Wiki Posts
Search

TWA Mileage Run Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2001, 8:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

TWA Mileage Run Suggestions?

I have vouchers from my local supermarket that are discount TWA tickets out of Omaha or Lincoln. They offer round trip fares discounted by zone. With them, I can reach either coast for $228 round trip. What I was considering doing (as I'm a high school student with only weekends free) is to go to JFK via STL and LAX (taking a red-eye over Sat night) and then fly back via STL the next day. Would TWA normally count LAX as a legal connection? Would they allow the overnight flight to count as a stay overnight?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

------------------
Jason Seiple
OMA
Old Jan 14, 2001, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
They probably won't count LAX as a legal transfer. One way to check is to look at the OMA-JFK routings on Expedia, and read the bottom of the fare rule which talks about legal connecting cities.

You might be able to maximize your miles to California by using TW's relationship with American Eagle and flying OMA-STL-LAX-SAN, but then you'd have to stay overnight on Saturday.

Personally, I'd go to SFO if the schedules permit. That way, you could leave early on Saturday morning, get out to SFO by maybe about noon, have 1pm-10pm to do some sightseeing and grab some good Chinese food and then head back out to the airport.
Old Jan 14, 2001, 11:23 pm

Jason,

I would also be very surprised if LAX is a legal connection to JFK.

Your current best bet for mileage runs on TWA are the $60 round trip fares being offered into and out of Chicago and St. Louis. These are especially nice if you're elite status or above, you get 1,000 miles minimum per segment.

TWA is offering OMA to ORD for $60 roundtrip, which after taxes comes to $80 total. For this you would get 4,000 base status miles plus 1,000 online booking bonus. Not too shabby for that money. Basically .02 cents/status mile, which most people would consider good. Especially if it transfers to AA.

I was planning on doing a series of these, but now not so sure considering the takeover. I'm already Elite 1 this year, so no worry. The first clss upgrades do help with the mileage runs though.

If you're really hard up to do this kind of run, I figured it would be possible to do two round trips or 8 segments per day, plus with that coupon of yours you do the last flight to the west coast on Saturday, then take the red-eye back. In a weekend this would get you about 20,000 status miles, plus the booking bonuses. Total fare would be $80 times 2, plus your coupon fare to the west coast.

Have fun.

Tickets have to be bo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.