Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

AA VACATIONS: LAX - BKK or LAX - PVG $515 for Up to 57K Points, 1665 EQD, 16650 EQM

AA VACATIONS: LAX - BKK or LAX - PVG $515 for Up to 57K Points, 1665 EQD, 16650 EQM

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Help me understand please.
From the T&C's it appears that EQD's are a percentage of dollar cost of the fare. So an "O" fare gets 10% of dollars spent. (e.g. $50 EQD for $500 fare).

I need to get about $1500 EQD equivalents. Is there anyway for me to use the vacation fare technique to get enhanced EQDs the same way I see someone getting enhanced EQMs?

(Apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am not a high mileage/dollar spender on AA).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I recall somewhere on FT that people were mentioning that * special fares do not always post as per the special fares chart 100% consistently anymore? Can anyone speak to that?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1
Help me understand please.
From the T&C's it appears that EQD's are a percentage of dollar cost of the fare. So an "O" fare gets 10% of dollars spent. (e.g. $50 EQD for $500 fare).

I need to get about $1500 EQD equivalents. Is there anyway for me to use the vacation fare technique to get enhanced EQDs the same way I see someone getting enhanced EQMs?

(Apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am not a high mileage/dollar spender on AA).
The fares are almost all O* . This is what AA deems a "special fare" in which your EQD's are based on distance and not spend. Just like if you booked travel with a One World partner and credited to Aadvantage. The vacations team are pretty helpful if you call them. They will verify your earnings before booking.

I did verify yesterday that this vacation can be booked multiple times as I personally am planning on booking it 3 times.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by The_Just
I've found early March from JFK to BKK for less than $600 (w/o using the $130 discount). New York EXP's can earn over 2100 EQD's, 21000 EQM's, and a whopping 67,600 points. Nesting a flight while in BKK might appeal to some but that's too much time in Y for my sanity.
Can you tell me how do you ended up with 67.6K for EXP? I have a similar trip to BKK in 2 weeks (I did it trough AAV but without this promo) and my calculation from MIA are 21K where I will earn 23.1k RDM (21k * 0.50 * 2.2 as EXP), plus 1K AAV + 20K AAV Promo. Total should be 43.1K RDM with a similar amount from JFK. I have not idea from where are you getting the additional 25K, since EXP earn base miles (0.5 for "O") + 120% bonus as EXP.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fedechat
Can you tell me how do you ended up with 67.6K for EXP? I have a similar trip to BKK in 2 weeks (I did it trough AAV but without this promo) and my calculation from MIA are 21K where I will earn 23.1k RDM (21k * 0.50 * 2.2 as EXP), plus 1K AAV + 20K AAV Promo. Total should be 43.1K RDM with a similar amount from JFK. I have not idea from where are you getting the additional 25K, since EXP earn base miles (0.5 for "O") + 120% bonus as EXP.
Several people in this thread are making some pretty serious math errors. That's the source of the confusion. Your math is correct.

Example: LAX-HKG-BKK r/t
Distance: 16,618
Fare Basis: O*
Earn Rates: 50% RDM /\ 1x EQM /\ 10% EQD

RDM Earnings
Base: 16,618 * 0.5 = 8,309
EXP Bonus: 8,309 * 1.2 = 9,971
AAV Bonus: 20,000 + 1,000 = 21,000
TOTAL RDM: 39,290
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Can system wides be used on O fares?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by frebay
Can system wides be used on O fares?
Yes.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Just so I can get this down and coordinate some sort of 2 weeks long MR to regain AA EXP... As long as I booked the flights on AAvacations before the deadline of December 2018, I will qualify for the bonus, doesn't matter if my travel dates are in 2019 (question 1). Question 2, I read somewhere that the special fare has to include an asterisk behind the fare class (O*) in able to qualify, and O does not qualify, is that the correct assumption? Or as long as I booked the flights on aa vacations, it will qualify regardless of fare class? Question 3, who want to do this with me? lol
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by flyer89
Question 3, who want to do this with me? lol
Me! You're buying right? All RDM's are yours.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I feel silly even saying this ..... You do realize that that this plan will NOT help you with 2018 AA EXP if you are still short ..... right?

BTW .... I tried to price out an itinerary last night for the mileage run listed at the top and I could not get the RT down to to the $530 range. The best I could do was the high $700s. Still not a bad deal.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
wow very awesome fare, I was going to try to status match to AA from UA and do a bunch of these runs, but are non-US residents exempt from PQD on AA I have seen 2 different answers online?? thanks
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by whitethunder
wow very awesome fare, I was going to try to status match to AA from UA and do a bunch of these runs, but are non-US residents exempt from PQD on AA I have seen 2 different answers online?? thanks
No one is exempt from PQD.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by veeRob
Me! You're buying right? All RDM's are yours.
You are in SAN, I might have to drive down there for trips, so we can departure together from SAN

Originally Posted by whitethunder
Per my knowledge, for UA ff program, if you are non-US you are exempt from the dollars requirement, but for the AA ff, everyone need to qualify both through EQMs and EQDs.

Originally Posted by travelingbob
I feel silly even saying this ..... You do realize that that this plan will NOT help you with 2018 AA EXP if you are still short ..... right?

BTW .... I tried to price out an itinerary last night for the mileage run listed at the top and I could not get the RT down to to the $530 range. The best I could do was the high $700s. Still not a bad deal.
I believe the $530 is with the discount code (which has already expired last night per another poster) so that's why you don't see the $530 price to BKK, it is usually around $600-700 range. If you want the $530 range, LAX - PVG or PEK.

Last edited by flyer89; Oct 28, 2018 at 5:45 pm Reason: missing words...
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I’m able to pull up $478 to bkk no discount.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by flyer89
You are in SAN, I might have to drive down there for trips, so we can departure together from SAN
Cool, keep me posted. If nothing else I'll take you to a cool brewery or coffee shop here

Originally Posted by exmike
I’m able to pull up $478 to bkk no discount.
Are you sure? Can you post a screenshot or at least sample dates so we can share? That's a great price if so!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.