Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Did the snow spoil your mileage run (and status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2000, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I was just wondering (from a snowy White Plains) how many of you were denied of your 'status' by the snow this weekend?

I'd love to hear the sad stories about status that was just missed by a few miles because of the storm.

New Years resolution #1

I WILL NOT WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO DO A MILEAGE RUN.

This should be good.

Regards,
Dan
Old Dec 30, 2000, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Good resolution! I was fortunate: my year-end "mileage run" (not strictly a mileage run, since I had to make the trip, but I took a longer route than necessary to reach AA EP) was two weeks ago. My Sunday night BOS-ORD flight was cancelled. I stayed over and took the first flight to leave (first one scheduled out was cancelled too) on Monday. If I had been booked on the same flights this weekend, the scenario would have repeated itself - pushing the final leg from 2000 into 2001.

As it happens, I would have earmed EP anyhow, but I would have needed two USAirways shuttle flights to post - which seems to take ages, and I wouldn't officially be there yet!
Old Dec 30, 2000, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would actually find out if the snow killed anyone's mileage runs as well. I am terribly sorry if it did.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
There are a couple of threads in the Delta forum about people who were counting on year-end trips to reach whatever level and had them cancelled due to weather (or, in one or two cases, mechanical problems). The discussion is mostly about what, if anything, they can do to salvage their expected status.

I think Delta has extended the deadline to requalify for an existing level (though not to reach a new one). I don't recall the details, since they don't affect me directly, but check those threads or with DL directly.

[This message has been edited by Efrem (edited 01-01-2001).]
Old Dec 31, 2000, 1:56 am

For their current Elite members, Delta will probably count the miles because of the pilot situation. I received a letter from Delta saying that any flights lost because of the pilot or associated problems would be credited to my account even if they had to fly me on another carrier. I'll think they'll be responsible simply because of the pilot problem.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 6:12 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I was lucky. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/004290.html , which arguably could have been here instead of the United board in the first place.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta, AA
My milage runs start the second week of January and run through March--fares are low, deals are out there, and if the weather becomes an issue--reschudule!
Old Jan 3, 2001, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
My Platinum challenge runs Oct 16 to January 15. Doing BDL,JFK,LAX and back next weekend. The 500 pts minimum per bdl-jfk run are great for a 120 mile flight. And yes, flights ARE dirt cheap right now.

Thanks yet again to you all. One year ago I never heard of this site, now I'm gonna be AA platinum because of it.

Thumper

Old Jan 4, 2001, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
my mileage run on AA was almost ruined by the snowstorm in new york new year's weekend. you can read all about it in my (rather lengthy) post here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/002197.html

the report is mostly about AA ineptitude and not about the snow, but it's worth a look ... i only mention it herebecause there might be some who don't normally monitor the AA forum.

[This message has been edited by UK Stages (edited 01-04-2001).]
Old Jan 4, 2001, 9:44 am

You would think that taking 2 short mileage runs around Minnesota in December, during the Christmas rush would get interrupted by snow one way or another. No way, not this year. Actually, it was the best day to go flying, we had a clear and sunny day, but it was very cold. I was very lucky, I think. It wasn't the SNOW that interrupted my needed miles, it was NWA. So far, they have only credited me for 1 trip that day and not 2. I needed the miles from both trips to qualify for my elite status. I've emailed them, requesting my missing flight, hopefully they get it fixed….
Old Jan 4, 2001, 10:07 am

I scheduled two, crazy year-end trips to ensure elite status on TWA for this year. I flew STL-MCI-STL-ORD on the 26th and returned on the 27th. Amazingly, all those flights went well, 6,000 miles in the bank.

Then, here's the nutty one: STL-MCI-STL-DCA-JFK on the 29th and returned on the 31st. I was a bit nervous when the snowstorm appeared headed towards the east coast. I got in fine on Friday the 29th. Then, as everyone knows, it dumped a foot of snow on Saturday and totally shut down the NYC airports. I got to JFK a bit early on Sunday morning for my return flights. But everything turned out fine. The airport was actually a bit deserted. The incoming plane arrived on time and we left a bit late for DCA. No worries. Pretty amazing if you think about it. That trip was worth 8,000 miles towards elite.

So my Elite 1 status is set for 2001, another year of 100% upgrades to first class for me.
Old Jan 9, 2001, 3:57 pm

Too bad Twa just filed Bankruptcy!
Old Jan 9, 2001, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But with any luck, now he'll have AA status!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.