Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You People"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2001, 7:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
"You People"

From the UA check-in agent at ONT this morning, when she asked me why I was doing ONT-LAX-SBA-SJC when I could go more direct and I replied that it was part of a segment run for 1K:

"Oh, we usually don't see you people until the last 2 weeks of December."
Old Nov 11, 2001, 8:23 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
LOL... tell her if United would just announce their lower levels, she would not have to see "us people" at all...

William
Old Nov 11, 2001, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
that reminded me of the check-in agent three weeks ago when I had to make a sudden (and very brief) trip to Taiwan for a family funeral.

He looked at the outbound and return dates (1 day stopover), looked up at me and said: "mileage run, huh?

I told him that, no, it was actually for a funeral to which he replied without even looking at me (with a smile) - "uh-huh, riiight... y'know, you could get more points if you let me route your return leg through HKG"

needless to say, I was sorely tempted!

Old Nov 14, 2001, 3:54 pm

Almost the same as "you people" is "You can go direct you know?" and a look like you're nuts.
I just did DFW-BOS-MIA-JFK-LHR. At least a half a dozen times along the route someone would say - You know there's a DFW-LHR flight don't you?
BTW-12,900 miles + AA DBL + PLat bonus.

------------------
TANSTAAFL - but if you work it right, FF miles comes pretty close.
Old Nov 14, 2001, 4:06 pm

I just confused the heck out of a phone agent on the elite line. I was calling to change my flights to go through a mid-country hub instead of straight across the country non-stop.

It took him about 10 minutes to understand why I would prefer a connection over a nonstop! I said, "I'm sorry, I must not have explained it very well". And he just kept saying, "I'm confused!!"

I still don't think he understood by the time the conversation is over - but he changed the flights for me anyway, presumably to get one of "those people" off the phone!
Old Nov 14, 2001, 9:05 pm
bex

When moving from directs to non-directs (or more trying to avoid them) are you generally going through the phone agents, or the ticket counter agents?

I have run into trouble trying to convince AA Ticket agents, not to force me onto the direct. If you are upfront about the desire to get the miles/segments/whatever, are they usually cooperative?

thanks,

bex
Old Nov 15, 2001, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think more people are having problems with Customs.

From my recent Trip Report:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/002294.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
...So I threw my backpack up there and he said, "This is all of your luggage?" I reply "yes sir" and nod my head. He goes through a usual set of questions, "When did you leave? Who do you work for? Who paid for the ticket? Why did you go?" I answer the last question, "For Frequent Flyer Miles" I would think being honest I'd have no problems. But he didn't like that answer. "I've been doing this for 21 years and I have never heard that reason before." At this point, my bag's contents are completely out and everywhere on the table. I had brought home some macadamia nut candy from HNL and he asks me why I didn't declare them. I replied that I was unaware that I needed to declare a product that I bought in the United States. "Where did you buy these?" he inquired. "Honolulu," I reply. "You went to Hawaii, Japan and Singapore since Thursday?" he asked. "Yes sir" I reply. At this moment he shook his head and stuffed my things back into my backpack, typed something into his computer and finally sent me on my way...</font>
[This message has been edited by chexfan (edited 11-15-2001).]
Old Nov 15, 2001, 9:25 am

bex:

I was speaking to an agent on the Elite (phone) line. They changed schedule and aircraft on me for all segments of my trip, so I called to move myself to an indirect flight (I don't need the miles at this point, but I can't stand flying 737's from coast to coast!)

Old Jan 19, 2002, 11:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Today I flew SFO-LAX-LAS-SFO-RNO.

The UA check-in agent at SFO said "You're doing this the hard way." I said, "When you make status on segments and don't fly int'l, you have to be creative -- and besides the day I booked it was cheaper this way than the direct route." She said, "We saw lots of you folks the last two weeks in December, but you're my first this year."

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 01-20-2002).]
Old Jan 22, 2002, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Got odd responses from check-in agents both ways for my 8-segment SJC-MCO round trip last weekend. Mileage runners need to have strong constitutions. Next time I'll point out that such an itinerary is inefficient because 10 segments are allowed per the fare rules!
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:08 am

I did get a bit of a head scratcher when i checked in at ORD for my ORD-NRT trip. The agent looked at things, issued the "TO" trip then went to confirm the return and said, "Is this right? Only 2hrs in NRT? you realize that this is a 13.5hr flight each way with 2hrs in Japan?". I responded, "Yup. That's right. I can't wait to see Japan." She laughed.

Nobody bothered me one bit.

ORD customs just asked me if I had been on business or pleasure. I said pleasure. (well, kinda pleasure if you enjoy 26hrs on a plane in 28hrs.)

Old Jan 24, 2002, 3:16 pm
DLB

On 29 Dec I flew HNL to Narita to Hong Kong, slept at the Regal* Hotel at the airport for a few hours then caught the reverse itinerary back to HNL the next morning on 30 December.

So far so good, except my "okole" is tired from sitting too much.

Upon arrival in HNL the Customs people noted I was only gone for one day, plus that a year previously, I had been in Chile, (luckily they never noticed Peru) so I was diverted to a special line for a complete luggage check. I am a senior with rather normal appearance, so maybe it was their day to go against the profile for PC purposes.

Anyway I had bought nary a thing and was traveling light. I tried to explain what a mileage run was, but not one of the three Customs personnel in the immediate area could conceive of such a thing. It seemed even mentioning a mileage run raised a little more suspicion.

The Custom Agent checked my bag completely including the lining, then huddled with other agents who all peered at me, he then conferred with a supervisor in a whisper, asked for my business card (even though I declared it was a pleasure trip), and finally let me proceed.

It was not unpleasant as I had nothing to hide and was not in a particular rush. Nor was it very time consuming (maybe 15-20 minutes extra) but I was amazed that the Customs Agents there had no inkling about frequent flyer status benefits or why one would do a mileage run.

It zoomed completely over their heads.

Later I called a Customs supervisor later to suggest they might inform their people frequent flyers sometimes do these things. He was nice, though probably unmoved. He merely offered the comment that few Customs agents would understand a mileage run since "we government guys don't travel a lot".

Bottom line mileage runners might consider allowing a little time for their connections in case of a similar delay at Customs in case you appear to be a "heinous master smuggler-international schemer" like me. I will allow more time even at the end of a year when supposedly there are more mileage runs undertaken.

* The Regal Hotel adjoins the terminal. It offers good rooms and has pleasing service. I'd recommend Regal's sumptuous and affordable breakfast buffet... It is like a world tour in food; Nepalese curries, dim sum, Japanese stuff, fruits, waffles, bacon, ham and eggs, Euro cold cuts, cheeses and wheat beer, lots of rolls, desserts and everything else for every culture.

[This message has been edited by DLB (edited 01-24-2002).]
Old Jan 24, 2002, 4:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DLB:
I'd recommend Regal's sumptuous and affordable breakfast buffet... It is like a world tour in food; Nepalese curries, dim sum, Japanese stuff, fruits, waffles, bacon, ham and eggs, Euro cold cuts, cheeses and wheat beer, lots of rolls, desserts and everything else for every culture. </font>
I absolutely agree. I misconnected in HKG last year on my way LAX-HKG-DEL and CX put me up at the Regal with breakfast and lunch coupons. I've never enjoyed a misconnection that much!
Old Jan 24, 2002, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I was in London a couple of weeks ago for the FT dinner. I got the usual questions, like "Where are your bags?" (I had a backpack, most of which held work for the plane). I explained that I was there for dinner with friends, that having a voucher made the trip nearly free, and that if I didn't use the voucher it was going to expire.

As it happens, all of this was totally true. (I hadn't met some of the friends yet at that point, and I would have made the trip even without the voucher, but that's more than they needed to know.) However, these answers seemed to satisfy everyone immediately. Customs and immigration people may not understand mileage runs, but they understand dinner.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 7:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
I absolutely agree. I misconnected in HKG last year on my way LAX-HKG-DEL and CX </font>
CX has a nonstop from Hong Kong to Delaware?
cool...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.