FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   Air Canada Mileage run (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/276165-air-canada-mileage-run.html)

Z-man Jul 28, 2003 5:06 pm

Air Canada Mileage run

Has anyone had any sucess with mileage runs on AC? From July 21- Aug 21 you get an additional 1000 bonus status miles for every two segments through YYZ. I would like to price out a mileage run but when I do, they get very expensive. Any help for AC in particular would be appreciated.

fishermanbob Jul 28, 2003 5:54 pm

Very difficult as most cities are in a straight line. You can, however, do a segment run. Start in any city other than Toronto. If you are west of Toronto fly to a point east of Toronto, passing through YYZ (other Toronto airports don't count for this promotion). For example flying west YOW-YYZ-YWG-Regina-Calgary-YVR and return. You may have to convince the agent to do this so map it out first on Expedia and have the fare rules handy or they may try to book it on several tickets.

To pick a series of stops, use the map in En Route as a starting point. Another cheap run, through YYZ is YOW-YYZ-CLE, but last time I looked it required an overnight. I think if you do this three times you also get a 25,000 non-staus mile bonus. There were also some cheap runs to the US listed on the Aeroplan website.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Bob

Braindrain Jul 28, 2003 6:46 pm

I was looking at this before but since all cheap domestic flights (AC) only earn 50% of points, it kind of makes it seems worthless.

Shareholder Jul 28, 2003 8:29 pm

Under normal circumstances, MRs don't exist on AC per se. Even low fares are rendered useless by all the fees and taxes that are piled on. You could pick up 1000 status miles, plus another 500 non-status miles by doing a $19 YYZ-YOW rtn on TANGO. Total fare is $38 but taxes, etc. bring it to $146 [all C$s].

Those of us Aeroplan members who do MRs generally do them on UA, using an award ticket to get to a US gateway like ORD in central Canada, or SEA if in the west. From here, SIN Runs can be done for under C$1000. But now one can only return 6-days after departure. Far cry from those turnarounds: arrive at 11:45p, depart next morning at 7:30a. Grab a room in the transit hotel, or sprawl out on a bench.

Less restrictive fares can be found on AC, but again, these trips must start in the US even if they transit at YYZ or YVR. For example, you can do a NRT or HKG MR on AC ex-ORD for about $1400 [US$900] with no minimum stay, so immediate turnaround is possible -- albeit not on the HKG run until the second flight is added later in the year. NRT is about 15K, HKG about 18K.

Also for consideration in the fall and winter are weekend web specials to LHR and FRA/MUC. These pop up many weekends, and for about $500 ex-YYZ can earn a quick 6.5K [to LHR] or 8K+ [to FRA or MUC].

Finally, for those in Southern Ontario, there is always BUF where one can get some good fares on UA, and once US joins STAR, it too will become available.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 07-28-2003).]

why fly Jul 28, 2003 9:12 pm

I just booked BUF SIN today $593 and I think it works out to 20200 miles.
BUF ORL NRT SIN. Great run for UA people with all the bonus points going around http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
You could also last week get YYZ HGK for $980 CND with taxes, from consolidaters

[This message has been edited by why fly (edited 07-28-2003).]

Z-man Jul 29, 2003 3:26 pm

Hey Shareholder, thanks a lot for your tips. I will consider them for the fall cuz I'll probably be a bit short for Elite this year because we had a travel ban at work due to SARS this year. Thanks for your help.

[This message has been edited by Z-man (edited 07-29-2003).]

Shareholder Jul 29, 2003 5:56 pm

Why Fly reminded me of one of the few MRs that could be done on AC, ex-YYZ. Two weeks ago Empress posted a Destina fare for YYZ-HKG, about $1100 with all taxes included, no minimum stay, and a stopover in YVR was permitted! As I have a business trip to YVR and YEG next month, I decided to forego an upgradeable H fare at about $800, and book this fare. Will stop over in YVR, fly back to YEG on an award ticket, then carry on from YVR to HKG for a two night stay, then back home. About 15K in status miles, and since I will be over 50K in status miles for the year, AC kicks in 10K threshold bonuses. So I should earn 35K in total miles, less 15K for the award ticket between YVR-YEG-YVR.

Best bet, check out the AC Forum regularly, since most of us are in the same boat you are, always on the look out for a good MR ex-Canada. You might also find some FTers to join you, or you can join them...