Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need 1 Segment on UA for 1K!!??!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2000, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Need 1 Segment on UA for 1K!!??!!

I have an associate who had no idea that to make 1K next year you need only 90 segments instead of 100. He just checked and he is at 89 segments with no further travel plans through the end of the year. He called the Mileage Plus desk and they said no exceptions even for one segment.

Question is: What sort of ideas does anyone have for him to get this last segment? He is based in Chicago and lives in the northern suburbs. He can fly out of ORD or MKE but really doesn't want to have to make a true "mileage run". He is ticked at UA but figures because of a heavy travel schedule it would be a waste to miss 1K by 1 segment.

Any ideas?
Old Dec 14, 2000, 7:31 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
If he doesn't have any other travel planned, it looks like he may HAVE to go on a "quick run." I would suppose that you could always call UA and ask them to "let it slide" but why get so close and leave something to chance?

Just go to Dreammaps at http://www.travelocity.com and book a quick flight.

Who knows, he might even find a cheap flight to somewhere he wouldn't mind going!

Old Dec 14, 2000, 7:53 pm
In memoriam

Just pick the closest place that either Southwest or Airtran fly from Chicago. He'd be foolish to not do this.
Old Dec 14, 2000, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
ORD-MKE: $146 r/t after tax, and on 12/24 and 12/25 the fares don't require an overnight stay.

It's probably about the fastest flight out there. I'm not sure it's the cheapest.
Old Dec 14, 2000, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Check back with Mileage Plus, I was told that they have actually lowered 1K to not only 90 segments, but only 84K Miles.

Fly ORD to SBD - South Bend

Originally posted by ORDJR:
I have an associate who had no idea that to make 1K next year you need only 90 segments instead of 100. He just checked and he is at 89 segments with no further travel plans through the end of the year. He called the Mileage Plus desk and they said no exceptions even for one segment.

Question is: What sort of ideas does anyone have for him to get this last segment? He is based in Chicago and lives in the northern suburbs. He can fly out of ORD or MKE but really doesn't want to have to make a true "mileage run". He is ticked at UA but figures because of a heavy travel schedule it would be a waste to miss 1K by 1 segment.

Any ideas?
Old Dec 15, 2000, 9:20 am

Try going to Detroit or Indianapolis from Chicago. I think both of those are also cheap.
Old Dec 15, 2000, 9:33 am
Original Poster

He actually just called me and told me that he "researched" it last night and bought a MKE-GRR RT for $60. He is going to fly the MKE-ORD segment and get off and not finish the trip. Assume he will cab it or something up to MKE.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Thanks for all of the tips.
Old Dec 15, 2000, 11:43 am
In memoriam

Sure hope he doesn't get caught!! That's an awful fat FF account to jeopardize by violating fare rules.

That's not the most advisable way to achieve his goal. Would have been much better to buy a non-stop roundtrip and then cancel the return leg.
Old Dec 16, 2000, 3:13 pm

For a million dollars, I might chance it. For 1K, no way!

Dot every i and cross every t.
Old Dec 17, 2000, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What your friend is suggesting is a pretty obvious scam. It's also against UA's terms of transportation, and your friend could face worse penalties than not making 1K.

d
Old Dec 17, 2000, 12:36 pm

wow, gotta agree with everyone else. your friend would be crazy to get off at ORD. warn your friend about the possible consequences. how tough can it be to fly a round trip? It'll cost him a few hours and a hundred bucks or so. He'll get 1K treatment through Feb 2002 and six systemwides (that are easily worth 150,000 miles to me and several thousand dollars to most other people).
Old Dec 18, 2000, 3:24 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
I wonder if it's too late.....

UA publishes a $22 RT fare on the Van Galder bus from O'hare to Rockford. Supposedly it can only be sold with a connecting "flight" but he/she may be able to use it somehow.

[This message has been edited by Viajero Joven (edited 12-18-2000).]
Old Dec 18, 2000, 3:55 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
The bus does not count as a segment towards status on United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.