UA & AC - SAN - PVG for $438 USD

Old Jan 30, 18, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail

Read 'em and weep:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...8668;a=-MF,-HX

Great availability out of SAN for most of February, March and April. Can fly either with AC or UA including the possibility for fast turn arounds. Either way you'll be earning 100% miles on UA.

Couple more options available in the USA:If you hate travelling middle seat for these journeys, premium cabin also seems to be decent:Also I'm guessing immigration is no issue if you're laying over in PVG for 90 mins?

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by j2simpso; Jan 30, 18 at 3:21 pm Reason: Additional routes available.
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Also I'm guessing immigration is no issue if you're laying over in PVG for 90 mins?
Actually that will be a huge problem; you likely won't be able to check-in since a visa would be required. TWOV is only good is departing back to a country you didn't come inbound from. SAN-YVR-PVG-SFO-SAN would technically work without a visa if you could get it to price.
Old Jan 30, 18, 7:37 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75K , Expedia +Gold
Deleted

Last edited by westleyl; Jan 30, 18 at 7:43 pm
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Possible to route via TYO to Bypass Restriction on AA/JAL

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Actually that will be a huge problem; you likely won't be able to check-in since a visa would be required. TWOV is only good is departing back to a country you didn't come inbound from. SAN-YVR-PVG-SFO-SAN would technically work without a visa if you could get it to price.
If you absolutely must you can always route around Tokyo to bypass that restriction (i.e. SAN -> TYO then TYO -> PEK ; PEK -> SAN) for $488 USD:
https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...-LAXSAN0AA2990

You'll have an overnight in Tokyo which will make for a great sushi run before taking off from the Tokyo's main airport Haneda and be able to spend a good day in Beijing to stretch out your legs before the next long haul. Since you're arriving in China from Japan and leaving for the US I suspect TWOV will apply.

Under this routing you should get approximately 3.2 CPM.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
If you absolutely must you can always route around Tokyo to bypass that restriction (i.e. SAN -> TYO then TYO -> PEK ; PEK -> SAN) for $488 USD:

You'll have an overnight in Tokyo which will make for a great sushi run before taking off from the Tokyo's main airport Haneda and be able to spend a good day in Beijing to stretch out your legs before the next long haul. Since you're arriving in China from Japan and leaving for the US I suspect TWOV will apply.

Safe Travels,

James
Yep, that'll work!
Old Mar 5, 18, 1:04 am

Safe Travels,

James
Can you route this again? Getting $653 when I click your link...

Thanks
Old May 3, 18, 10:05 am

Looks like this is back. Bunch of ~$480 fares. AA as well.
Old May 3, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
Wow, you can leave tonight from SAN and return Monday night for 459.00 or leave tomorrow for 5.00 less.
Old May 3, 18, 10:46 pm

FYI: The People's Republic is now collecting fingerprints from foreigners at immigration.
Old May 4, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
PVG

At PVG, your first greeting is the finger-print machines, for foreigners. Then, you will have your temperature taken (just walk through) and then immigration procedure or TWOV.
Old May 9, 18, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
At PVG, your first greeting is the finger-print machines, for foreigners. Then, you will have your temperature taken (just walk through) and then immigration procedure or TWOV.
What about transit passengers who do not enter China?
Old May 9, 18, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k 2MM
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
What about transit passengers who do not enter China?
I transited PVG at T2 last week [from CX flight to UA flight] and needed to go to immigration-customs line at far left [24h-144h TWOV line], but still needed to fill out separate TWOV visa form, do thumb fingerprint [both hands] as well as get picture taken. Then I needed to re-enter airside and get past security later.

There is a transit desk where you do not need to go through this hassle, but the sign says:
customers may be through-checked when transiting via Shanghai/Pudong in the same day with an international onward connection to/from Lufthansa (LH), Austrian Air (OS), Swiss International (LX), Scandinavian (SK), Eva Air (BR), and Virgin Atlantic (VS) airline partners.
Old May 9, 18, 5:47 pm

Thank you. Anyone know how it's done at PEK when connecting from and to Air China?