Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick segments out of SFO or LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2000, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Quick segments out of SFO or LAX

I am going to be in SFO on November 29 for a meeting at the UA RCC. I am flying back to ORD through LAX to maximize my segments. I will have approximately 8 hours to kill before my return (Between approx. 2P and 10P) and would like some suggestions on any low cost flights that I may be able to earn multiple segments on and still have enough time to catch my flight back to ORD. Need UA segments. Not crazy about turboprops.
Any suggestions?
Old Nov 27, 2000, 10:07 am
SST

Mmmmm. Not crazy about turboprops, eh? You're pretty limited then. You can get SFO-RNO or SFO-SBA, or go back and forth to LAX/ONT/BUR within 8 hours, but none are MULTI-Flight (over 2 segment) trips. Now, booked correctly, you can go SJC-SFO-SAX/SBA/etc., by using the Bus. Does anyone know whether this gets a "segment" under the program? You'd maximize this by flying in to SJC instead of SFO, with the "bus" connection down to SJC, too. (Use it as your first segment, after your meeting at the RCC).

Prop alternatives include SFO-FAT-Whereever you can get back from, or SFO-LAX(jet), and LAX-ONT or LAX-SNA(prop). There might be enough frequency for you to go SFO-(LAX or BUR)-LAS, and still be back in the 8 hours, and stay all jet. Just some thoughts. Anyone else see other possibilities?
Old Nov 27, 2000, 10:28 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
The bus is being discussed in another thread:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/003803.html
Old Nov 27, 2000, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Just spoke to MP about the bus. The Bay Flyer receives 250 miles and no segments. The ORD-Rockford bus receives 500 miles and no segments. Oh well.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to price something out reasonable and get a few extra segments in.

Old Nov 27, 2000, 12:22 pm
In memoriam

What is low cost? I doubt you'll find anything under $200+ with 2 days notice.
Old Nov 27, 2000, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Anything under $300 would suffice.
Old Nov 27, 2000, 7:07 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Just be careful when you leave SFO as it has many air traffic holds and fog problems. You might leave and not be able to get back in.
Old Nov 27, 2000, 7:53 pm
In memoriam

I agree with newself. In fact, I've spent a lot of time trying to come up with something for you and all things considered, any trip with even one connection is just too risky. Just won't allow you enough time.
Old Nov 27, 2000, 8:34 pm

I agree as well, which is why I try to go into OAK. About two weeks ago, I made a trip up to the bay area to see some family. Things ran over a little, and since I had a refundable ticket, I rescheduled. They needed to take me out of SFO instead, which is okay since I expect the delays. Flight was supposed to leave at around 10:30pm, and it finally left about 11:45. I regarded it as a short delay. I have been delayed as much as 5 hours there.

Old Nov 28, 2000, 1:58 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Got it! But then U had no e-mail. Such a shame!

Old Nov 29, 2000, 1:32 am

Programs: DL: PM
I want in on any fun segment run.

------------------
I fly therefore I am!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.