Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA: LAX - MCO as low as $65 r.t. G fare 1.6cpm possible

Old Sep 3, 20, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre 

There is a great deal for trips in Oct / Nov LAX-MCO. Appears direct flights are the only ones qualifying for the $65-$71 r.t. prices, but with some SDC creativity near ToD, I'm sure it will be possible to reroute LAX-EWR-MCO / MCO-EWR-LAX to maximize mileage and get the cpm from 2.6cpm to 1.6cpm. I have booked a couple already... one for a quick turn, and another for an anniversary trip to the beautiful Florida beaches (away from Miami).
Kmxu and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 3, 20, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
LAX-MCO-LAX = 2 x 2212 = 4424 miles

LAX-EWR-MCO-EWR-LAX = 2 x 3385 = 6770 miles

At $71 that would be 1.6 cpm or 1.05 cpm, respectively.

Yet I wonder how willing the agents would be to let one travel via EWR. To pay for that routing costs $130 vice $71.

Indeed, do the fare rules for the lower price have routing restrictions?
Old Sep 3, 20, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre 
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
LAX-MCO-LAX = 2 x 2212 = 4424 miles

LAX-EWR-MCO-EWR-LAX = 2 x 3385 = 6770 miles

At $71 that would be 1.6 cpm or 1.05 cpm, respectively.

Yet I wonder how willing the agents would be to let one travel via EWR. To pay for that routing costs $130 vice $71.

Indeed, do the fare rules for the lower price have routing restrictions?
I do believe that check-in, I should be able to switch the routing as long as the fare class is available. Pricing is different today for the routing through any hub, but that should not matter after check-in when the SDC options become available.

And yes.. i made a mistake in the math and posted the calc for direct flight option.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jjmoore; Sep 3, 20 at 10:01 pm
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.94 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
November or later trips

Currently (Sept and Oct), UA schedules morning LAX-MCO and afternoon MCO-LAX flights. If you book a trip in November or later, the schedule change will allow you to move to connecting flights if UA drops the second set of flights (Late evening LAX-MCO and morning MCO-LAX).
SPN Lifer and jjmoore like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
The deepest discount eastbound is now sold-out through September.
Old Sep 9, 20, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
UA is now enforcing routing rules on SDC. Also, the routing rules for the lowest G fare are clear: "TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP". So, unless the flights get cancelled or appreciably re-scheduled (more than 2 hours I think?) then you'll be taking the non-stop. Possibly a 1K can find an agent willing to bend the rules but the app won't offer connecting flights for this itinerary.

-RM
jjmoore likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:04 am

SDC

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
UA is now enforcing routing rules on SDC. Also, the routing rules for the lowest G fare are clear: "TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP". So, unless the flights get cancelled or appreciably re-scheduled (more than 2 hours I think?) then you'll be taking the non-stop. Possibly a 1K can find an agent willing to bend the rules but the app won't offer connecting flights for this itinerary.

-RM
I bought a BE ticket for nonstop RDU-ORD last month and UA App offered me connecting flight options on both directions when I checked in. This was definitely related to the pandemic precaution. The message was that your flight may be oversold (actually, there were more than ten empty seats). So, there is chance that UA does not strictly enforce the routing rules for some situations, for example, when a flight is nearly full. I will find out whether or not SDC option will be offered to me on G fare this weekend and report it back here.
Keep safe.

Edit: App offered SDC options of EWR-ORD-MCO after I boarded LAX-EWR flight. EWR-IAD-MCO option was never offered even though G class was available on both segments.
RobOnLI likes this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 13, 20 at 6:27 am
Old Sep 10, 20, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Mlife Noir
Although not the optimal cpm, I booked a couple of LAX-ORD-MCO-IAD-LAX for under $100 to get closer to lifetime status.

Wide body for both the longer flights. LAX-ORD red-eye has been clearing pretty easily. IAD-LAX has been harder but havenít missed an upgrade yet and some days the aircraft has selectable premium economy seats.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by ICN1K View Post
Although not the optimal cpm, I booked a couple of LAX-ORD-MCO-IAD-LAX for under $100 to get closer to lifetime status.

Wide body for both the longer flights. LAX-ORD red-eye has been clearing pretty easily. IAD-LAX has been harder but havenít missed an upgrade yet and some days the aircraft has selectable premium economy seats.
If you like to switch from LAX-ORD-MCO to LAX-EWR-MCO, you will have to call to make it happen. There are very few people waitlisting for upgrade on LAX-EWR. You will have to use 20 PlusPoints for upgrade on LAX-EWR, but LAX-ORD is CPU. I might miss upgrade on both segments of MCO-IAD-LAX this weekend as 1K even with PlusPoints request. BTW, your entire itinerary only costs 20 PlusPoints.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
If you like to switch from LAX-ORD-MCO to LAX-EWR-MCO, you will have to call to make it happen. There are very few people waitlisting for upgrade on LAX-EWR. You will have to use 20 PlusPoints for upgrade on LAX-EWR, but LAX-ORD is CPU. I might miss upgrade on both segments of MCO-IAD-LAX this weekend as 1K even with PlusPoints request. BTW, your entire itinerary only costs 20 PlusPoints.
I believe schedule changes impacting early November will be rolled out in the coming week or two. I suspect the LAX-MCO red eye flight will be eliminated, as it was mostly in October. I will reroute via EWR when that happens and target the quick connect and arrival at 9:45am at MCO. I will keep the return the same... as I need to spend several hours in Orlando on my little mileage run taking care of a few things there (I lived there until April of this year).

This was an incredible deal... $65 r.t.

I'm doing my run on Nov. 2 returning Nov. 3. Will update my routing when schedule changes go into effect.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Looks like these fares are gone. I'm beginning to wonder if these were mistake fares, as they are now pricing into basic economy buckets only.
Old Sep 12, 20, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA restructured fares last Thursday. Many lowest fares in various markets become BE fares with substantial surcharge for economy fares.
SPN Lifer and jjmoore like this.
Old Sep 13, 20, 2:03 am

Programs: UA GS, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Wish I had the PlusPoints to do that but Iíve been hemorrhaging points. Under the old system I would earn about 26 GPUs on $30k and 600k PQM. Now not so much. At least LAX-ORD has the old flat-beds if I get the cpu.

I feel your pain on the MCO-IAD upgrade. That seems to be the hardest of the four segments Iíve been taking. At least itís the shortest. I think your chances are pretty good on the IAD-LAX. They seem to have been blocking 8 seats on the older 788 and 4 seats on the newer 788 and then unblocking and upgrading around boarding. I got battlefield upgrades that way twice on this route. Good luck
Old Sep 14, 20, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by ICN1K View Post
Wish I had the PlusPoints to do that but Iíve been hemorrhaging points. Under the old system I would earn about 26 GPUs on $30k and 600k PQM. Now not so much. At least LAX-ORD has the old flat-beds if I get the cpu.

I feel your pain on the MCO-IAD upgrade. That seems to be the hardest of the four segments Iíve been taking. At least itís the shortest. I think your chances are pretty good on the IAD-LAX. They seem to have been blocking 8 seats on the older 788 and 4 seats on the newer 788 and then unblocking and upgrading around boarding. I got battlefield upgrades that way twice on this route. Good luck
I got IAD-LAX upgrade on un-Polarized 788 with PlusPoints, but I would miss it in a Polarized bird. I was No. 8 from the last upgraded passenger. I missed LAX-EWR redeye and EWR-ORF, and of course, MCO-IAD.

I attempted SDC for the last segment, EWR-ORF into EWR-IAD-ORF. My fare class (K1) was available, but App would not let me do it. If I wanted to stay at EWR for another day (All fare buckets at 9). I would get EWR-IAD-ORF flights (Obviously, I did not go thru the change process). UA allowed this because EWR-ORF flight was almost full.

Upgrade on Saturday was easier than on Sunday for this trip. I got all four segments on Saturday (ORF-EWR-LAX-EWR-MCO), but only one for Sunday. I will find out the upgrade chance on Friday relative to Saturday next month. I got Saturday IAD-LAX-EWR upgrade cleared at request for my October trips. So, my future trips will be less stressful (from watching upgrade waitlists. ).

By the way, a benefit for doing premium transcon, LAX-EWR-LAX, is the access of United Club on both ends. But UC @ LAX is closed too early for my redeye EWR flight.

Last edited by Kmxu; Sep 14, 20 at 4:10 pm
Old Sep 15, 20, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Kmxu How many LAX-MCO runs did you book? I see you're close to your 3MM .... if I was in your shoes, I would probably have booked a few.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: