Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Continental status miles

Continental status miles

Old Dec 14, 2000, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Continental status miles

Are there any secrets to padding status miles to europe. Will LGA-IAH-europe price out as cheaply on an excersion fare as EWR-europe?

Also when using Continental.com E Service,
what is muti city feature. I did not think this was for discounted excersion R.T. Also I see you are limited to 5 segments total. 2 on the outbound & 3 on the return.(or vica versa) how is this helpful? How would one go about planning a 6(or more) segment trip, from what i see the limit is 5 total????? AM I MISSING SOMETHING??
Thanks. All the best
[This message has been edited by writetorich (edited 12-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by writetorich (edited 12-16-2000).]
Old Dec 14, 2000, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Where/what is IAU?
Old Dec 14, 2000, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by writetorich:
Are there any secrets to padding status miles to europe. Will LGA-IAH-europe price out as cheaply on an excersion fare as EWR-europe?
Old Dec 14, 2000, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Warrenlm:
Where/what is IAU?
Very Sorry. I meant to say Houston (IAH)
Thank you for your gracious intrest
Old Dec 14, 2000, 6:16 pm

don't have the exact answer, although I am sure you can do a multi-city search on expedia to find out pretty easily

However, I can add that in Feb this year I did:

SFO-IAH-AUS-IAH-EWR-CDG-...-SFO with a multi-day stopover in AUS and that priced out the same as SFO-EWR-CDG direct (with the exception of the airport fees). The AUS stopover allowed me to see a friend and get Silver by about 200 miles...

I should add that you can usually do LGA-DFW/ORD-Europe as the same as JFK-Europe on AA

[This message has been edited by fallinasleep (edited 12-14-2000).]
Old Dec 15, 2000, 3:18 am

IAH is not listed as a valid connection city in the fare rules shown on expedia. The low fares route NYC-Europe period. You could call CO and play with multi city features on line to see if any long routings come up.
Old Dec 15, 2000, 7:13 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Playing with the multi city functions in COOL is an excellent suggestion. It might come up with a routing that a "live" person would not think of or offer if you called.
Old Dec 15, 2000, 12:16 pm

absoluely right. because sometimes i've seen things price the same with a roundtrip between ewr-iah tacked on the front just because the iah-ewr flight has the same number as the ewr onward flight.
Old Dec 15, 2000, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Vulcan:
Playing with the multi city functions in COOL is an excellent suggestion. It might come up with a routing that a "live" person would not think of or offer if you called.
what is muti city feature. I did not think this was for discounted excersion R.T. Also I see you are limited to 5 segments total. 2 on the outbound & 3 on the return.(or vica versa) how is this helpful? How would one go about planning a 6(or more) segment trip, from what i see the limit is 5 total????? AM I MISSING SOMETHING??
Thans. All the best
Old Dec 16, 2000, 4:15 am

COOL does limit you to five segments in their multicity mode, as does Expedia. You would have to play with the From/To cities a bit to get more. (Some From/To city selections will bring up multiple segments on their own.) But you can get 8 segments plugged into AMEX ITN or the United ITN site (apparently uses same engine). You just have to be careful about losing the low fare and going into point to point.
Old Dec 18, 2000, 3:31 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Through COOL, request connections through NW hubs: LGA---DTW---Europe may allow you: LGA-(CLE)-DTW-(IAD)-(AMS)-XXX where the CLE connection between LGA and DTW, and the IAD and AMS connections are allowed between DTW and Europe. You may end up on a lot of NW aircraft, but it will give you the mileage.
Old Dec 18, 2000, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
Through COOL, request connections through NW hubs: LGA---DTW---Europe may allow you: LGA-(CLE)-DTW-(IAD)-(AMS)-XXX where the CLE connection between LGA and DTW, and the IAD and AMS connections are allowed between DTW and Europe. You may end up on a lot of NW aircraft, but it will give you the mileage.
Thank You very much V.J. for your time and gracious intrest. A good suggestion which had not occurred to me. I will implement your idea and report results back. ( I am planning my third trip of 1-2-3-)
Old Dec 20, 2000, 11:00 am

In planning my own year-end mileage run, I have disovered an interesting feature.. Instead of EWR, I can book PHL departure, change in EWR to LGW, and return to PHL via EWR, and all at a cost of $444 from PHL vs. $1165 EWR.. Same flights, same days, and I pick up 1000 more status miles... hmmmmm. Sometimes flying out of a hub just doesn't pay....
Old Dec 20, 2000, 12:45 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
And of course, if you called CO and registered for the GGONE HHMO promotions, you most likey will get an addtional 6,000 bonus miles: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum20/HTML/001605.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.