Search

Need 92 United miles from SFO for 1P status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Need 92 United miles from SFO for 1P status

Well actually, another 92 miles and I qualify for the much-maligned elite extension, which will be no trouble since I have a couple of transcons scheduled for January. Having lost Premier status last year I am desperate to re-join, despite United's current woes.

So what is the cheapest way to get 92 miles from SFO before 12/31? So far I have found SFO-RNO and SF0-LAX for $100 and change. Most of the earlier threads deal with segments, which don't help me out.l
Old Dec 18, 2002, 11:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Boraxo, welcome to FlyerTalk. One dicussion of a similar situation was at
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/003741.html

Other threads also suggest that you can try calling UA MP and asking to be registered even if you're short.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 6:37 am

When I called to check on why I couldn't register, the MP people told me that after December 19th you could sign up by phone at any level (my daughter was half way to 2P and thinking she'd like to make 2P for the first time ever).
Old Dec 19, 2002, 9:34 am

SFO-GEG $68
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DIAFlyer:
When I called to check on why I couldn't register, the MP people told me that after December 19th you could sign up by phone at any level (my daughter was half way to 2P and thinking she'd like to make 2P for the first time ever).</font>
You're supposed to be within 10K of the next status level, I believe.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Another option is to do SFO-&gt;SMF and then take Amtrak back (especially good if you want to connect to BART). I just did this yesterday, and it all went pretty smoothly. (I needed about 300 miles for 1P, and had already bought the ticket when the status-extension option became available)

w/ 7 days advance, SFO-&gt;SMF is $85, then Sacramento-&gt;Richmond is about $12 (less if you're a AAA member, etc). I wound up taking the super-shuttle from SMF-&gt;Amtrak, which was $11, but there is a bus which also does it for less than $2. When I was checking into it, it was the cheapest way to get one segment with no overnight stay.

On the other hand, I got lucky weather-wise. I don't think it would have gone as well today!

Dan

(edited for pre-coffee formatting)

[This message has been edited by danM (edited 12-19-2002).]
Old Dec 19, 2002, 4:37 pm

How about roundtrip to Salt Lake City on Christmas day for $90 ($70 plus taxes of $20).

(If you upgrade, you may even get a couple of decent meals on the flights.)

[This message has been edited by wwee (edited 12-19-2002).]
Old Dec 19, 2002, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Try SFO-&gt;SEA round trip for $68 on 12/24 and 12/25

Cheers
expressboy
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:32 pm

try
SFO-RNO
SFO-MRY
SFO-SNA
SFO-PDX

All $100 or less RT.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. In the end, I was able to avoid a mileage run thanks to the very courteous mileage plus telephone representative.

Look forward to regaining my 1P status in January, for what that's worth. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the red carpet clubs, thanks to my USAir Chairman's card.

Gotta love this board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.