Wiki Posts
Search

AS: NYC-ANC from $231 (Basic Economy)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
AS: NYC-ANC from $231 (Basic Economy)

MileCalc gives me 9655 miles for this routing , I believe all categories earn 100% in AS, so two of these and some change for AS 25K (20 on AS metal) and OW Ruby status... 69 more for normal Eco...

Same Day Turn on Google Flights

Funny thing it seems the MAX on Alaska don't have WiFi... If someone can explain the logic, please let me know (I assume some plans for a different Internet connection, but it's a new plane in the 2020s, WiFi is default option!)

Also you can a simpler JFK-SEA-ANC on certain weekends for $248 (but only 7738 miles)
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
If you fly JFK-SEA-ANC on 4/30 you can return the morning of 5/1 (with a long PDX layover) for the same price... marginally more miles.

EWR-SEA-FAI-ANC is also an option. For a few extra bucks, there are multi-stop itineraries out of JFK as well.

Thank you jfkeze for sharing!

-J.
jfkeze likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Feb 24, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Departing 4/30, returning 5/1: (saver fares of course)
JFK-SEA-FAI-ANC/ANC-PDX-JFK $252
JFK-SFO-SEA-ANC/ANC-PDX-JFK $253

I booked the first one, main cabin only $80 more (a.k.a. excuse to use up wallet funds). 1 hour in SEA, 5 hours in FAI and ANC each, 7 hours in PDX. Going to be a fun weekend. My birthday present to myself!

-J.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK-ANC-JFK is now $268-275. Still not a terrible deal.

Also some availability in October, November, December.

-J.
jfkeze likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Mar 1, 2022 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Just wanted to confirm in new American Loyal points program qualify Basic Economy for LP points (25% of Actual miles) ?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This disappeared for several days but now is inexplicably back.

JFK-SFO-SEA-ANC-FAI-SEA-JFK for $258 on 5/7-9 (a little over 2.8 cpm)

-J.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, if there are folks flying to ANC this week/weekend, request popped up for a Chick-Fil-A run over in Alaska forum: Delivery of Chick-Fil-A to Anchorage

David
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Cross posting from the AS Schedule change thread (hope that's fine). I'm booked on this run April 5th-6th with a separate itinerary taking me from SEA to EWR and back. A schedule change is changing my original routing of LAX - ANC - PDX to LAX - SJC - PDX . Thoughts on how to best take this up with AS ?

The routing "Before" and "After"
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Crackedhead
Cross posting from the AS Schedule change thread (hope that's fine). I'm booked on this run April 5th-6th with a separate itinerary taking me from SEA to EWR and back. A schedule change is changing my original routing of LAX - ANC - PDX to LAX - SJC - PDX . Thoughts on how to best take this up with AS ?

The routing "Before" and "After"
I think you have two options, one is you take it up with AS, And then you have two sub options, one is you can say you really need to get to Anchorage, and make up some story, the other would be that you can be completely honest, they know people mileage run, tell them that that is what you were doing, tell them you want the original routing back and to get you on the next closest Flights
The other option would be to keep the flights they have rescheduled You on. Though I’ve never done it it seems like you should be able to request original routing credit but personally I would be worried that they would not grant this and would rather them just get the routing back to how it was before.
I’m also doing multiple similar mileage runs, as 10,000 EQM round-trip for around $300 is probably one of the best my legrons there currently is, if anyone finds anything better please let me know, in another thread someone mentioned that they paid like $150 for eight flights because Alaska was price matching Delta, I’m not sure if this is true or not but if anyone found a routing that this is applicable, please message me
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I booked my ticket, I actually did it as a multi-city JFK-SEA, SEA-FAI, FAI-ANC, and ANC-JFK. It was a PITA but I feel like it protects me from a situation like this.

That really sucks I would ask for ORC and hope for the best. Is it still decent mileage if you go via SJC? If not you may just want to cut your losses and cancel.

-J.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVPG 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
When I booked my ticket, I actually did it as a multi-city JFK-SEA, SEA-FAI, FAI-ANC, and ANC-JFK. It was a PITA but I feel like it protects me from a situation like this.

That really sucks I would ask for ORC and hope for the best. Is it still decent mileage if you go via SJC? If not you may just want to cut your losses and cancel.

-J.
That's actually how I booked as well - and with P3 using a companion pass. Plan on calling in later today and will update back. In my experience, ORC works great for IRROPS - never had to ask for it for a schedule change before.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Crackedhead
That's actually how I booked as well - and with P3 using a companion pass. Plan on calling in later today and will update back. In my experience, ORC works great for IRROPS - never had to ask for it for a schedule change before.
I booked two of these mileage run round trips, one of them I booked two one-way flights, I was even lucky enough to find A routing through LAX and San Francisco on the way back, and then on my second one I booked one way, but for the other way I couldn’t find it for a good price but I was able to Multi city it and i’ve got the price back till 130-ISH one way and going through San Diego. The unfortunate thing about all this that everybody keeps not mentioning, is that even though the price is good at like 130-ish Dollars from New York to Fairbanks or Anchorage, That is in Saver, and I’m guessing that about at least half of us are paying extra to be in Main because we want to be upgraded
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually had the option the other day (not sure if it's still available) to add SFO into my routing for an extra $4.50 (at the expense of being able to leave the airport in FAI). I'm still thinking about it.

Originally Posted by RaingerRain
I booked two of these mileage run round trips, one of them I booked two one-way flights, I was even lucky enough to find A routing through LAX and San Francisco on the way back, and then on my second one I booked one way, but for the other way I couldn’t find it for a good price but I was able to Multi city it and i’ve got the price back till 130-ISH one way and going through San Diego. The unfortunate thing about all this that everybody keeps not mentioning, is that even though the price is good at like 130-ish Dollars from New York to Fairbanks or Anchorage, That is in Saver, and I’m guessing that about at least half of us are paying extra to be in Main because we want to be upgraded
For the first time in my life I actually splurged on a MC fare for this trip

-J.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I actually had the option the other day (not sure if it's still available) to add SFO into my routing for an extra $4.50 (at the expense of being able to leave the airport in FAI). I'm still thinking about it.

For the first time in my life I actually splurged on a MC fare for this trip

-J.
Congrats - as well as posting to 10901.

David
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RaingerRain
...in another thread someone mentioned that they paid like $150 for eight flights because Alaska was price matching Delta, I’m not sure if this is true or not but if anyone found a routing that this is applicable, please message me
That was me! It was six flights! The $100-$120 JFK-FAI Main fare was available continuously since last July. I booked it late last year for January. Routing via CA was permitted so I booked JFK-SFO-SEA-FAI arriving at 1:30 am and then departed on the 2:40 am back to SEA for the FAI-SEA-SFO-JFK return. The base fare was a little over $25 per segment & the itinerary earned 9594 EQM & 23,985 RDM.

The base fare was a little over $200 and I applied a publicly available 25% discount code to bring the base fare down to $152 (discounts apply to base fares only) and with the fees & taxes the total was $226 in Main. I mentioned the base fare of $152 in my post as it was relevant to showing the differnce of earning LP on AA. If that was an AA fare crediting to AAdvantage, it would only earn on the base fare, in this case 760 AA EQM.

To the OP,

For future reference, cross posting is a violation of FT rules. You have had response here so I suggest you delete the post in the AS forum.

As to the change in routing, I have had that happen a couple of times & in each case, calling AS reestablished the original routing without issue or push back.

You could request a refund to original form of payment; it isn't what you booked and paid for, or just cancel & rebook with the wallet funds if there is any hesitation to restore the itinerary, but I don't think it would get to that.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 29, 2022 at 9:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.