Search

AA web fares - Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2001, 8:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AA web fares - Europe

Not the best deal but not that bad.

SEA to LHR/LGW/CDG (12,200 to 12,800 miles)for $494.00 You can depart on sat and return on sun which prevents that hotel stay sometimes required.

I didn't see web fares specifically listed but when I priced cities it showed these web specials.

Note: it gives an error when you try to view rules but the desk said: purchase by Jan 17, travel by Mar 29, $150 return change, Fri-Sun w/sat stay (but includes a sat departure with sun arrival), no standby, ....

8 x $500 = $4000. Worth it for exec plt, 200,000 miles and 40 upgrade stickers?
Old Jan 7, 2001, 10:40 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
But if it is a true web fare then you may not be able to upgrade (or use EXP VIP2s). It may be better to pay the published prices and upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 11:14 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Can you use VIPII's on a AA web saver ticket..I thought if it was published..it's OK...I know it can't be used on awards.

------------------
MRKEY
Old Jan 7, 2001, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
This sounds like the current fare sale which is not a web special...

MRKEY,

that's right -- any fare code with WEB or NET in it is non-upgradeable, either with VIP2s or mileage. sucks.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 3:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The cheaper fare (by ~$60) is a LLWWEB fare but since I'm not using VIPII's or mileage upgrades just domestic sticker upgrades I went with the lower fare. Seating looks like I'll get a middle row to stretch out on going over and 27A on the 777 for the return.

If something cheaper comes along I'll have to go again.
Old Jan 7, 2001, 3:22 pm

I am doing ewr-ord-lhr-ewr for 320 on the llwweb fare. leaving on a sat return on sunday. total
7800 Q-miles
Old Jan 7, 2001, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Sounds kinda expensive. Pity AA didn't match US's fare to FRA of 2 weeks back. $400 gets me 12k+ Q miles, 13K + elite/booking bonus and hopefully a 7,500 trans-Atlantic bonus, and upgraded too.

Culd have thrown in a few more segments by flying a route such as SEA-CLT-PHL-PIT-FRA-PHL-CLT-SEA
Old Jan 7, 2001, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally posted by SJC AA:
...MRKEY,

that's right -- any fare code with WEB or NET in it is non-upgradeable, either with VIP2s or mileage. sucks.
That was definitely not the case with my "Web Special Weekly Focus FAAre" that I purchased for my mileage run from ORD to NRT at the first of December. It was $425 round trip, fare basis LFOCSWEB, and AA gladly took my award certificate for the upgrade to Business Class using miles. In addition, I earned flown miles, PLT bonus miles and TTBNS miles.

I have also used miles to upgrade coming home from CDG and from BRU on "NetSAAver Fares."

[This message has been edited by bbinchi (edited 01-07-2001).]
Old Jan 8, 2001, 11:16 am

The SEA/London fare quoted is high. You can do better with a non-web type fare.

If you want to maximize mileage fly to Germany through ORD, Dallas and Zurich. Fares are under $500 and you can squeak out another 3500 miles over London. The extra 3500 miles per trip means you only have to take 7 trips to make ex plat. If you register for the 1-3 European bonus can pick up another 30000 bounus miles.
Old Jan 8, 2001, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I've also upgraded web specials, but RDURES1 said that this is a newish policy. I don't have a reference to the post -- try searching the AA forum.
Old Jan 8, 2001, 12:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Tango:

1. Any ideas on how to get these lower fares?

2. I show DFW/LHR @ 4843 miles and DFW/ZRH @ 5240 miles or about 800 miles difference. How do you come up with 3500?

You can vary the routing and go via ORD/MIA/JFK and add miles also but I haven't found an additional 3500.

Would appreciate any ideas.

THanks
Old Jan 8, 2001, 3:59 pm

there was a weekday jfk-lhr round trip for $277 including tax. where in general do you find a fare less expensive than that? that's like $97 each way plus tax. this usually happens the first week of the year for jan-march travel.
Old Jan 8, 2001, 7:53 pm

SEA==>ORD = 1726 red eye
ORD==>DFW = 801
DFW==>ZRH = 5226
ZRH==>Berlin = 500

Total miles is 16506. or 15642 if you fly straight from DFW back to Seattle.

The above routing will cost you anywhere from $470 to $540. The only draw back (?) is you are forced to overnight in Berlin.

If you need a turn around flight without an overnight, consider going: SEA==>ORD==>DFW==>ZRH==>FRA==>DFW== >SEA (or ORD==>SEA). Many of the American Airlines fares have mile caps where if you exceed them you will pay slightly more.

If you want to go to London, try pricing out a routing from SEA to SJC to LAX to DFW to DFW to LGW and return.

Most of the above routings will give you enough miles each run so you will only need to take seven trips to reach your 100k goal.

As far as getting the best fares and routings, ask a good travel agent to help. I have found the American Airlines web site useless for complex routings. A good example is to ask it to route you to Berlin. The web site states American Airlines does not serve that city. I know for a fact that it does (code share with swiss air).

If you are looking to pick up extra bonus miles, try a routing from SEA to DFW to JFK and then to HEL on Finair/return. The miles on Finair are doubled through March.

Hope this helps, good luck and remeber the cheap fares to Germany have to be ticketed by January 16th.
Old Jan 9, 2001, 11:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Not quite up to Tango's miles but it still gets 100,000+ in 7 trips and no overnight stay required.

Web special: $458 all taxes/fees

SEA-DFW-ORD-FRA-DFW-ORD-SEA Leave Sat a.m. back sun p.m. total airmiles 14,471 (x7 = 101,297)

Anyone know if 1 hour is enough time for connections at FRA? Are you able to go through flight connections rather than immigration like other destinations?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by drtravels (edited 01-09-2001).]
Old Jan 9, 2001, 5:11 pm

Your connect time in FRA is not legal. Your flight from ORD arrives at 9:00am and the flight to DFW leaves at 9:55am. You are 5 minutes short of a legal connection. Chances are you will have no problems but if something were to happen to cause you to miss the Dallas flight (weather, pilots,. . ), American would be under no obligation to protect you since the connection time is not legal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.