Wiki Posts
Search

MR tools I'd like to see

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2003, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
MR tools I'd like to see

I dunno. After flying some MRs, and a whole bunch of other Mileage-maximizing routes, I was wondering whether the following existed, and if not, the likelihood that someone would design something along these lines:

Plug in dates and flight numbers for up to 12 flights, and get:

1. Weather - Single-line weather forecasts, and any possible flight delays.

2. Galileo - Allows you to see your chances of getting bumped on multiple flights at a glance.

3. Website with airplane tracking so your friends could know where you were at any given time of day.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
On the planning side, how about MR Dreammaps - miles/$ on a map from/to chosen origin/destination city.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:15 am

It would be great if there were a search engine where you could enter your starting city or cities, earliest date you are willing to travel, and the stay requirements that you are willing to satisfy, the maximum price (or price per mile) you would consider, and the engine would spit out a list.

Dream Maps is useful, but it does not let you set a maximum, does not search for advance purchase requirements, and does not search for minimum stay requirements.

Generally it takes trial and error to find these things, unless someone like Keithguy posts on the board.

Some cities have reputations for easy advance purchase and stay requirements.

Another thing that would be useful if there were something like Travelocity's Fair Listing that gave a little more info on each fare. Day restrictions are not listed in the list (you have to check the rule for the fare) and too offten you have to check the rules for the advance purchase and stay requirements.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Actually, my intent of starting this thread wasn't to create a "Find me a MR" tool. It was more looking for post-MR booking tools.

I think by making MRs readily available (like one-click access) takes away from the fun of booking one, and would create a glut of miles out there for the casual traveler. We've got FT here to get us started on our MRs, but we've gotta put some legwork into it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if a lot of these tools were made available for PDA's? Do you people have PDA web access??
Old Aug 20, 2003, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
Sorry I've missed out on this thread for a while... but what are MR Dreamaps?

------------------
AA EXP, 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Old Aug 21, 2003, 3:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jills:
Sorry I've missed out on this thread for a while... but what are MR Dreamaps?

</font>
I guess what enjoystravel meant by MR Dreammaps was a map similar to Travelocity's Dream Maps, but with prices in $ per mile earned. Or did I misunderstand?

Old Aug 23, 2003, 2:18 pm

For finding a MR, I would just like to see a return of moonlightlabs.com.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I would be interested in developings these applications (I write web/db apps for a living). These applications don't seem so difficult, however, the tricky part is gathering the information to make the application worthwhile. If someone can provide me a source where I can gather the information (fares, flight info, routing) I would be happy to put together some tools.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.