Wiki Posts
Search

Can MR's really work from a hub (EWR)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2003, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime PC Member
Can MR's really work from a hub (EWR)?

Because EWR is the closest airport to me, and because I want to renew CO status, what is the best way to make a MR from here? Do we start in EWR or should we start from a non-hub airport? Thanks . . .
Old Mar 17, 2003, 2:00 pm

you could do EWR-HKG run on CO.. or EWR-DTW-LAX-NRT-SIN and return on NW and earn CO miles.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 5:57 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
If EWR is your preferred airport -- use it! As the example above notes, you can build plenty of mileage runs out of hub cities.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by eastwest:
If EWR is your preferred airport -- use it! As the example above notes, you can build plenty of mileage runs out of hub cities. </font>
Those are the easy routings ie SIN and HKG. I tend to agree with the original poster that out of EWR it can be tough. Especially if you don't get a good jump on the low fares. At certain times the fares to Europe are great and those can be stretched with a stop at a CO/NW hub. Dometic runs can be tough.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:05 am

Out of a hub, you sometimes have an advanatage with long international mileage runs. EWR-HKG occasionally goes on sale at a very affordable price, whereas MCI-HKG is always $200 or so more (if on sale at all). Same thing to Europe - we never see $200 round-trip airfares, it's always a minimum of $100 more on the super-cheap fares.

That said, outside of a hub, we often have better domestic runs, such as MCI-CLE-FLL-IAH-SEA and back for 9000 status miles and $220.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime PC Member
I should have been more specific: I'm interested in domestic runs and they seem very difficult, if not impossible, from EWR.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:55 am

CO does allow the FLL routing to SEA, so you can still do EWR-FLL-IAH-SEA or even LGA-DTW-FLL-IAH-SEA. This is a little pricier (and results in fewer miles) than starting in the midwest, but it's still not a bad value for the price (and you don't need a hotel if you take the red-eye from SEA back).

You can also watch for the occasional ANC sale and route via IAH.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
You might try booking NW and see what comes up. Reason is that you usually cannot book CO nonstops on NW or vice versa, so sometimes you get some interesting routings.

We have done this...flew from West Palm Beach to Houston via Newark. It was a NW issued ticket but was all on CO metal.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM but covet Qatar Q-Suites
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Let's Go:
I should have been more specific: I'm interested in domestic runs and they seem very difficult, if not impossible, from EWR.</font>
You really should consider the trans-atlantic runs. You don't need to ever leave the airport (but you would need to clear customs, I believe) if you don't want to, and in many cases, you turn around in less than 4 hours. Some of the Europe prices right now are just SILLY, and CO flies its European flights mainly out of EWR. AND you don't have to take off more than 1 day of work - you leave in the evening, arrive early AM, depart europe late AM, and you're back in EWR by 1 or 2pm the next day.

Its a beautiful thing!

------------------
CO Plat, US Silver
Old Mar 21, 2003, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
I totally agree. Keep an eye on Frankfurt. There is a lot of competition in that market. I did an EWR-FRA-EWR with a 1 hour turn around on 3/2. All on Continental metal. This was leaving Sat night & returning Sun morning. Total price $267.

Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:06 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CALfly5:
You really should consider the trans-atlantic runs. You don't need to ever leave the airport (but you would need to clear customs, I believe) if you don't want to, and in many cases, you turn around in less than 4 hours. Some of the Europe prices right now are just SILLY, and CO flies its European flights mainly out of EWR. AND you don't have to take off more than 1 day of work - you leave in the evening, arrive early AM, depart europe late AM, and you're back in EWR by 1 or 2pm the next day.

Its a beautiful thing!
</font>
yeah, it's quick and cheap particularly with no hotel charges. but, it's grueling. i don't sleep well on planes.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 2:28 pm

Programs: Gold on Continental; Diamond at Hilton & Hyatt
I've been on FT for a lil over a month now and I'm looking for something like this!

This site is awesome!!!

Platinum Elite - Here I come!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by joebeenyc:
I totally agree. Keep an eye on Frankfurt. There is a lot of competition in that market. I did an EWR-FRA-EWR with a 1 hour turn around on 3/2. All on Continental metal. This was leaving Sat night & returning Sun morning. Total price $267.

</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.