Wiki Posts
Search

UA/ANA - NYC - KUL $512 2.5cpm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
UA/ANA - NYC - KUL $512 2.5cpm

Google Flights link showing a long weekend to Kuala Lumpur for $512. 20,178 miles at 2.54 cpm.

Even better... you can also get it via SIN & SFO on the way back for $504... that works out to 21,600 miles at 2.37 cpm! (That's assuming KUL-SIN on SQ credits. If not, it's still 21,100 at 2.39 cpm)

GREAT deal.

Last edited by Boogie711; Apr 19, 2019 at 9:42 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Google Flights link showing a long weekend to Kuala Lumpur for $512. 20,178 miles at 2.54 cpm.

Even better... you can also get it via SIN & SFO on the way back for $504... that works out to 21,600 miles at 2.37 cpm! (That's assuming KUL-SIN on SQ credits. If not, it's still 21,100 at 2.39 cpm)

GREAT deal.
UA website shows 21,099 total miles (K fares on SQ earn 0%). It's still definitely a great deal, as you said, though! ^
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:16 am

Sorry if this is a basic question. If I want to maximize my PQM for United, would I book this on United or ANA airlines? I did read that United calculates the miles earned based on a multiplier of the fare? Thanks for understanding as I am still trying to fully understand how to maximize my mileage runs.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Starfighter202
Sorry if this is a basic question. If I want to maximize my PQM for United, would I book this on United or ANA airlines? I did read that United calculates the miles earned based on a multiplier of the fare? Thanks for understanding as I am still trying to fully understand how to maximize my mileage runs.
It sounds like you may be confusing PQM (Premier Qualifying Miles, which are the miles used to obtain a certain premier level with UA) with RDM (Redeeamable Miles, which are the miles you use to exchange for award flights, upgrades, etc).
  • PQM is based solely on the distance flown. Certain fare classes can multiple that number by a percentage, but the majority of economy fares (of which this flight books into) will earn PQM at 100% of the mileage flown.
  • RDM is based on a multiplier based on the fare you pay (for UA booked tickets with ticket number beginning with 016). If you have no status with UA, you multiply your base fare by 5 in order to determine the number of RDM you will receive. If you are Silver, you multiply the base fare by 7, etc. If, however, you book a ticket through ANA, you will earn RDM based on the distance traveled, multiplied by a percentage. For this fare, being a K fare, you would earn 25% of the mileage flown for RDM.
Here is a page where you can read some more about it (on the page, "Earning miles on ANA flights" refers to RDM, and "MileagePlus premier qualification" refers to PQM.): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tners/ana.html

Looking at the fare options, it's about twice the price (for one of the example fares) to book on ANA: https://flights.app.goo.gl/YHXfH
atbPy likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
It sounds like you may be confusing PQM (Premier Qualifying Miles, which are the miles used to obtain a certain premier level with UA) with RDM (Redeeamable Miles, which are the miles you use to exchange for award flights, upgrades, etc).
  • PQM is based solely on the distance flown. Certain fare classes can multiple that number by a percentage, but the majority of economy fares (of which this flight books into) will earn PQM at 100% of the mileage flown.
  • RDM is based on a multiplier based on the fare you pay (for UA booked tickets with ticket number beginning with 016). If you have no status with UA, you multiply your base fare by 5 in order to determine the number of RDM you will receive. If you are Silver, you multiply the base fare by 7, etc. If, however, you book a ticket through ANA, you will earn RDM based on the distance traveled, multiplied by a percentage. For this fare, being a K fare, you would earn 25% of the mileage flown for RDM.
Here is a page where you can read some more about it (on the page, "Earning miles on ANA flights" refers to RDM, and "MileagePlus premier qualification" refers to PQM.): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tners/ana.html

Looking at the fare options, it's about twice the price (for one of the example fares) to book on ANA: https://flights.app.goo.gl/YHXfH
Excellent information. Thank you very much. I am currently Platinum with United. So as far as PQM is concerned, would I be better off booking with United or ANA with price being the same?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Starfighter202
Excellent information. Thank you very much. I am currently Platinum with United. So as far as PQM is concerned, would I be better off booking with United or ANA with price being the same?
Seeing as price does NOT affect PQM, you should earn the same PQM (100% of miles flown) whether you book with UA or NH.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
PQM (and only PQM) miles across Star Alliance are based on the metal you fly on. Not the company you booked your ticket with. (This is different than OneWorld, where the ticket actually counts for something.)

If you book a United Flight, and it has a code share with ANA where you're on an ANA operated flight, you get the PQM for ANA. That's why the tiny KUL-SIN leg won't credit, because it's with Singapore Airlines on a fare category that won't earn any miles with SQ, even though it's a UA ticketed flight.

For example, you can fly Premium Economy to Europe. Say you fly Air Canada there and Lufthansa back in "N". N gets 150% mileage with Air Canada, but only 100% with LH. So you'll earn 150% PQM there, and 100% back. It doesn't matter if it's booked with United, Air Canada, Lufthansa, or anyone else.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:47 pm

And lifetime miles only accrual when flying on UA metal. Flying in ana/sq won't count towards lifetime
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Fantastic deal! Thanks for sharing.
Boogie711 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Even better... you can also get it via SIN & SFO on the way back for $504... that works out to 21,600 miles at 2.37 cpm!
(That's assuming KUL-SIN on SQ credits. If not, it's still 21,100 at 2.39 cpm)
GREAT deal.
Awesome deal, & it's still active for travel until Jan. 2020 (departing on Jan 8/9 seem to have the lowest fares)
The KUL-SIN sector is no longer on SQ but on Jetstar Asia
Old May 3, 2019, 3:52 pm

How were you able to book if Jetstar is not a UA partner? My booking kept getting rejected by SQ. When I called, UA said they couldn't book it.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by djsinc
How were you able to book if Jetstar is not a UA partner? My booking kept getting rejected by SQ. When I called, UA said they couldn't book it.
MH/KA isn't in *A, but you can get SIN-KUL or HKG-KUL leg on MH/KA

routing code allows

EWR-NH/UA-TYO-NH/UA-SIN-3K/MH/MI-KUL

EWR-NH/UA-HKG-CX/KA/MH-KUL (though you cannot fly on CX)

Originally Posted by kaffir76
Awesome deal, & it's still active for travel until Jan. 2020 (departing on Jan 8/9 seem to have the lowest fares)
The KUL-SIN sector is no longer on SQ but on Jetstar Asia
still see SQ/MI as an option available for KUL-SIN (-SFO-EWR) on Jan 22nd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.