Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Memorial Day Milage Run

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2002, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Memorial Day Milage Run

Anyone Know of any last minute specials on NW from PHL, BWI or EWR to anywhere. Departing 5/26 evening or 5/27 anytime and returning 5/27 anytime. So far I have only found PHL-MEM-ATL and ATL-DTW-PHL on 5/27 for $353 on NW.

Thanks for any help.
Old May 21, 2002, 12:35 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Not intending to be cruel, but, you are asking less than 7 days before travel for specials on an airline that does not usually discount last minute airfares. When they do, they are called "cybersavers" and earn no qualifying mileage and only 250 miles total. Not much of a mileage run. If you had asked sooner we could have gotten you to western Canada for about $250 but with a Saturday nite stay. Unfortunately the fare had to be booked 7 days prior to travel and required a coupon which many of us have.

This said, you might try booking something on CO; their form of last minute special will earn NW miles for the entire itin. You will not get any bonuses however-just straight qualifying mileage.
Old May 21, 2002, 1:10 pm
alm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I've been watching for NW to do something too. It seems usually on holiday weekends they offer some specials. I suppose with all the other promos they have they don't need to do anything more to get people on their planes.
Old May 21, 2002, 1:18 pm

BWI-PHX or BWI-LAS is available for $198 + $18ish fuel surcharge + applicable taxes. No advance purchase, booked in K class. Finding availability may be difficult.
Old May 21, 2002, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Keithguy, where did you find this? Thanks.

I had company coming to visit for the whole Memorial holiday weekend but they informed me today that they have to leave by Sunday afternoon. Since I had no other plan for the rest of the holiday ...
I am NW platinum and I am on the 150% turbo miles level, so any good run will net me substantial bonus miles.
Old May 21, 2002, 3:15 pm

I found this by knowing that a lot of east coast-PHX/LAS fares are relatively cheap with no advance purchase (due to America West). But you can book this anywhere as its a published fare - you can use Expedia, Travelocity, nwa.com, NWA reservations or your travel agent.

Just by playing around travelocity I got on 5/26 BWI-DTW-PHX (leaving BWI at 4:25pm and arriving at 8:31pm) and then return by PHX-DTW-BWI (leaving PHX at 10:55pm and returning to BWI at 8:22am on 5/27)

Edited to add: By the way, the fuel surcharge is $18 each way, so with all taxes, it comes out to under $260.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited 05-21-2002).]
Old May 21, 2002, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch Keithguy. I just booked it on nwa.com for $257. GREAT! Lots of bonus miles from web booking, connection via DTW, 150% turbo miles, 125% platinum elite bonus...
Thanks again!
Old May 21, 2002, 5:00 pm

Not a problem. Thank America West. It's not the greatest routing (you could do BWI-DTW-ATL-MSP-PHX for more miles) but given that its only a few days out and its a holiday, its good that you were still able to find the cheap K class fares.

I'll be in connecting in DTW as well on 5/26 and will probably be there from 3:55pm to 7:15pm (I am still wondering if I can standby for an earlier flight via MSP). Let me know if you'd like to meet up or something.
Old May 21, 2002, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Keithguy,
Are you on the same flights? My BWI flight (NW 1137) arrives DTW at 6:06 p.m. and my connecting flight (NW 251) departs DTW at 7:15 p.m. on 5/26. Yes, I would like to meet. Send me e-mail.
Old May 21, 2002, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hertz Gold, Ihg platinum, club carlson gold
Orbitz is finally showing some low memorial day fares, so u may wait until tomorrow and see if any of the other airlines match the fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.