Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA - LAX-SFO-HIKA-Guam and return via UA Pacific Islands $442 <2.8cps

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: johnnywho
The fare allows you to travel on the island hopper (UA132/133) westbound and/or eastbound. HKG or MNL are both possible turnarounds and the fare is combinable with NH either way.

Who are going for this run?

UA132
  • Jan 19: westleyl, jayhawk17
  • Mar 18: Mateuszz
  • Mar 31: johnnywho,jetsflier

UA133
  • Jan 21: westleyl, jayhawk17
  • Feb 4: Spectre17, daisyatl
  • Apr 1: johnnywho, jetsflier
  • May 13: sexykitten7
Print Wikipost

UA - LAX-SFO-HIKA-Guam and return via UA Pacific Islands $442 <2.8cps

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
It looks like all of the 2018 Sunday 3 stop island hopper flights (both eastbound and westbound) before March 25 have been cancelled.
That's not what I'm seeing. I did get a schedule change notification from UA yesterday, but it just indicated some minor changes on the the arrival to MAJ and the MAJ to HNL segment. I'm flying the Island Hopper (UA 133) on Sunday, February 4th. Maybe the cancellations are for select Sundays?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Spectre17
That's not what I'm seeing. I did get a schedule change notification from UA yesterday, but it just indicated some minor changes on the the arrival to MAJ and the MAJ to HNL segment. I'm flying the Island Hopper (UA 133) on Sunday, February 4th. Maybe the cancellations are for select Sundays?
Yes, it seems the HNL-MAJ segment is not cancelled on Sundays, but the rest is.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Spectre17
It's very weird. Take a look for yourself on the United web site. On Sun. Feb 4 it looks like UA 133 operates as GUM-TKK-PNI and just terminates at PNI.
If you put in GUM-MAJ for Feb 4 it returns "There are no flights that match your search criteria" and if you put in GUM-HNL none of the departures
are at 8:20 AM (the time that UA 133 departs).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoyed Gold
For those able to travel later in the year, my UA133 itinerary in early September still goes through to HNL with stops in TKK, PNI and MAJ (which fits with what dogcanyon noticed: UA133 through to HNL is now available after March 25 but not before), however I'll keep monitoring it in case UA changes the schedule again. The Hopper is the only reason I booked this quick-turnaround itinerary. Otherwise I'd wait until I had more time and miles to burn, and fly UA154 or UA155...

Last edited by wkndflyr; Nov 21, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by wkndflyr
For those able to travel later in the year, my UA133 itinerary in early September still goes through to HNL with stops in TKK, PNI and MAJ (which fits with what dogcanyon noticed: UA133 through to HNL is now available after March 25 but not before), however I'll keep monitoring it in case UA changes the schedule again. The Hopper is the only reason I booked this quick-turnaround itinerary. Otherwise I'd wait until I had more time and miles to burn, and fly UA154 or UA155...
I'm really looking into doing something like this in September...what days of the week does the eastbound island hopper UA133 fly? I'm messing around with dates, trying to find something that would require as little time off of work as possible! ^
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I'm really looking into doing something like this in September...what days of the week does the eastbound island hopper UA133 fly? I'm messing around with dates, trying to find something that would require as little time off of work as possible! ^
Eastbound hopper UA133 operates exclusively on Sundays. Three other days of the week UA155 operates. UA155 typically commands a much, much higher fare.
mpiotrow and wkndflyr like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Mine refunded as well due to schedule change.

Last edited by Gnopps; Nov 24, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:57 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Any anecdotal evidence of upgrade probability on UA155; particularly for a 1K?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:32 pm

Generally speaking, if space is available what are the odds of me being able to SDFC from UA133 to UA155 at the PNI stop?

I'm still a novice at much of this. I booked under fare basis code KLE0ZMM2 which allows stopovers for $100 each, but stopovers only matter at initial booking or I'd have to change the itinerary and incur the change fee to add one to an already-ticketed itinerary, is that correct? Would interrupting my trip in PNI and picking up UA155 the next day count as a transfer?

At this point, since I'm already ticketed, SDFC seems to be my next best bet if we opt to stay in PNI a bit longer. Both UA133 and UA155 depart GUM at 8:20am. If I take UA133 on a Sunday from GUM and stopover in PNI, can I SDFC to UA155 for the following day (Monday) since the new and old itineraries' first legs depart exactly 24h apart (and if I initiate the SDFC at T-24 from UA155) and assuming space on the PNI to HNL legs?

Excerpts from the fare rules for KLEZ0ZMM2:
2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION AT USD 100.00 EACH
NONE IN GUAM
IN AREA 3

Flight rules do permit transfer:
6 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
1 PERMITTED IN CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
2 PERMITTED IN UNITED STATES IN EACH
DIRECTION
3 PERMITTED IN AREA 3 IN EACH DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED
SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

I can't find it right now, but I thought I'd seen something in the fare rules for these bargain Hoppers that UA154/UA155 trigger the additional fuel surcharge as well.
Edit: Found it. I'd been looking at the NH fare basis earlier when I was unable to re-locate the UA154/UA155 surcharge. The surcharge is mentioned in the UA fare basis. Is it possible to tell from the fare rules whether SDFC would trigger the surcharge - if so, what should I look for in the rules?
AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 500.00 PER
DIRECTION WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE
PER ADULT,ALLOWING CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS IF THE
FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL ON ONE OR MORE OF
THE FOLLOWING
UA FLIGHT 154
UA FLIGHT 155.

Last edited by wkndflyr; Nov 26, 2017 at 5:15 pm Reason: updates, formatting
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:37 pm

This is very strange. I accepted the schedule change (only not was arrival at Ponhei is changed to 6:45). Now I see this is my routing:

LAX-SFO-HKG-GUM

Then...PKI-KSA-MAJ-HNL-LAX.

What the heck just happened?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by johnnywho
I read somewhere that you should check in your luggage (and only keep a small piece of hand luggage) or otherwise it would be a hassle because you have to go through security numerous times.

What happens, if one wanted to throw away the last segment. Wouldn't the luggage be checked through all the way to LAX?
bump!

Does anybody know whether UA would let me pick up my luggage in HNL?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA: Platinum
Highly doubt that you will be able to do this, unless your flight gets delayed so that the next day's flight is less than 24 hours away.

Originally Posted by wkndflyr
Generally speaking, if space is available what are the odds of me being able to SDFC from UA133 to UA155 at the PNI stop?

I'm still a novice at much of this. I booked under fare basis code KLE0ZMM2 which allows stopovers for $100 each, but stopovers only matter at initial booking or I'd have to change the itinerary and incur the change fee to add one to an already-ticketed itinerary, is that correct? Would interrupting my trip in PNI and picking up UA155 the next day count as a transfer?

At this point, since I'm already ticketed, SDFC seems to be my next best bet if we opt to stay in PNI a bit longer. Both UA133 and UA155 depart GUM at 8:20am. If I take UA133 on a Sunday from GUM and stopover in PNI, can I SDFC to UA155 for the following day (Monday) since the new and old itineraries' first legs depart exactly 24h apart (and if I initiate the SDFC at T-24 from UA155) and assuming space on the PNI to HNL legs?

Excerpts from the fare rules for KLEZ0ZMM2:

Flight rules do permit transfer:

I can't find it right now, but I thought I'd seen something in the fare rules for these bargain Hoppers that UA154/UA155 trigger the additional fuel surcharge as well.
Edit: Found it. I'd been looking at the NH fare basis earlier when I was unable to re-locate the UA154/UA155 surcharge. The surcharge is mentioned in the UA fare basis. Is it possible to tell from the fare rules whether SDFC would trigger the surcharge - if so, what should I look for in the rules?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by jayhawk17
Highly doubt that you will be able to do this, unless your flight gets delayed so that the next day's flight is less than 24 hours away.
Thank you for your guidance! I think I'll just be grateful for the unique trip at a great price and leave well enough alone. I was going to throw away the HNL-LAX return segment and use miles to fly home the next day if I could wrangle a PNI stopover for little cost, but I'd rather earn the PQM than burn them for that last leg.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:00 am

Hi. Is this price still available for any weekend in 2018? I don't know how to book it and only one of the links in the thread still worked and gave me a $576 fare. Also, I live in SF so would rather leave from there but not if it is much more. If anyone is willing to help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Hi. Is this price still available for any weekend in 2018? I don't know how to book it and only one of the links in the thread still worked and gave me a $576 fare. Also, I live in SF so would rather leave from there but not if it is much more. If anyone is willing to help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Here's an itinerary that originates at SFO for $598. If you want to also terminate at SFO it's about an extra $50
or you could pick up your bags and go through customs at SFO then just accidentally miss the final SFO-LAX flight.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...2-SFOLAX0UA653

Last edited by dogcanyon; Dec 2, 2017 at 9:34 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.