Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA VACATIONS: LAX - BKK or LAX - PVG $515 for Up to 57K Points, 1665 EQD, 16650 EQM

AA VACATIONS: LAX - BKK or LAX - PVG $515 for Up to 57K Points, 1665 EQD, 16650 EQM

Old Oct 26, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Help me understand please.
From the T&C's it appears that EQD's are a percentage of dollar cost of the fare. So an "O" fare gets 10% of dollars spent. (e.g. $50 EQD for $500 fare).

I need to get about $1500 EQD equivalents. Is there anyway for me to use the vacation fare technique to get enhanced EQDs the same way I see someone getting enhanced EQMs?

(Apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am not a high mileage/dollar spender on AA).
Old Oct 26, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
I recall somewhere on FT that people were mentioning that * special fares do not always post as per the special fares chart 100% consistently anymore? Can anyone speak to that?
Old Oct 26, 18, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
Help me understand please.
From the T&C's it appears that EQD's are a percentage of dollar cost of the fare. So an "O" fare gets 10% of dollars spent. (e.g. $50 EQD for $500 fare).

I need to get about $1500 EQD equivalents. Is there anyway for me to use the vacation fare technique to get enhanced EQDs the same way I see someone getting enhanced EQMs?

(Apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am not a high mileage/dollar spender on AA).
The fares are almost all O* . This is what AA deems a "special fare" in which your EQD's are based on distance and not spend. Just like if you booked travel with a One World partner and credited to Aadvantage. The vacations team are pretty helpful if you call them. They will verify your earnings before booking.

I did verify yesterday that this vacation can be booked multiple times as I personally am planning on booking it 3 times.
Old Oct 26, 18, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Just View Post
I've found early March from JFK to BKK for less than $600 (w/o using the $130 discount). New York EXP's can earn over 2100 EQD's, 21000 EQM's, and a whopping 67,600 points. Nesting a flight while in BKK might appeal to some but that's too much time in Y for my sanity.
Can you tell me how do you ended up with 67.6K for EXP? I have a similar trip to BKK in 2 weeks (I did it trough AAV but without this promo) and my calculation from MIA are 21K where I will earn 23.1k RDM (21k * 0.50 * 2.2 as EXP), plus 1K AAV + 20K AAV Promo. Total should be 43.1K RDM with a similar amount from JFK. I have not idea from where are you getting the additional 25K, since EXP earn base miles (0.5 for "O") + 120% bonus as EXP.
Old Oct 26, 18, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
Can you tell me how do you ended up with 67.6K for EXP? I have a similar trip to BKK in 2 weeks (I did it trough AAV but without this promo) and my calculation from MIA are 21K where I will earn 23.1k RDM (21k * 0.50 * 2.2 as EXP), plus 1K AAV + 20K AAV Promo. Total should be 43.1K RDM with a similar amount from JFK. I have not idea from where are you getting the additional 25K, since EXP earn base miles (0.5 for "O") + 120% bonus as EXP.
Several people in this thread are making some pretty serious math errors. That's the source of the confusion. Your math is correct.

Example: LAX-HKG-BKK r/t
Distance: 16,618
Fare Basis: O*
Earn Rates: 50% RDM /\ 1x EQM /\ 10% EQD

RDM Earnings
Base: 16,618 * 0.5 = 8,309
EXP Bonus: 8,309 * 1.2 = 9,971
AAV Bonus: 20,000 + 1,000 = 21,000
TOTAL RDM: 39,290
Old Oct 26, 18, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Can system wides be used on O fares?
Old Oct 26, 18, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by frebay View Post
Can system wides be used on O fares?
Yes.
Old Oct 28, 18, 3:47 am

Programs: AA Gold (demoted EXP)
Just so I can get this down and coordinate some sort of 2 weeks long MR to regain AA EXP... As long as I booked the flights on AAvacations before the deadline of December 2018, I will qualify for the bonus, doesn't matter if my travel dates are in 2019 (question 1). Question 2, I read somewhere that the special fare has to include an asterisk behind the fare class (O*) in able to qualify, and O does not qualify, is that the correct assumption? Or as long as I booked the flights on aa vacations, it will qualify regardless of fare class? Question 3, who want to do this with me? lol
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:32 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by flyer89 View Post
Question 3, who want to do this with me? lol
Me! You're buying right? All RDM's are yours.
Old Oct 28, 18, 9:38 am

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I feel silly even saying this ..... You do realize that that this plan will NOT help you with 2018 AA EXP if you are still short ..... right?

BTW .... I tried to price out an itinerary last night for the mileage run listed at the top and I could not get the RT down to to the $530 range. The best I could do was the high $700s. Still not a bad deal.
Old Oct 28, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC
wow very awesome fare, I was going to try to status match to AA from UA and do a bunch of these runs, but are non-US residents exempt from PQD on AA I have seen 2 different answers online?? thanks
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:47 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post
wow very awesome fare, I was going to try to status match to AA from UA and do a bunch of these runs, but are non-US residents exempt from PQD on AA I have seen 2 different answers online?? thanks
No one is exempt from PQD.
Old Oct 28, 18, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold (demoted EXP)
Originally Posted by veeRob View Post
Me! You're buying right? All RDM's are yours.
You are in SAN, I might have to drive down there for trips, so we can departure together from SAN

Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post
Per my knowledge, for UA ff program, if you are non-US you are exempt from the dollars requirement, but for the AA ff, everyone need to qualify both through EQMs and EQDs.

Originally Posted by travelingbob View Post
I feel silly even saying this ..... You do realize that that this plan will NOT help you with 2018 AA EXP if you are still short ..... right?

BTW .... I tried to price out an itinerary last night for the mileage run listed at the top and I could not get the RT down to to the $530 range. The best I could do was the high $700s. Still not a bad deal.
I believe the $530 is with the discount code (which has already expired last night per another poster) so that's why you don't see the $530 price to BKK, it is usually around $600-700 range. If you want the $530 range, LAX - PVG or PEK.

Last edited by flyer89; Oct 28, 18 at 6:45 pm Reason: missing words...
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:18 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I’m able to pull up $478 to bkk no discount.
Old Oct 29, 18, 12:43 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by flyer89 View Post
You are in SAN, I might have to drive down there for trips, so we can departure together from SAN
Cool, keep me posted. If nothing else I'll take you to a cool brewery or coffee shop here

Originally Posted by exmike View Post
Iím able to pull up $478 to bkk no discount.
Are you sure? Can you post a screenshot or at least sample dates so we can share? That's a great price if so!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: