Wiki Posts
Search

AA Mileage Run Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2001, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
AA Mileage Run Suggestions?

Yep, it's early in the year, but I've got some time for a nice mileage run from NYC so I thought I'd take it while I can.

Any thoughts on the best deal for the most miles? I'll spend up to a $1000 (plus or minus a few hundred for the right deal). I only want a single trip - even though a couple of cheap JFK-LHR trips would rack up the miles - so I can maximize my VIP2 use. I could go to NRT for about $1K and 15K qualifying miles, but wondering if I can do any better than that. Any ideas?
Old Jan 19, 2001, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Hmm, is JFK-LAX-ORD-MXP/back is against the spirit of what you're trying to do by a "single trip"?

If you could get it priced properly on one record, you could use your VIP2 for that. If you had to do the JFK-LAX on a different ticket, you could substitute LGA-DAL-LAX and at least get domestic F seating for Y.
Old Jan 20, 2001, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did LGA-DGW-LGW round trip in November for just over 12,000 miles, back to back (left 12 noon on Saturday, got back around 8pm on Sunday). Total cost was around $500 (minus some vouchers...

How many miles are you looking to get?

If you come up with anything good, let me know, maybe I'll join you.

d
Old Jan 21, 2001, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Doppy, do you know if you got the ticket for the same price as JFK-LHR, or did you have to pay more because you went through DFW?
Old Jan 21, 2001, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Check out driving up to BOS, and then doing BOS/BKK on the AA/JAL code-share from NRT/BKK. It'll get you 22,000 q-miles.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
aa.com prices that a $2700 in march if coach is available. What fare have you been able to get quoted?
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I had it priced for $900, but that was in mid-feb.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, DL Gold, LP ex-Millionaire!
I just found a fare on this route for 896.60 in April on Travelocity. It's available through May and there seem to be a lot of seats available.

I've tried to book this fare on aa.com and have never been able to. When I do a search using the same dates I found on Travelocity, it shows the same routing. But when I try to select it, it tells me that AA doesn't offer this route. I guess it's because one of the legs is a JAL codeshare.

Has anyone been able to book it on aa.com?

Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The BOS-BKK run sounds good, but I'm trying to stay on AA metal so I can use a VIP2. So fare the best I've come up with is LGA-LGW-ORD-CDG-LGA, with the trans-Atlantic segments via DFW or ORD. I can do this in four days for about $1100 and get just over 22K qualifying miles, plus elite bonus miles and the first two EURO bonuses - total over 60K miles. If I decide to do it, it'll be pretty brutal as two of the three nights will be red-eyes. But it's also 25% of my 2001 qualifying miles in just four days, so may be worth it...
Old Jan 22, 2001, 8:43 am

AA is now having a "Web Only - Take your love to Europe SAAle" in which all travel to Europe is less than $300 from most major cities in the US.
Old Jan 22, 2001, 1:19 pm

jAAck,

How did you find and book your run? I'm new at these "pure" mileage runs.

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2001, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by ElmhurstNick:
Doppy, do you know if you got the ticket for the same price as JFK-LHR, or did you have to pay more because you went through DFW?
It priced out the same as flying direct to LHR from JFK (more or less because of the taxes, etc). AA's timetable says it's a valid routing...

d
Old Jan 22, 2001, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

stephlac, nothing fancy i'm afraid, just trial and error on aa.com and ITN. Got the LGA-LGW idea from Doppy, then tried combining two trans-Atlantics into one trip. It's really a better deal if you do them separately - I priced LGA-LGW and LGA-CDG at about $400 each. But I want to do it all at once with a single VIP2, rather than on separate trips.
Old Jan 23, 2001, 9:59 am

Thanks jAAck.

I'm learning that you have to find these things by brute force or by luck!

Good luck on your trip. It sounds a little brutal to me--but efficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.