Reload this Page >

UA - LAX-SFO-HIKA-Guam and return via UA Pacific Islands $442 <2.8cps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: johnnywho
The fare allows you to travel on the island hopper (UA132/133) westbound and/or eastbound. HKG or MNL are both possible turnarounds and the fare is combinable with NH either way.

Who are going for this run?

UA132
  • Jan 19: westleyl, jayhawk17
  • Mar 18: Mateuszz
  • Mar 31: johnnywho,jetsflier

UA133
  • Jan 21: westleyl, jayhawk17
  • Feb 4: Spectre17, daisyatl
  • Apr 1: johnnywho, jetsflier
  • May 13: sexykitten7
Print Wikipost

UA - LAX-SFO-HIKA-Guam and return via UA Pacific Islands $442 <2.8cps

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Sounds like you had a great trip! I'd love to do that one day! ^ I have a few questions, though...
  1. How do you get an agent to split the ticket? Were there any key words you need to use? What did you ask the agent specifically? I don't have an upcoming IH flight, but figure it might be useful for other flights, if need be.
  2. You mentioned the MUA offer for $75 and 20k miles. Was that for the whole route? Or just 1 direction or the other? When I've done a MUA offer before (for another flight, not an IH itinerary), it's been for either the outbound or the return, but doesn't cover all segments.
  3. You mentioned "HKG-SFO cleared into Polaris", but I think you mean "SFO-HKG cleared into Polaris", correct? Just thought you might want to update the trip report.
  4. You really got upgraded into Polaris on the SFO-HKG segment for part of the $75 and 20k miles MUA?!?! Wow!
Having never done this before, I'm guessing you just need to make sure you select a day of the week that the IH flies and then you should be able to select it as one of the options between GUM and HNL. I'm not sure if there's more to it than that, though...
1. You just ask. I'd use the words force split.
2. MUA covered the whole IH itin LAX-HKG-LAX. Yes I think the pricing was due to SHARES viewing it as LAX-LAX. Even then, should've been 20k, not 20k+75.
3. Yes typo! Thx.
4. Yep. Was a bit nerve-racking because it was unclear if my segments were waitlisted/synced correctly, esp after a few schedule changes. But I didn't want any eyes on my PNR.

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Having never done this before, I'm guessing you just need to make sure you select a day of the week that the IH flies and then you should be able to select it as one of the options between GUM and HNL. I'm not sure if there's more to it than that, though...
The trouble is most fares specify a $500 surcharge for the IH. Luckily this fare only surcharged the older flights UA154/155, not UA132/133.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Since it’s a GUM fare, you cannot stop in HKG.
Thanks for your report! But this was actually a fare to HKG, not GUM, so you could stop in HKG per the maximum stay restriction. The reason it worked was that UA132/133 was not included in the list of flights where a $500 surcharge otherwise would be collected. This has now been changed it seems like.

Fare rules in October
AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 500.00 PER DIRECTION WILL BE
ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL. APPLIES PER
ADULT. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
PROVIDED TRAVEL IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
UA FLIGHT 154
UA FLIGHT 155.
Fare rules now
AND - A SURCHARGE OF USD 500.00 PER DIRECTION WILL BE
ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE FOR TRAVEL. APPLIES PER
ADULT. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
PROVIDED TRAVEL IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
UA FLIGHT 154
UA FLIGHT 155
UA FLIGHT 132
UA FLIGHT 133.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Thanks for your report! But this was actually a fare to HKG, not GUM, so you could stop in HKG per the maximum stay restriction. The reason it worked was that UA132/133 was not included in the list of flights where a $500 surcharge otherwise would be collected. This has now been changed it seems like.

Fare rules in October

Fare rules now
LOL That's right! I got it backwards. And I just looked at the fare rules yesterday! For some reason I don't think it worked out with 1+ days in HKG but maybe we never found the right combination or I'm misremembering (again)... Will update my TR. Thx!

Last edited by sexykitten7; May 18, 2018 at 11:25 am Reason: Changed link
Old May 19, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoyed Gold
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I stumbled across this wonderful find by @ck3kk last October (actually on my birthday): LAX-SFO-HKG-GUM-TKK-PNI-KSA-MAJ-HNL-LAX for $450 which includes an eastbound island hopper (IH) on the return. Since it’s a HKG fare, you cannot stop in GUM. In fact, the longest connection was 4 hours so I basically flew non-stop for 2.5 days (aka the Lucky method). Ticketed for 11MAY since it was the farthest out (e.g. warmest weather). I did the same for a $450 SAN-EUR fare last year. Although in retrospect, May was almost too warm for the South Pacific.
Thank you sexykitten for your trip report! My trip is still a few months away, and I've already had a handful of schedule changes including two that pushed me from the IH to the GUM-HNL direct flight (we're booked on the eastbound hopper like yours) and required me to call UA to get put back onto the Hopper. Let's just say that I took the advice from this thread to help the agent get us back onto the Hopper and hopefully any subsequent changes won't boot us off of it again.

I'm also glad I booked before the template was updated to put the $500 surcharge on UA 132/UA133 because it looks like we won't see fares that cheap again unless UA revokes that surcharge (ha!) Looking at the fare rules, if UA changes the sched again I should be able to get my flights restored without it triggering a reprice that would add the fee as per current fare rules - historical fare rules would apply in my case, I hope?
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by wkndflyr
I'm also glad I booked before the template was updated to put the $500 surcharge on UA 132/UA133 because it looks like we won't see fares that cheap again unless UA revokes that surcharge (ha!) Looking at the fare rules, if UA changes the sched again I should be able to get my flights restored without it triggering a reprice that would add the fee as per current fare rules - historical fare rules would apply in my case, I hope?
Correct. The fare rules on a ticket never change. If you get bumped off again, they would simply need to open K space to rebook you. Price should not be an issue. You should add yourself to the wiki! And btw, the IH is a "direct" flight
Old May 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Is this still live? Thinking of taking advantage of this in the fall/winter depending on where I am at for requalification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.