Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:40 am

some Y fares too. been trying to price up anything in full Y cabin the whole way these past few days and could not pull anything up. something is not right.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by beyounged
some Y fares too. been trying to price up anything in full Y cabin the whole way these past few days and could not pull anything up. something is not right.
As more people fly these crazy routings they start to get more exposure inside the airlines. When they are only getting a couple hundred dollars to fly someone around the world, it triggers a deeper look.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:11 am

I just got a couple of these ticketed so it's very much alive;
ICN-HEL-MAD-SCL (Economy) // SCL-JNB-DOH-HKG-NRT (Business) // NRT-NAN-AKL (300€ with Fiji Airways) // AKL-PPT-IPC-SCL (Economy) // SCL-LIM-MAD-DOH-SIN-NRT (Business)
Built with matrix and bought from priceline
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by elventhor
I just got a couple of these ticketed so it's very much alive;
ICN-HEL-MAD-SCL (Economy) // SCL-JNB-DOH-HKG-NRT (Business) // NRT-NAN-AKL (300€ with Fiji Airways) // AKL-PPT-IPC-SCL (Economy) // SCL-LIM-MAD-DOH-SIN-NRT (Business)
Built with matrix and bought from priceline
Sounds like a nice journey! may i know how much are the 2 ICN-SCL-NRT tickets?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:48 pm

$2250 and $2500, I have 3x week long stopovers in GRU (scl-gru-jnb..which I missed from the first itinerary) JNB HKG and LIM MAD SIN which all hike the price up for a $100+
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by elventhor
$2250 and $2500, I have 3x week long stopovers in GRU (scl-gru-jnb..which I missed from the first itinerary) JNB HKG and LIM MAD SIN which all hike the price up for a $100+
Thanks a lot! 2.5k is still a bit too much for me so probably i'd stick to econ trip then~T_T
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:05 pm

After 4 months... I finally finished all my TR's. It covers my entire trip from March to June, with 4 of this ticket back to back.
Routing: ICN-MAD-LIM-GYE-SCL-LIM-MAD-HEL-RVN-HEL-BKK-ICN-KIX-ICN-MAD-LIM-IQT-LIM-GYE-SCL-BOG-LIM-BCN-HEL-ICN-HEL-MAD-LIM-GRU-SCL-LIM-MAD-HEL-PRG-HEL-MLA-HEL-FUK-ICN-HKG-HEL-MAD-LIM-EZE//AEP-SCL-LIM-BCN-HEL-CHQ//HER-HEL-WAW-HEL-PVG-PUS-KIX.
For those interested, the introduction is on my personal blog here. From there, links lead to all detailed parts.

Couple things about the blog:
1. I do not earn money or push cards for the blog, this is a casual personal place for my journals, so feel free to check it out. I tried writing it on FT but it will just be way too long.
2. be prepared. what I linked is only the introduction, the entire trip spans 7 parts, over 50000 words and 500 photos, so if you are not on wifi, proceed with caution beyond the linked introduction page.(besides the intro, the 7 parts are: Lapland, Osaka, Amazons, Czechia, Malta, Crete, Poland)
3. It is more about the destinations than actually flying, because it gets pretty boring after my 6th time flying the crappy LA767 in Y LIM-BCN/MAD. So if you are only interested in aviation then this is not the TR for you. I go into details of history and background, but not in aircraft and flights, since the journals are more tailored for casual readers.
4. It can get quite personal, as it is my writing style. So if you get goosebumps when you see cheesy reminiscence then it is better to just look at the pictures.

I earned about 250k AS miles for 3.8k USD, so I say that is a very good return on investment. And that pushed me for 75K requalification easily.
I want to thank everyone on this thread for assistance and encouragement, especially for ChocolateFactory, and hope those who still have legs to come enjoy this fantastic fare. In fact, I am planning for winter vacation on this ticket as well!

However, it has been nearly impossible to price up any tix using my old tricks, as I could easily price up sub-1k USD itins RTW in Y, but now it is barely available. I checked EF and found out that a completely new set of fares were filed specifically for SEL-SCL on Sep 26, which coincided with my newer problems. All of them now specify routing via the pacific, and most devastatingly, every fare had their prices increased dramatically. The cheapest, an O fare, is now over 700USD for the outbound when trick is applied, which basically ruins this deal from SEL. However, AKL is not changed, but it has a specific table of (limited) routings so I guess they were not that concerned, as the only benefit of using it now is for IPC and PPT. Coupled with the death of AS earning table, the deal has gotten significantly less ideal. Again, thanks for everyone here, maybe it is time for me to finally put this ticket to rest personally. It had been a great ride.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Thumbs up

After 4 months... I finally finished all my TR's. It covers my entire trip from March to June, with 4 of this ticket back to back.
Routing: ICN-MAD-LIM-GYE-SCL-LIM-MAD-HEL-RVN-HEL-BKK-ICN-KIX-ICN-MAD-LIM-IQT-LIM-GYE-SCL-BOG-LIM-BCN-HEL-ICN-HEL-MAD-LIM-GRU-SCL-LIM-MAD-HEL-PRG-HEL-MLA-HEL-FUK-ICN-HKG-HEL-MAD-LIM-EZE//AEP-SCL-LIM-BCN-HEL-CHQ//HER-HEL-WAW-HEL-PVG-PUS-KIX.
For those interested, the introduction is on my personal blog here. From there, links lead to all detailed parts.
Wow, just wow. 137,203 mi

Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
Wow, just wow. 137,203 mi

No pain, no gain ;P
actually by the third time around I was having so much fun that I FORGOT my PRG-HEL flight date and missed it, causing the real flight routing to go PRG-LGW-MLA instead of PRG-HEL-MLA, which shorted the total by ~500 miles. For the 4th tix I accidentally got 17 segments instead of the 16 maximum, causing the system to be unable to issue it, and someone in LA secretly spent 300USD of LA money to add my HEL-WAW-HEL tix onto my reservation when I complained... It was pretty nuts, but at the end, I really appreciate the time I spent on this trip. Beats buying the miles straight up from AS!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:28 am

Couple things about the blog:
1. I do not earn money or push cards for the blog, this is a casual personal place for my journals, so feel free to check it out. I tried writing it on FT but it will just be way too long.
2. be prepared. what I linked is only the introduction, the entire trip spans 7 parts, over 50000 words and 500 photos, so if you are not on wifi, proceed with caution beyond the linked introduction page.(besides the intro, the 7 parts are: Lapland, Osaka, Amazons, Czechia, Malta, Crete, Poland)
3. It is more about the destinations than actually flying, because it gets pretty boring after my 6th time flying the crappy LA767 in Y LIM-BCN/MAD. So if you are only interested in aviation then this is not the TR for you. I go into details of history and background, but not in aircraft and flights, since the journals are more tailored for casual readers.
4. It can get quite personal, as it is my writing style. So if you get goosebumps when you see cheesy reminiscence then it is better to just look at the pictures.

I earned about 250k AS miles for 3.8k USD, so I say that is a very good return on investment. And that pushed me for 75K requalification easily.
I want to thank everyone on this thread for assistance and encouragement, especially for ChocolateFactory, and hope those who still have legs to come enjoy this fantastic fare. In fact, I am planning for winter vacation on this ticket as well!

However, it has been nearly impossible to price up any tix using my old tricks, as I could easily price up sub-1k USD itins RTW in Y, but now it is barely available. I checked EF and found out that a completely new set of fares were filed specifically for SEL-SCL on Sep 26, which coincided with my newer problems. All of them now specify routing via the pacific, and most devastatingly, every fare had their prices increased dramatically. The cheapest, an O fare, is now over 700USD for the outbound when trick is applied, which basically ruins this deal from SEL. However, AKL is not changed, but it has a specific table of (limited) routings so I guess they were not that concerned, as the only benefit of using it now is for IPC and PPT. Coupled with the death of AS earning table, the deal has gotten significantly less ideal. Again, thanks for everyone here, maybe it is time for me to finally put this ticket to rest personally. It had been a great ride.
Congrats, looks like an epic adventure. But, I will bring your attention to the bolded section and my previous quote.

Originally Posted by skunker
As more people fly these crazy routings they start to get more exposure inside the airlines. When they are only getting a couple hundred dollars to fly someone around the world, it triggers a deeper look.
I'm honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did and is still somewhat available.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
Happy to see that someone has used this OW construction to build some epic journeys! Have never expected to see 38 pages of discussion after publishing it one year ago...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by skunker
Congrats, looks like an epic adventure. But, I will bring your attention to the bolded section and my previous quote.

I'm honestly surprised it lasted as long as it did and is still somewhat available.
I am surprised too! But yeah, I guess I am one of those folks to blame for the death of SEL. However, I also want to point out that if one has not used this fare for the 1 year it was alive then they really can't fault others too much :P And in some ways, this is definitely not an easy tix to price out or ticket, so I say those who were willing to invest in the time and effort to go through the whole process of searching, booking, ticketing, positioning, traveling and crediting do deserve a bit of a good return on investment, just like any trick-it fare, but just a bit lower on skills and return.
Most of the frontline employees I interacted with had no interest in the fare at all, and one agent at ICN said she had been quite used to SCL departures by now, which can mean both ways (too common/abnormally large numbers).
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
I am surprised too! But yeah, I guess I am one of those folks to blame for the death of SEL. However, I also want to point out that if one has not used this fare for the 1 year it was alive then they really can't fault others too much :P And in some ways, this is definitely not an easy tix to price out or ticket, so I say those who were willing to invest in the time and effort to go through the whole process of searching, booking, ticketing, positioning, traveling and crediting do deserve a bit of a good return on investment, just like any trick-it fare, but just a bit lower on skills and return.
Most of the frontline employees I interacted with had no interest in the fare at all, and one agent at ICN said she had been quite used to SCL departures by now, which can mean both ways (too common/abnormally large numbers).
your redepmtion was to fly that much in Y so you are forgiven
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
do u typically redeem AS miles in Y class?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:07 pm

I wouldn't say any one person is to blame; just the fact that so many people have flown these in some crazy routings. It's one of things that by using it everyone is bringing attention to it and therefore it's end. Nothing can be done, honestly.

Congrats, again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.