Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A: NYC-KUL, BKK-NYC $280 ai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

*A: NYC-KUL, BKK-NYC $280 ai

Just booked the EWR-NRT-KUL deal, but with a slight modification. I am doing EWR-NRT-KUL, followed immediately by KUL-NRT, then a week in Tokyo and NRT-EWR. Priced at $400 which is not exactly the cheapest MR, but now it's a ticket to Tokyo (except, of course, having to suffer through 14 extra hours r/t to KUL in NH 787).

So, if you are looking to go to Tokyo, and don't mind extra flying - keep this in mind. Available same dates as the primary deal.

Also, EWR-KUL, BKK-EWR prices at $280 for March 1-13 (+/- 3 days)

BTW, for some reason UA site tells me that KUL-NRT is not going to earn miles, but as far as I can tell that is incorrect.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by br2k
Just booked the EWR-NRT-KUL deal, but with a slight modification. I am doing EWR-NRT-KUL, followed immediately by KUL-NRT, then a week in Tokyo and NRT-EWR. Priced at $400 which is not exactly the cheapest MR, but now it's a ticket to Tokyo (except, of course, having to suffer through 14 extra hours r/t to KUL in NH 787).

So, if you are looking to go to Tokyo, and don't mind extra flying - keep this in mind. Available same dates as the primary deal.

BTW, for some reason UA site tells me that KUL-NRT is not going to earn miles, but as far as I can tell that is incorrect.
ANA-operated flights within Japan with an international connection; and ANA-operated flights that are trans-Pacific or intra-Asia (excluding flights between Japan and Australia, mainland China or India)

MileagePlus Premier qualificationfootnote 7
Class of service Purchased fare class Premier qualifying milesfootnote 8 Premier qualifying segments
Full fare First F 300% 1.5
First A 200% 1.5
Full fare Business J 300% 1.5
Discount Business Z, P, C, D 200% 1.5
Premium Economy G, E 150% 1.5
Full fare Economy Y 150% 1.5
Economy B, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S 100% 1
Discount Economy L, T, K 100% 1
No Premier Credit I, N, O, R, X 0% 0
All other ANA-operated flights

MileagePlus Premier qualificationfootnote 7
Class of service Purchased fare class
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:18 pm

Do you have a link for the EWR KUL, BKK EWR for $280? I tried multiple dates on GF but couldn't find jt
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.

WOW...looks like $275.26 on Orbitz for JFK-KUL/BKK-JFK for April 29-May 8. Very tempting to book another trip before they pull it. Looks like the NYC airports have the best availability March thru May (am having less luck with the California ones for then).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Discount Economy L, T, K 100% 1
Yep, it's a K fare - should earn 100% PQM and 25% award miles. Outbound TYO-KUL shown as earning, so I am pretty sure it's a UA bug.

As far as sub-$300 goes, I think above has been answered. It does require buying on one of the OTAs (I bought on Justfly, with all the extra annoyances that entails, including not being able to cancel even within 24 hours).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:42 am

I also booked this yesterday. JFK-KUL BKK-JFK Originally booked via Expedia for $345, then price on expedia dropped to $309 and other OTAs had it for $276. I asked for a price match, but expedia refused, so I canceled and rebooked on Orbitz. I was going to use Justfly for the $16 bonus, but every review I read of Justfly was awful. For full details about my experience you can see my blog post (if it gets removed, I think there's a link to my blog somewhere here). Is it time to start planning?

dates: 4/11- 4/19

my only question is 2 nights KUL and 4 BKK or 3 and 3?
Thai flight KUL-BKK - saver on UA is 8K miles.

http://willrunformiles.boardingarea.....z1p0155G.dpbs

Last edited by katstarr; Oct 27, 2017 at 6:49 am
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by katstarr
I also booked this yesterday. JFK-KUL BKK-JFK Originally booked via Expedia for $345, then price on expedia dropped to $309 and other OTAs had it for $276. I asked for a price match, but expedia refused, so I canceled and rebooked on Orbitz. I was going to use Justfly for the $16 bonus, but every review I read of Justfly was awful. For full details about my experience you can see my blog post (if it gets removed, I think there's a link to my blog somewhere here). Is it time to start planning?

If it were me it's 1 KUL and 5 BKK.

Justfly has a $150 "cancellation" fee, so effectively does not allow the 24 hour cancel/rebook. They are definitely an OTA to avoid, unless they have something others do not (in my case, only they could get the specific flight on the way back, for whatever reason).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

BTW, if Thai flies KUL-BKK on 747 (as they tend to), I'd splurge for the business class and opt for one of the seats upfront (they sometimes fly 3 class planes on that route with "first" seats but "business" service. Those "first class" seats are pretty darn good)

On the other hand, KUL-BKK could be had for about $30 on AirAsia (who are pretty nice actually) so you are getting less than 0.5cpm worth on that redemption in Y.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by katstarr

Oooh, wow, u must want to be over there for Songkhran . In all my time of going I've never been there during that time (as it always coincides with tax crunch time), but friends who live over there don't seem to like it much and usually plan trips to avoid it. The celebrations supposedly last longest in places with the most foreigners.
katstarr likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW I'm still finding $277 RT a-i on Orbitz for some dates in the late April/early May timeframe. Also for JFK-KUL/BKK-LAX double open jaw.

Really want to go ahead & book but have some potential personal schedule conflicts. That's also a prime time for other deals.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:34 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Do you have a link for the EWR KUL, BKK EWR for $280? I tried multiple dates on GF but couldn't find jt
It's available starting about Feb 12th. Pretty spotty so you'll have to search using ITA or GF.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA

Nice innovative thinking. I do that from NYC to Europe with CMN as real destination/stop-over. Also in 2015 did UA:EWR-NRT-SIN-HKG-SFO-EWR with 7 day HKG stopover for ~ $ 245.00. Though I love SIN , SIN was just 72 hours
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:12 am

So, on sunday, one of my friends was looking at my exact itinerary. It was still available for the exact dates for $275, but as she booked it jumped to $530 (which still is a pretty good deal for that itinerary - but it's not $275). Anyway, I decided to do some searching and was surprised that many of the cheap deals were still there! I even checked the links in this follow up blog post (which I wrote on Sunday) this morning. Prices are "inching up" but are still pretty outstanding.

http://willrunformiles.boardingarea.....FqG8ke5O.dpbs

I'm just excited because KUL and BKK are two destinations i've always wanted to visit, and soon I will be there.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:17 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
BTW, if Thai flies KUL-BKK on 747 (as they tend to), I'd splurge for the business class and opt for one of the seats upfront (they sometimes fly 3 class planes on that route with "first" seats but "business" service. Those "first class" seats are pretty darn good)

On the other hand, KUL-BKK could be had for about $30 on AirAsia (who are pretty nice actually) so you are getting less than 0.5cpm worth on that redemption in Y.
that's a really silly splurge for a 2hr flight, particularly with air asia as you mentioned costing 90% less
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
The base fare has risen but this is still a good deal, especially in combination with BKK or MNL.

When travelling ex LAX/SFO this fare allows routing through MEX, giving an extra 3000+ BIS-miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.