https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s/18Cq

UA $384 on the same dates:
CLT-EWR-HKG-SFO-ORD-CLT
https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s/AkqP

Kmxu and s777bg like this.

Last edited by JALsnipe; Apr 8, 2021 at 9:20 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA
Wow, dates are expansive. Looks like it starts as recently as two weeks!!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:09 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Also MIA-DFW-HKG RT AA $398 to EOS.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
It's a great fare, but not much of a mileage run. The B fare basis means no RDM, EQM, or EQD earnings.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by rbAA
Also MIA-DFW-HKG RT AA $398 to EOS.
I see it as cheap as $289 for Basic and $369 for Main Cabin.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Can route via ORD/JFK - HND - HKG too. Although long overnight layover at HND on the way back.
Link here
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just booked two tickets for Chinese New Year trip for $757.70 on UA. Whether or not I can make the trip (Chinese boarder will be open or not) is the question.
Thank you, OP.
JALsnipe likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Just booked two tickets for Chinese New Year trip for $757.70 on UA. Whether or not I can make the trip (Chinese boarder will be open or not) is the question.
Thank you, OP.

Yes - good luck. I hope it works in your favour and the border opens up again.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Thank you, OP.
Good luck Kmxu! Looking forward to discussing more mileage runs with you! Are you chasing lifetime GS? Nothing good for me out of SFO these days, missed those Orlando fares...
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Good luck Kmxu! Looking forward to discussing more mileage runs with you! Are you chasing lifetime GS? Nothing good for me out of SFO these days, missed those Orlando fares...
Nope. I have not flown UA (or any other airlines) since I achieved 3MM status last December. Lifetime GS is not my goal at this moment. Thank you for reminding me..

Edit: It seems that the UA deal is dead. Someone at UA always checks my booking and fixes the bad (computer-matching) fares immediately. LOL!

Last edited by Kmxu; Apr 10, 2021 at 8:54 am
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:16 pm
ek9

also booked a trip for CNY, thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I bit the bullet and purchsed a CLT-SAN-NRT-HKG-NRT-SEA-CLT for $354 main cabin "O" Class from jal.com (FEB25-MAR02). All flights are Japan Airlines operated with US domestic segments operated by AA but marketed by JL. I was able to get AA Main Cabin Extra seating assigned in advance by logging into aa.com and using my AS Gold 75K MP status. My transfer in Tokyo did not have the NRT-HND shuffle since I do not want to add in anothe variable into the Japan quarantine situation.

I have done JAL 787 economy many times before and whilst not as roomy as the older 777s, the seating is quite adequate. The JL crews are consistently good and overall the flights are as comfortable as one can get for standard economy. If HKG is not open by my travel dates, Japan Airlines also have a "Peace of Mind" guarantee which allows free date changes.

The following is my mileage accrual for this trip credited to Alaska Airlines MP.

18,366 Actual Flight Distance
5,510 Base Miles Earned at 30% for all segments Iincluding the JL USA domestic marketed flights.
6,888 MPV Gold 75K Status Bonus (Base miles X 125%)
12,398 RDM miles
.028 Cents Per Mile ($354 / 12,398)

As far as mileage runs go, the above run is average at best. There are certainly better deals out there, but for me this run was a no brainer as I needed to fly this way anyway. I do not mind travelling economy. I usually pick the aisle seat "third to last" middle row on the TPAC flights for a 50/50 chance of getting 4 seats to myself to sleep.

Thanks to OP for bringing this to my attention.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
It's a great fare, but not much of a mileage run. The B fare basis means no RDM, EQM, or EQD earnings.
Booked MIA-DFW-HKG RT for $341.55 on 4/09. O class fare, regular economy ticket. B fares were $298.xx.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:06 pm

If you book this on JAL and HK doesn't open up to quarantine-free travel by your travel date, you will not be able to make a free change and the couple hundred dollar you saved here on the fare will mean nothing compared to the cost of quarantine hotel or the ticket change fee+fare difference.

But if you book this on AA via DFW, you're safe. Because unlike JAL, AA most likely won't resume the DFW-HKG flight until HK opens up, and once they cancel your flight you will be able to request a full refund.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by kchanbeki
But if you book this on AA via DFW, you're safe. Because unlike JAL, AA most likely won't resume the DFW-HKG flight until HK opens up, and once they cancel your flight you will be able to request a full refund.
AA is scheduled to resume DFW-HKG on June 3rd. This is, of course, subject to change, but it is likely to be well before Hong Kong makes any move to re-open to international visitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.