Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] KE: JFK-NBO $242

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: a330300
Link to DOT Complaint Form

Two complaints could be filed: one against DL, and one against KQ, since it's unclear who is making the call to cancel these.

Helpful to include:
- Delta confirmation & receipt
- Ticket number (006-xxx)
- Kenya Airways confirmation code if available

Applicable reading on 14 CFR § 399.88:

https://crankyflier.com/2015/05/12/t...confusing-way/
https://cms.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fi...t_05082015.pdf

14 CFR § 399.88

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.

(b) A seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States or a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, must notify a consumer of the potential for a post-purchase price increase due to an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee and must obtain the consumer's written consent to the potential for such an increase prior to purchase of the scheduled air transportation, tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation. Imposition of any such increase without providing the consumer the appropriate notice and without obtaining his or her written consent of the potential increase constitutes an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712.

[Doc. No. DOT-OST-2010-0140, [url=https://www.law.cornell.edu/rio/citation/76_FR_23167]76 FR 23167, Apr. 25, 2011]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Just got JFK-NBO for $242 Feb 6 - 14!

Not sure if I can link from another blog here, but easy enough to search this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mbl0687
Just got JFK-NBO for $242 Feb 6 - 14!

Not sure if I can link from another blog here, but easy enough to search this.
Note this books into a G-fare on Kenya, which isn't listed as earning any Delta miles.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Note this books into a G-fare on Kenya, which isn't listed as earning any Delta miles.

is is there a link?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:11 pm

https://www.wheretocredit.com/kenya-airways/g

Earns 50% into KE, and 25% into Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88

is is there a link?
just booked JFK-NBO-JNB return for $348. Now to see if we decide to keep it.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lovefly88

just booked JFK-NBO-JNB return for $348. Now to see if we decide to keep it.
Booked both, and will decide whether I want to try NBO for the first time, but as a solo traveler, or go back to JNB where I have friends and have been before.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:39 pm

Booked both, and will decide whether I want to try NBO for the first time, but as a solo traveler, or go back to JNB where I have friends and have been before.
wouldve loves to try Kenya and even entered all my cc details but when processing it said fare increased. Been to South Africa twice already and have great friends there. Thinking about driving the Garden Route or hanging out in Durban for the week.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Delta Plat
I keep getting error on the final payment page for delta. Any solution?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I thought the deal was dead based on the links from SF, but then I played around with it some more with help from TFD and managed to get both NBO and JNB trips booked. So pumped, I've had two trips to Africa (one to JNB) fall apart before, so Africa still eludes me. I wasn't super interested in NBO, but hey, I'll go anywhere that's cheap and why not right? Still gotta buy positioning flights to NYC but I've done that before and it's not too bad.

Gonna have to open up a Vietnam Airlines Lotus account too, 100% mileage credit looks like two trips will be able to get me a 1-way award...somewhere. I'm a bit bummed it doesn't credit to DL, not like those are worth much, but I already have a small balance there, so it would've been nice to maybe top off then burn. Oh well, cheap is cheap.

I'm a solo traveler as well but most destinations don't bother me for that, I can pretty reliably occupy my own time just exploring, doesn't have to be a safari or anything, but I'm sure I'll look into stuff like that too.

Now, all that being said...how long do we wait until we think it's fair to assume these will be honoured? I have a sneaking suspicion that they won't unless Kenya Airways just decides "hey, new aircraft, we screwed up the price, but we want everyone to rave about how good our 787s are, so let's honor them". I had ET cancel an error fare on me before and with JNB prices usually being super high, I'm not sure that they'll just wanna eat these. If DL is on the hook for this, I can see them cancelling as well, just saying "sorry folks were exploiting our site, we've taken that backdoor out and all bookings are cancelled" because it seems if you actually just searched the flights on the DL site, KQ never actually showed up in the results. I'm a non-refundable guy, cuz I don't have the money to buy up lol and cuz my travel plans don't change, so when do I buy a positioning flight? When do I actually start looking at hotels/airbnbs?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
... I had ET cancel an error fare on me before and with JNB prices usually being super high...
Economy airfares on the USA-South Africa routes in the $300-range are not errors and have been offered periodically. I've traveled in economy to CPT on QR a couple of years ago -- it was gruelling.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:21 pm

I thought the deal was dead based on the links from SF, but then I played around with it some more with help from TFD and managed to get both NBO and JNB trips booked. So pumped, I've had two trips to Africa (one to JNB) fall apart before, so Africa still eludes me. I wasn't super interested in NBO, but hey, I'll go anywhere that's cheap and why not right? Still gotta buy positioning flights to NYC but I've done that before and it's not too bad.

How were you able to book it after delta blocked the G fare bucket? I can't seem to recreate your situation. I also can't find where you posted on TFD? Further, the links normally used are no longer valid on the delta site.

Last edited by aWASFlyer; Oct 30, 2018 at 4:37 pm Reason: more explanation.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:05 pm

I'm a non-refundable guy, cuz I don't have the money to buy up lol and cuz my travel plans don't change, so when do I buy a positioning flight? When do I actually start looking at hotels/airbnbs?
When's your flight? Give it a few weeks, or if your flight is far away, wait for other to report having flown it. I'm in for two, but not until March. I am unable to load the itinerary on KQ though, and thus can't select seats. That's a bummer.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by danielm
When's your flight? Give it a few weeks, or if your flight is far away, wait for other to report having flown it. I'm in for two, but not until March. I am unable to load the itinerary on KQ though, and thus can't select seats. That's a bummer.
If you search for your reservation using your Delta 006 ticket number on the KQ site, it should pull up the KQ confirmation code. I was able to select seats once into the booking on the KQ site and mobile app.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Economy airfares on the USA-South Africa routes in the $300-range are not errors and have been offered periodically. I've traveled in economy to CPT on QR a couple of years ago -- it was gruelling.
Ive never been lucky enough to see those. So I’ll take your word for it. Recently fares from SEA were like $800 iirc. My butt is used to these trips lol so I’m sure I’ll suck it up haha.

Originally Posted by Andrew Kolodgie
How were you able to book it after delta blocked the G fare bucket? I can't seem to recreate your situation. I also can't find where you posted on TFD? Further, the links normally used are no longer valid on the delta site.
Sorry if it wasn’t clear. I didn’t post anything on TFD. I used the copy/paste links they provided that the user needed to edit with their own dates. I wasn’t aware DL blocked the G fare, i did see a couple other fares of similar price while searching on ITA but I think the whole thing Centered around the G fare. I posted on SF cuz it seemed dead but when I was able to do a broader search with ITA and the TFD links I made my finds and purchases. A couple times I got booted out cuz the site said the flight just wasn’t available, didn’t reprice. I thought again it was dead, tried a couple more dates and got it to work. Booked both NBO and JNB.

Originally Posted by danielm
I booked like May and Sep so I have a LONG time to wait. But being based in YVR I also can’t wait forever to book positioning flights otherwise the cost will ruin the whole thing. I’ll always wait at least a week or two in these situations but each airline is diff so I’m interested to see what happens here.

Originally Posted by a330300

If you search for your reservation using your Delta 006 ticket number on the KQ site, it should pull up the KQ confirmation code. I was able to select seats once into the booking on the KQ site and mobile app.
I’ll give that a shot cuz I had the same problem. I can pull up the PNR from DL on the KQ app but then the booking is blank. I’m surprised the DL PNR worked at all but then they didn’t give any other PNRs like my star alliance experiences so I didn’t know exactly what to expect.

Im def gonna wanna puck a seat cuz middle for 15 hours would be murder. Sounds like the first NBO-JFK flight was 100% sold out.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by a330300

Never works. Just can't find it on KQ, even with the e-ticket number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.