Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Open jaw from select European cities to Kenya, then returning from Ethiopia EUR274++

Open jaw from select European cities to Kenya, then returning from Ethiopia EUR274++

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec

Source: Secret Flying

Open-jaw flights from Norway, Ireland or Sweden to Nairobi, Kenya, then returning from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from only €274.

Depart from:
Oslo: €274
Dublin: €319-€331
Stockholm: €346

DEPART:
Oslo, Norway
Dublin, Ireland
Stockholm, Sweden

ARRIVE:
Nairobi, Kenya //
// Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

RETURN:
Oslo, Norway
Dublin, Ireland
Stockholm, Sweden

DATES:
Availability from November 2017 to May 2018 (excluding Christmas/New Year)

How to close the gap though?
I checked DUB-NBO on 3/3, ADD-DUB on 3/16 or 3/18 for EUR308. My challenge is how to travel cheaply from NBO to ADD. Google Flight says one way is around EUR270. I find it too expensive for a 2hr flight. If I build multi-city itinerary, DUB-NBO-ADD-DUB, it'll be cheaper than buying NBO-ADD separately, but it really negates this open jaw deal.

Or, I'll buy a r/t NBO-ADD, it seems like it starts around EUR160, then abandon the return portion. It seems like same Ethiopian is the monopoly in the region, so if I do this, I fear miles between DUB and Africa may be reversed (planning to credit to Asiana), and my credit card may be charged 'penalty' even after I change credit card number.

Any ideas on traveling from NBO to ADD cheaply?

Update: The fare is O, it'll be 0% to OZ, so I'll credit to UA for 50%.
Catweazle likes this.

Last edited by maverikbc; Nov 1, 2017 at 9:23 pm Reason: TOS 7 and 10
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
As someone who has worked in the African tourism market for the better part of the last decade, all I'm going to say is "Yup, 270 is about right."

Africa is plagued by high intra-continental travel costs, and the surface routes are dicey at best.

Although I have no idea what you're talking about with "reversing miles." And I've never heard of a 'penalty' for having your travel plans change after you've flown one leg of a RT flight. You just needed to stay for a different period of time and found it easier to return via a different route. If you don't make a habit of it, you're fine.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:24 pm

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to do a road trip and stay at some amazing lodges along the way.
Travelling around Kenya isn't as 'dicey' as some would lead you to imagine. I've done it and it was very great. While I can't offer any inigt on the boarder crossing into Ethiopia I doubt very much you'd have very much trouble. Hope you take the opportunity. And if you do please report back with a trip report with lots of pictures!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

With a Canadian passport, I'll need visas from both countries, and the Canadian government is against all travels against the border region of Ethiopia-Kenya. While overland travel sounds very exciting, and that's what I usually do for a distance of 2 hours flying time, this does not sound feasible there. I decided not to grab this deal at this time. During my time in Europe, I'll probably fly Ryanair unless I find some good deals.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
NBO-ADD can be done on UA for 8K miles, ET metal.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
NBO-ADD can be done on UA for 8K miles, ET metal.
Very good point. I thought this new pricing of 8k for non stop flights less than 800mi was only for Europe for some reasons, but I see it's applicable for within most zones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.