Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA - EWR -> TPE - 18068 - 3.24cpm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
W is $542 more but it is not a MR anymore.
Well, it sort of is, to those of us desperate for big-mileage trips. I will have to do long-haul MRs to get to 1K this year, and it's hard to find anything upgradeable for less than $1200 r/t. The Taipei fare appears to be around $1100 for a lot of miles, and it might be a nice alternative to the EWR-HKG route I'm considering.

I miss the days in the early 2000s when I was doing SIN and Europe runs with Systemwides for $300-700 r/t. Although I understand United's business POV, I feel resentment about the upgradeable fares being so much higher than the lowest-cost fares.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Well, it sort of is, to those of us desperate for big-mileage trips. I will have to do long-haul MRs to get to 1K this year, and it's hard to find anything upgradeable for less than $1200 r/t. The Taipei fare appears to be around $1100 for a lot of miles, and it might be a nice alternative to the EWR-HKG route I'm considering.

I miss the days in the early 2000s when I was doing SIN and Europe runs with Systemwides for $300-700 r/t. Although I understand United's business POV, I feel resentment about the upgradeable fares being so much higher than the lowest-cost fares.
Supposedly SFO-TPE is an easy upgrade route with instrument or buy up with Polaris seats.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Supposedly SFO-TPE is an easy upgrade route with instrument or buy up with Polaris seats.
I have been looking but not found any upgrades yet. It’s so slow and cumbersome to look though. Is there a quicker way than going day by day on UA website?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by anandrag

I have been looking but not found any upgrades yet. It’s so slow and cumbersome to look though. Is there a quicker way than going day by day on UA website?
Not that I know of.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:41 pm

Neverind
Edit: forgot ef only shows awards not upgrades for ua
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Pay for expertflyer (or do their trial)
Don’t think EF has UA. I use it for AA
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
$530 for EWR-SFO-TPE-SFO-EWR-YYZ.

Departing as soon as tomorrow.

Debating the SWU question myself. Not available on the outbound, about $250 extra plus GPU for the return. There will probably be whole rows in coach to be had on a pretty empty flight, which can be sufficiently comfortable. Would you take it?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by flycal312

Debating the SWU question myself. Not available on the outbound, about $250 extra plus GPU for the return. There will probably be whole rows in coach to be had on a pretty empty flight, which can be sufficiently comfortable. Would you take it?
That’s a tough call. I would definitely take the upgrade on return. And would gladly pay $250 more on outbound for business.

What dates are you looking at?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist

I'm halfway through this run at the moment. I paid the fare difference on the return seeing there was a guaranteed upgrade from TPE - SFO after applying the GPU. I thought that the upgraded seat plus the ability to access the Polaris lounge in SFO were worth the money. I'm wait listed for the SFO-EWR upgrade and I don't expect it to clear.

Update SFO-EWR Upgrade: It didn't clear, even with a higher fare class and 40+ hours advanced check-in I was 5th from the top.

Last edited by edsh; Sep 12, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by edsh
I'm halfway through this run at the moment. I paid the fare difference on the return seeing there was a guaranteed upgrade from TPE - SFO after applying the GPU. I thought that the upgraded seat plus the ability to access the Polaris lounge in SFO were worth the money. I'm wait listed for the SFO-EWR upgrade and I don't expect it to clear.
I ended up doing the same. R was available at booking for a long flight for minimal cost and could check out the SFO lounge.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:03 pm

I ended up doing the same. R was available at booking for a long flight for minimal cost and could check out the SFO lounge.
Would love to know how much you paid for the W class and any details on routing, Day of week etc
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:13 pm

Would love to know how much you paid for the W class and any details on routing, Day of week etc
Flying back on a Wednesday, the premium over lowest coach bucket was $250 for the return, in my case.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:14 pm

Flying back on a Wednesday, the premium over lowest coach bucket was $250 for the return, in my case.
Thx. And R class opened up yesterday?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:31 am
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred

I left in Thursday and just got back yesterday, Tuesday. Y tickrt in PE.

I did EWR-SFO-TPE and TPE-NRT-EWR

The long legs are SFO-TPE and NRT-EWR.

I had the whole row in PE to myself in both. In fact plenty of other people did as well. Slept no problem, plenty of pillows and blankets. Lay flat seating without the price. There were Polaris seats empty on both those legs too. I'm Platinum not 1K so no GPUs. But this was an extended MR so i was good either way.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by skyccord
I left in Thursday and just got back yesterday, Tuesday. Y tickrt in PE.

I did EWR-SFO-TPE and TPE-NRT-EWR

The long legs are SFO-TPE and NRT-EWR.

I had the whole row in PE to myself in both. In fact plenty of other people did as well. Slept no problem, plenty of pillows and blankets. Lay flat seating without the price. There were Polaris seats empty on both those legs too. I'm Platinum not 1K so no GPUs. But this was an extended MR so i was good either way.
So you mean economy plus when saying PE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.