Wiki Posts
Search

Things to see in JAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Things to see in JAX

I'm going on a mileage run to JAX the day after thanksgiving. I've never been there and would appreciate tips on anything of interest to see in about 5 hours. Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2002, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
well, on all my milesage runs to JAX, during which we also had about 5 hours, we walked over to the airport hotel (5 minutes walk) and bought some food and asked at the counter "hey, can we sit by your pool and eat this & hang out for awhile?" - they had absolutely no problem with that - so we started to bring swimsuits & use their changing room right there at the pool - basically we got 5 hours in the sun and had some beers & food purchased from the hotel. Swam & had a great time. Nice way to relax on a run after sitting so long. Anyway we never made it to "greater Jacksonville" so can't comment, but thought I'd clue you in to this.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:16 pm

If you are getting a car, you can drive to Fernandina Beach (30 minutes). Fort Clinch (Civil War Fort), next to downtown is pretty good.

Unfortunately, car rental prices in Jax are not ultra cheap like in S. Florida. And taxi/shuttle service is twice as much as a car.

Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:30 pm

Welcome to our little piece of paradise. Some ideas, if you rent a car.

1. St. Johns Riverfront. The river flows through downtown and there are boardwalks on both sides. The Landing ( a smaller version of Quincy Market (BOS) and Harborplace (BWI)) is on the northbank and should not be too crowded as most shoppers will be at the suburban malls. Travel time - 15 minutes.

2. Walk Atlantic Beach. Air temps are usually in the 60s to low 70s. The beach is residential with great restaurants where Atlantic Blvd meets the ocean. Travel time -30 minutes. Take I95S to Florida 9A East to Atlantic Blvd East.

3. E-mail me if you are interested in museums.

4. Mayport NAS. Visit the home of aircraft carriers and other large military vessels. Travel time - 35 minutes. Same directions as #2 above, but exit Atlantic Blvd onto Mayport Rd northbound.

Enjoy your visit to Florida's Best Coast!

Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rb.sr:
If you are getting a car, you can drive to Fernandina Beach (30 minutes). Fort Clinch (Civil War Fort), next to downtown is pretty good.

Unfortunately, car rental prices in Jax are not ultra cheap like in S. Florida. And taxi/shuttle service is twice as much as a car.

</font>
Yes, Amelia Island is very, very beautiful. I'd like to retire there someday. The Ritz-Carlton is an excellent property.

It takes only about 30 minutes to drive to the island.

Old Nov 21, 2002, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks for the tips! I appreciate the ideas.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Kubla,

Best thing to do on a trip to Jax, without a doubt, is a run to the Budwiser brewery, which is just about a 5 or 6 minute taxi ride from the airport. Free tour, and of course, free beer at the end of the tour.

yes, freee beeerrrrr
Old Nov 21, 2002, 4:46 pm

I would not miss the Bud Tour! Try the Landing downtown as well (On weekends) or try San Marco (Right near river 20 minute ride) great shops, super food- try the tapas bar (forget name) great prices on bottled wine.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 11:16 am

I once started a thread asking the same question, and received some excellent responses:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/000896.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.