Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA: EWR-SFO $242 RT Economy in January 2022

Old Nov 6, 21, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I see some fares for one day out and back trips in the mid $200 range, for Jan 9 and Jan 15. In economy not basic economy. 5000 miles earned RT toward lifetime miles.

[14Nov2021: edited to reflect that miles earned are toward lifetime miles not award miles]

Last edited by skyscraper; Nov 14, 21 at 12:09 pm
Old Nov 7, 21, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
5000 miles earned RT
The award miles are far less than 5000; if you do not have status with UA, the award miles are the premier qualifying points (the total fare minus taxes and fees) multiplied by 5. So, the award miles are about 1000 for this fare (slightly over 2000 for the highest status pax).
Old Nov 7, 21, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Alaska had $77 one way fares JFK/SFO. They offer full mileage credit, unlike UA who would award me 8 miles per dollar spent. That's under 640 miles.

dh
Old Nov 9, 21, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
$242 is an ok deal. Not great. I have flown several trips this year for as low as $150 R/T on UA, and just flew on AA for $112. Both non-BE.

AS is probably saver (X) fare.
Old Nov 14, 21, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

I was able to book for $211 by trying a few times over a day or two. BTW, my interest is a mileage run to help reach Million Mile status so partner flights are not what I am looking for. I was counting the miles as 5000 RT contributing to lifetime miles, not award miles. Sorry, I didn't make that clear in my original post. I appreciate the feedback.
Old Nov 14, 21, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott LT Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I'm doing something similar but have easily found ~$170 with same day turns from EWR-SFO throughout the year. Just finished one today and doing another in December
Old Nov 15, 21, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

That's a really great fare. Is that basic economy or regular economy?
Old Nov 16, 21, 6:59 pm

Regular economy.
Basic economy was around $140.

Some of my mileage runs earlier in the year have had connections in LAX for the bonus 500 lifetime miles (EWR-LAX-SFO-EWR). This past weekend, I had the option to change to a confirmed seat on SFO-MCO-EWR, but was already tired and my upgrade didn't clear so just wanted to get home and sleep
skyscraper likes this.
Old Nov 18, 21, 5:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by awu25 View Post
Regular economy.

Some of my mileage runs earlier in the year have had connections in LAX for the bonus 500 lifetime miles (EWR-LAX-SFO-EWR). This past weekend, I had the option to change to a confirmed seat on SFO-MCO-EWR, but was already tired and my upgrade didn't clear so just wanted to get home and sleep
Regular economy allows for same day change to increase the BIS miles, which is more easily done with two one-way tickets for MR. If one is not interested in SDC and upgrade during BIS run, basic economy makes sense.
Old Nov 21, 21, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Regular economy.

Can you explain to this noob what you meant by what?
Old Nov 21, 21, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Can you explain to this noob what you meant by what?
Once your lifetime miles flown reach certain levels they grant you lifetime status and you don't have to worry about flying enough to get status every year.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../lifetime.html
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 21, 21, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dogcanyon View Post
Once your lifetime miles flown reach certain levels they grant you lifetime status and you don't have to worry about flying enough to get status every year.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../lifetime.html
I meant the bonus 500 LT miles.
Old Nov 21, 21, 9:58 am

I am thinking that what he meant was that even though the longer routing would not result in any more redeemable award miles (since those are calculated based on the fare), adding the extra segment for essentially the same fare was a "bonus" in that it got him 500 miles closer to lifetime status.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Nov 21, 21 at 10:07 am
Old Nov 27, 21, 6:38 am

Sorry, I just meant that I was getting the minimum 500 LT miles for having flown a very short flight. I always see that as a "bonus" during mileage runs
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 27, 21, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I just meant that I was getting the minimum 500 LT miles for having flown a very short flight. I always see that as a "bonus" during mileage runs
Why is it a minimum of 500 LT miles? I just checked, and apparently, SFO-LAX is 337 miles.

Search this Thread