Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

LGW-SGN via ASB on T5, $326 OW and $653 RT

Old May 21, 2024, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Gold, Airline TBC

Not a particularly good deal re: points earning (no frequent flyer program or partner earnings AFAIK), but could be a fun opportunity to try a niche airline and a niche airport I guess?

Runs every Wednesday to/from London and Ho Chi Minh, with one ways being the same price as a round trip.

Haven't been able to find it on Google flights, but appears to be bookable on their website and a few other OTAs - also haven't been able to see the fare conditions so I've got no idea if a stopover's allowed (probably not). From what I gather it's on a 777-200 or 300.

Not a particuarly serious posting but thought someone might have some fun with this
jms_uk and megshay like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:16 am

On the international booking tab and I am having trouble bringing up both sgn and lgw. It will let me pick one as the starting point, but not the other as the end point. This is on their website. I tried using Wednesdays but still no dice. Not sure how it is showing results for you, or what I am doing wrong.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:32 am
22H

Ditto
Old May 22, 2024, 1:57 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
I can bring this up, if you're on the main https://turkmenistanairlines.tm/en page you need to click on "Non-Resident of Turkmenistan" to call up their international site at https://turkmenistanairlinestr.com/en-US
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:29 am

Programs: AS G100K, UA Silver
Can't believe I got T5 to finally book!
Flying LGW-ASB-KUL next month
jms_uk and andreeeeew like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Gold, Airline TBC
Originally Posted by megshay
On the international booking tab and I am having trouble bringing up both sgn and lgw. It will let me pick one as the starting point, but not the other as the end point. This is on their website. I tried using Wednesdays but still no dice. Not sure how it is showing results for you, or what I am doing wrong.
Interesting - I'm currently in the UK so location may have a part to play.

Maybe the following link will work:
https://turkmenistanairlinestr.com/e...24/0/0/1/0/0/1
megshay likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:18 am

Also works to KUL
jms_uk likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Notwithstanding the lack of frequent flyer benefits on Turkmenistan Airlines (T5), perhaps this could be a good positioning flight to SGN or KUL.

It would be nice to also visit Ashgabat (ASB), if possible.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 25, 2024 at 10:38 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 6:07 am

I note that Aussies need a visa to even transit in Turkmenistan so if booking def check visa requirements for your passport.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:37 am

I note that Aussies need a visa to even transit in Turkmenistan so if booking def check visa requirements for your passport.
Not true for Australian and US passport holders if you're connecting <24 hours and not leaving the airport.
If you can somehow force a longer layover 3-7 days, you can apply for a coveted transit visa which will allow you to explore a bit without a guide.
andreeeeew likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Not true for Australian and US passport holders if you're connecting <24 hours and not leaving the airport.
If you can somehow force a longer layover 3-7 days, you can apply for a coveted transit visa which will allow you to explore a bit without a guide.
smarttraveller.com.au the Aussie gov site says "You need a visa for Turkmenistan, even if you're only transiting. Get a visa before you arrive."

you may be right but this is the official Aussie gov advise. https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des...a/turkmenistan

where did you get your visa advise from? Are you Aussie and have transited without a visa?
Old May 22, 2024, 6:59 am

smarttraveller.com.au the Aussie gov site says "You need a visa for Turkmenistan, even if you're only transiting. Get a visa before you arrive."

you may be right but this is the official Aussie gov advise. https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/des...a/turkmenistan

where did you get your visa advise from? Are you Aussie and have transited without a visa?
Timatic. Honestly, this is a bit of a fringe case since I doubt very many people (of any western nationality) transit, let alone enter Turkmenistan in a given year.
Wouldn't surprise me if some sources were inaccurate.

Edit:

Added screenshot.

megshay likes this.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; May 22, 2024 at 7:08 am Reason: added screenshot
Old May 23, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by guym4c
Also works to KUL
PEK as well.

BTW, Milan departures are even cheaper: MXP-ASB-KUL is 219 USD one way ($357 in the opposite direction)

ETA: I can't see anything after 31OCT.
andreeeeew likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Any one have any experience with stopovers and transit visas? I would love to visit and this may be an easier process than the ground tour groups and private tours with invitation letters through the Stans.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
Any one have any experience with stopovers and transit visas? I would love to visit and this may be an easier process than the ground tour groups and private tours with invitation letters through the Stans.
Yes, assuming you are a US passport holder, the embassy in DC is actually extremely helpful with transit visas via email.
It is a two step process. You first submit the documentation to the embassy for the transit visa. Once the Letter of Invitation is approved (14 days), then you mail your passport in to obtain the visa.

Are you able to force a stopover of between 3-7 days on these fares?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.