Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

188 miles short of Gold on CO - suggestions from PVD??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2002, 7:15 am
Original Poster

I know it's possible they would let me in - would just rather be sure. Unfortunately adding one segment to my last booked trip for the year is not practical. Any ideas for 1 segment/ 500 miles from PVD? Cheap? (I've been trying my best w/ multiple cities and had no luck - prices are high at this time)

Best,
Alec
Old Dec 6, 2002, 7:40 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Well, not all that cheap, but pretty easy to fit into your schedule:

Continental gives 500 miles toward elite status if you book the Acela Express (no cheap trains ) from Boston Rt. 128 station to New York Penn..... you could take the MBTA from Providence up to Rt. 128, then board the Acela with your New York Penn ticket and just get off in Providence. You shouldn't have trouble with the conductor coming after you.

Bad thing is, the cheapest Acela fares are $102 one way on weekends. Good thing is, you could do the whole PVD train station--Rt. 128--PVD train station trip within an hour-- with no advance purchase.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 7:55 am

Two ideas before you spend any money. I'm not sure how the OnePass program works but I would call them to see if you might already be gold for next year. At NW, for example, I already know that I'm Plat for 2003 and this came a bit shy of actually having the miles. It doesn't show online but when I called it was there.

Another thing...your profile indicates you are Plat with CO. I think that NW will only downgrade you one level no matter how little you fly. I'd ask this question also to a live person before I spent any money. You may already be guaranteed Gold status by virtue of your current Plat status.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 8:07 am

d56, from other CO threads, I'm believe that Onepass doesn't care if you go from Plat to bust... but I guess it never hurts to ask.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 8:26 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
d56, from other CO threads, I'm believe that Onepass doesn't care if you go from Plat to bust... but I guess it never hurts to ask.</font>

true. CO only cares if you have no status or have given them no business. then, they will comp you easily to elite.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 8:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
d56, from other CO threads, I'm believe that Onepass doesn't care if you go from Plat to bust... but I guess it never hurts to ask.</font>
I concur VJ. I was a couple of K miles short of Plat a couple of yrs. ago and they offered a buy up for ~$800. Fortunately I found 4 NW segments that didn't get recorded.

I'd go ahead a do a run. You can do BOS-DTW-DAY-DTW-BOS in 1 day on NW for $124. Good insurance IMO.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

Thanks for the great advice/suggestions. I'm going to go ahead and get on Amtrak and ride it back to Providence - my partner can drive me up to Route 128 and pick me up back at the Providence station. How cool is that? A mileage run in under an hour.

Thanks again all,
Alec
Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:55 am

Programs: Almost all status expired. Hilton Silver. UA 0.8 MM. AA 0.6 MM.
How about PVD-EWR-PVD $86 ($69 fare) this weekend - Sat 12/14 to Mon 12/16?

I book Continental.com specials through the regular co.com engine to get the 1,000-2,000 bonus miles.

You could even drive to/from EWR if you don't want to visit NJ/NYC overnight.

Mitchell
Old Dec 14, 2002, 2:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AlecM:
How cool is that? A mileage run in under an hour.</font>

That's very cool! Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.