Wiki Posts
Search

How to thank Altaflyer:

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How to thank Altaflyer:

TO all who wish to thank Altaflyer for this fantastic deal, why don't we chip in to buy Altaflyer a ticket?

Another thread has mentioned the tickets sold were in the thousands+. Yet the person who initiated this tip did not even buy a ticket himself/herself. So, if each one of us who bought a ticket can contribute something, I'm sure we can send Altaflyer a nice Christmas present.

Comments and suggestions are needed for how to collect the contributions. The only thing I can think of now is using something like PayPal to collect, and then buy a ticket from BA?

Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:45 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
As stated in earlier thread-Count me in! Paypal sounds like a great idea.

Any ideas on where Altaflyer would like to go?

Altaflyer phone home....

kelly786

[This message has been edited by kelly786 (edited 12-01-2002).]
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:28 pm

I to think that Altaflyer deserves our thanks; however, I don't feel that buying them a ticket to Europe is necessary. The purpose of flyertalk is to share information. I am sure that many people have posted information about deals that they were themselves unable to take advantage of.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for the information provided by Altaflyer, and I did send them an email of thanks. I just feel that to purchase someone a ticket sends the wrong message. I'm sure they would enjoy getting a thank you email, or even a small gift from the country to which he let you fly for so little, more than a ticket to Europe, which they could have had last night for $100.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No other takers? ...oops, I should say, "No other givers?"

johnep1: I understand your point. However, you must agree that this BA deal is one of those special situations that go far and beyond the usual tips.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChaseTheMiles:
No other takers? ...oops, I should say, "No other givers?"

johnep1: I understand your point. However, you must agree that this BA deal is one of those special situations that go far and beyond the usual tips.
</font>
I too agree that this is a special situation. However, to purchase a $1200 ticket for someone who passed on the same ticket at $100 seems like a waste of money. I think that they would rather receive little tokens of gratitude.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johnep1:
I too agree that this is a special situation. However, to purchase a $1200 ticket for someone who passed on the same ticket at $100 seems like a waste of money. I think that they would rather receive little tokens of gratitude.</font>
I have to agree with johnep1. I would be offended if I were offered a monetary gift for sharing information on FT.

------------------
Vasant
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by johnep1:
... However, to purchase a $1200 ticket for someone who passed on the same ticket at $100 seems like a waste of money. </font>
Please note Altaflyer's own remark on the other Thank-you thread that the reason he did not purchase a ticket was that he would have had to drive 14 hours to Seattle. But he still took the time and effort to post the find for everyone else.

The suggestion for a BA ticket was my own, partly in jest, because it would seem ironic to purchase a ticket from an airline other than BA who has so generously honored all the tickets for this fare.

I personally feel a ticket is not too expensive if everyone of the benefitted contribute even only a dollar.

Do you have a better suggestion then: somewhere between a free email-thankyou and an air ticket?

BTW, I don't have anything to gain from this idea myself. I don't work for the travel industry nor do I know Altaflyer.

Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:28 pm

With all due thanks to Altaflyer, great deals are shared on FlyerTalk all the time. That's why there IS a FlyerTalk. Altaflyer will benefit (and probably HAS benefited) from fabulous deals that have been posted by others here. That's how it works.

I'll give a personal example, only because I remember most of the details. (Not because my contribution was better than others here.)

My very first post on FT, after I had lurked for awhile, explained how I had gotten enough AA miles from Kellogg's cereal for two Business Class trips to Europe, at a cost of something like $87. This was accomplished by using then-available discounts, double coupons and a repeatable rebate (which is long gone, alas). I got a ton of FREE cereal with AA certs and even MADE money on some of my cereal purchases, and I explained in elaborate detail how to do this.

At the time few FTers were aware of the Kellogg's miles program, much less the ways to maximize it. Because of the information I provided, lots of people did the same thing I had done.

I was deluged with "thank yous," which made my week. That was more than enough reward for the hour or so I spent writing out the details so that I could post a "how to."

The point is, we all have an obligation to share information with other FTers, when possible. It's called "holding up your end." As long as we're all making that effort, I don't think any additional rewards beyond a sincere "thank you" are necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.