UA: LAX-SIN $384 RT (17520mi, 2.2cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rbAA
Looking To Meetup?

If you are interested in meeting up or wondering if anyone else is traveling on a certain date, look here.

Date - Segment - Handle

11/1 - LAX - SIN - westleyl
11/1 - LAX - SIN - bsdstone
11/2 - LAX - SIN - irelayer
11/2 - LAX - SIN - EbonyTatas
11/2 - LAX - SIN - Asknorm
11/2 - LAX - SIN - UnitedHeavy
11/2 - LAX - SIN - cocktailsfirst
11/2 - LAX - SIN - UAL
11/2 - LAX - SIN - UA Mike
11/3 - SIN - LAX - westleyl
11/3 - SIN - LAX - bsdstone
11/4 - LAX - SIN - pscabrea
11/4 - SIN - LAX - UAL
11/5 - LAX - SIN - paagal
11/5 - SIN - LAX - irelayer
11/5 - SIN - LAX - EbonyTatas
11/5 - SIN - LAX - Asknorm
11/5 - SIN - LAX - UnitedHeavy
11/5 - SIN - LAX - cocktails first
11/5 - SIN - LAX - UA Mike
11/6 - SIN - LAX - pscabrea
11/7 - SFO - SIN - rbAA
11/8 - SIN - LAX - paagal12
11/8 - LAX - SIN - kmcarter
11/8 - SIN - LAX - paagal12
11/9 - LAX - SIN - SeanTek
11/10 - LAX - SIN - bthumme
11/10 - SIN - LAX - kmcarter
11/12 - SIN - SFO - bthumme
11/12 - SIN - LAX - paagal12
11/19 - SIN - LAX - SeanTek
11/20 - SFO - SIN - jqlx
11/20 - LAX-SIN - GDL
11/22 - LAX - SIN - 985X
11/22 - LAX - SIN - colinary
11/23 - SIN - LAX - jqlx
11/23 SIN-LAX - GDL
11/24 - SIN - LAX - 985X
11/28 - LAX - SIN - capreppie
11/28 LAX-SIN - GDL
11/29 EWR - LAX - SIN - dnpierson1
11/30 SIN-LAX - GDL
12/4 - SIN-LAX - colinary
12/4 - SIN - LAX - EWR
12/5 - SIN - LAX - capreppie
12/5 - LAX - SIN - rojo
12/7 - SFO - SIN - jjmoore
12/10 - SIN - LAX - jjmoore
12/11 - SIN - LAX - rojo
1/23 SIN-LAX-rbAA
Print Wikipost

UA: LAX-SIN $384 RT (17520mi, 2.2cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
That probably goes way beyond "not a smart move" and could likely get your MP account cancelled.

Agree 100% that, at T-10 or whatever, missing passenger is going to be off-loaded and seat becomes available to anyone on standby or a non-rev. If OP hasn't already done so, I'd move missing passenger to middle (if not already there) and purchase the aisle or window as the extra seat. Seems less likely they'd fill a middle than an aisle or window, but that's passenger thinking, not gate agent.
Thank you both for your assistance, but to confirm all three seats are in my name (one is booked as me, and the other two are booked as "ExtraSeat" and my last name). I had originally purchased two tickets (for myself) and my GF was going to buy a third in her name later on. Turns out she was not able to do this and I was stuck with two seats for myself. I ended up purchasing a 2nd "ExtraSeat" making a total of three seats booked in my name. I appreciate you guys looking out!
Mike Jacoubowsky and vg247 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EbonyTatas
Thank you both for your assistance, but to confirm all three seats are in my name (one is booked as me, and the other two are booked as "ExtraSeat" and my last name). I had originally purchased two tickets (for myself) and my GF was going to buy a third in her name later on. Turns out she was not able to do this and I was stuck with two seats for myself. I ended up purchasing a 2nd "ExtraSeat" making a total of three seats booked in my name. I appreciate you guys looking out!
Ah, very good. No issues there.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat
Can I be added to the Wiki as well, please. My dates are Nov 2-5. thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Asknorm
Can I be added to the Wiki as well, please. My dates are Nov 2-5. thanks in advance.
Added to the Wiki as requested.. Safe Travels (looks like a FT mini DO with 3 of you on the same flights)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by BThumme
Ah, very good. No issues there.
Like they say, that changes everything!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:10 am

I'm on a mile+copay ug waitlist, has anyone had or know of a GPU/mile+copay clearing? I'm starting in ORD, so would really like to try out the polaris lounge in ORD, and am hoping that if my UG does clear, it does so in advance of me being at ORD.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA
I'm on a mile+copay ug waitlist, has anyone had or know of a GPU/mile+copay clearing? I'm starting in ORD, so would really like to try out the polaris lounge in ORD, and am hoping that if my UG does clear, it does so in advance of me being at ORD.
They haven't started the LAX service yet (I believe within the next few days) so there is no history to look at. However, I have seen some UPG out of SFO, not sure what type of instruments those have been.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by pbartp
They haven't started the LAX service yet (I believe within the next few days) so there is no history to look at. However, I have seen some UPG out of SFO, not sure what type of instruments those have been.
Service starts Friday I think, so was just wondering if any people traveling this had luck. I was kind of hoping that getting on the flights earlier while still not as many people know about the flight might help, but all these 400-600 options make it seem like UA is really trying to get people on board.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Service starts Friday I think, so was just wondering if any people traveling this had luck. I was kind of hoping that getting on the flights earlier while still not as many people know about the flight might help, but all these 400-600 options make it seem like UA is really trying to get people on board.
Your flying in about 2 weeks.. (plenty of time) SIN is currently a very tough upgrade from SFO.. Therefore, I assume the smarter elites may now book via LAX..

With that said, having a very low fare bucket if your in on this fare.. would probably be at the gate (if not perhaps a day or two before in my opinion..)

Good luck..
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
US to/from SIN is always a tough upgrade regardless of where you're originating. Many paid biz fares and UA historically never opens up R space until a day or two before departure - if ever.

With that said, I have cleared mile+copay several times in the past but this takes a lot of effort to monitor available fare classes and a healthy bit of luck.

Day of week is the biggest factor with Tues/Wed/Thurs your best bet. You can almost forget about clearing on weekends.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA, VS
New FT Member here.

Traveling LAX to SIN on 11/2 - return 11/5. Please add me to the wiki as well.

Thank you!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Was thinking about jumping on this deal from ORD - SIN. I have a couple of questions for a newbie at mileage runs:
-If I land at 7:45 AM and get on an outbound at 11am, will that be enough time to clear customs and make my flight?
-Will the above scenario arouse suspicion with immigration?
-Do i need a Visa for the above scenario?
Finally, this would push me from gold to platinum. Normally, I wouldn't do this, but next year we are considering going to Australia for my wife's 50th bday and as a Platinum I could drag all 6 of us up to E+ instead of just two of us...are there any other Platinum benefits that would make this hellish trip worth it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by UnitedHeavy
New FT Member here.

Traveling LAX to SIN on 11/2 - return 11/5. Please add me to the wiki as well.

Thank you!
Welcome to FT UnitedHeavy! Great handle.. Your on the list (BThumme took care of it..) The FT Party on 11/2-11/5 is getting larger..
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Was thinking about jumping on this deal from ORD - SIN. I have a couple of questions for a newbie at mileage runs:
-If I land at 7:45 AM and get on an outbound at 11am, will that be enough time to clear customs and make my flight?
-Will the above scenario arouse suspicion with immigration?
-Do i need a Visa for the above scenario?
Finally, this would push me from gold to platinum. Normally, I wouldn't do this, but next year we are considering going to Australia for my wife's 50th bday and as a Platinum I could drag all 6 of us up to E+ instead of just two of us...are there any other Platinum benefits that would make this hellish trip worth it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
The reason SIN makes such a great MR is the fact that you do not need to clear customs/immigration upon landing - you can stay in the terminal the whole time. You don't ever have to show your passport except for check-in for your return flight. No visas and frankly, nobody cares if you stay there for 1hr or 1day without ever stepping outside the airport.

Lots of details can be found in this thread: Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please

Basically, UA arrives in the E gates of Terminal 2. You walk off the plane directly into the terminal just like a domestic US arrival. If you want to stay airside just don't follow the crowd downstairs to immigration. Hang out, explore the airport gardens, catch a movie in the 24 hour theater, swim at the pool in terminal 1 or, if you qualify, go to one of the departure lounges for a bite, shower and a nap (highly recommended). You can also get a room at the transit hotel for up to 6 hrs to get some rest and refresh.

*Edit: to clarify lounge options, as a UA Gold, you will be invited to use the SATS Premier lounge (there's no United Club). You can also use the SQ Krisflyer Gold lounge although SATS is a bet better in my opinion. If your return flight is in C, you can go to the SilverKris lounge which much less crowded and has better food and shower facilities. There are lounges in all 3 terminals you can visit using the inter-terminal train or you could walk it and really get a good workout.

Departure should be from the same gate (most likely same plane). You will need to stop at the transfer desk to check-in, get your return boarding pass and answer the required security questions (they'll put a little sticker on your passport to show at the gate).

Security screening is done at each gate starting 1 hr prior to departure. Typical x-ray and magnometer like in the US. No liquids allowed, etc. You are then placed into a sterile holding area before boarding.

I've done this MR half a dozen times over the past few years and have never had an issue. As I said earlier, nobody cares that you spent only a few hours before going home and US customs doesn't bat an eye either. If you have Global Entry you never have to speak to a live person. Except for the 36+ hours in transit, it's basically the same as going to Vegas and back.

To answer your last question, there's not much difference between Plat and Gold in my opinion so whether it's worth it or not is up to you. A summary of benefits is discussed here: Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Good luck and have fun in SIN. It's definitely worth it just for the experience.
bsdstone and westleyl like this.

Last edited by mrswirl; Oct 26, 2017 at 11:03 am Reason: clarify lounge options
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75K , Expedia +Gold
Looks like I'll be all by my lonesome self from the 11/1 - 11/3. :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.