so please have patience.
I am also curious as to how you purchase an ITA fare.
Do you call the airlines directly or a travel agent and book the ticket? Is there a better way?
ITA generated fare quotes. It cannot book travel for you, just tell you how much it will cost.

As to a "better way" to book, I do almost all my travel booking on the airline's website. I also have been known to fax over an ITA print out to my local travel agent for the strange stuff.
Old Jul 22, 04, 8:33 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
They are very current, but my hunch is that yevlesh2 and others (including myself) would much rather have a list of destinations with up-to-date data rather than plug in dozens of city pairs to find deals...

As mentioned above, the Yahoo! fare list is nice, but it's not always current. The air-fare.com links are great, but the coverage is limited to select domestic cities.

For a while, I thought about hiring someone (through www.rentacoder.com or another site) to write a program that would plug orig. and dest. cities from a user specified list into Expedia Fare List and/or Travelocity and spew out results, but I never followed through. I wonder if one of the aforementioned cities would box me out if I sent 1000 fare requests to them every day.

Originally Posted by ecmt
http://dps1.travelocity.com/lognlogi...ce=TRAVELOCITY

I found the fares to be very current.

Last edited by snorkmaster; Jul 22, 04 at 8:36 am
Old Apr 25, 05, 12:44 pm

Fare Tracking

Found this thread via google. Not sure if there is still any interest, but you can try out our alpha RSS fare tracker. This is a free consumer service. We are working on the beta version release and would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.farecompare.com/rss/viewR...estination=LAX

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
They are very current, but my hunch is that yevlesh2 and others (including myself) would much rather have a list of destinations with up-to-date data rather than plug in dozens of city pairs to find deals...

As mentioned above, the Yahoo! fare list is nice, but it's not always current. The air-fare.com links are great, but the coverage is limited to select domestic cities.

For a while, I thought about hiring someone (through www.rentacoder.com or another site) to write a program that would plug orig. and dest. cities from a user specified list into Expedia Fare List and/or Travelocity and spew out results, but I never followed through. I wonder if one of the aforementioned cities would box me out if I sent 1000 fare requests to them every day.
Old Apr 25, 05, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbainton
Found this thread via google. Not sure if there is still any interest, but you can try out our alpha RSS fare tracker. This is a free consumer service. We are working on the beta version release and would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.farecompare.com/rss/viewR...estination=LAX

Interesting - for us non-internet guru types (and this may be a dumb questions) - how do I get it to work? I tried changing the City Pairs (DCA & LAX) & it didn't bring up anything. Maybe because I have no idea what RSS means?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: