Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Fares: AA LAX-MIA, DL LAX/SEA-MCO 2.8-2.9cpm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Hurricane Fares: AA LAX-MIA, DL LAX/SEA-MCO 2.8-2.9cpm

Plenty of reasons not to book flights like this, including:
1) Many airports still closed due to hurricane damage; even if open, consider the destruction may have an ongoing impact flight operations or life in general
2) Ethics of booking Mileage Runs under fares intended to support hurricane victims
3) Etc.

...but there's no point pretending the fares don't exist, and you can make your own decisions on the points above... or simply take advantage of these low fares for reasons other than mileage runs.

AA has LAX-MIA for $99, booking into Y class = 3513 EQM --> 2.82 CPEQM
DL has SEA-MCO for $113, booking into Y class = 3831 MQM --> 2.95 CPMQM
DL has LAX-MCO for $113, booking into Y class = 3327 MQM --> 3.40 CPMQM

Last edited by javabytes; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:40 am
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Also $99 one way on SEA-MIA, redeye on the outbound, on AA https://goo.gl/flights/TsxK
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:42 pm

AA has LAX-MIA for $99, booking into Y fares = 3513 EQM --> 2.82 CPEQM
Y Fare as in fully flexible?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:17 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

LAX-MIA is as low as $79 o/w Tue/Wed/Sat now.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Y Fare as in fully flexible?
For the most part, no. These book into Y class to take advantage of last seat availability, but most of the fares I found are not actually flexible. Check the fare rules before purchase if that is a concern.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
For the most part, no. These book into Y class to take advantage of last seat availability, but most of the fares I found are not actually flexible. Check the fare rules before purchase if that is a concern.
Thank you for clarifying. I was a bit confused when you mentioned Y 'fares' vs. Y 'class'. I was hoping for the bonus miles and flexibility at that price
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Thank you for clarifying. I was a bit confused when you mentioned Y 'fares' vs. Y 'class'. I was hoping for the bonus miles and flexibility at that price
Well, you do get the bonus miles, but not the flexibility.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, DAL Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
ehh, are these basic economy fares? I just jumped online, and the fares, at least to LAX, are $150 in BE and $250 in main
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
These book into Y class to take advantage of last seat availability
As the OP mentioned each person will have their own ethical stance on this, but keep in mind that these fares are designed to get people home to Florida, and get family/friends down there to help out.

IMO it's one thing to book a great sale months in advance, or even take advantage of a mistake fare when some airline doesn't understand how decimal places work. It's quite another to be taking the last seat from somebody that needs to get back to take care of their damaged home, dead pet, or destroyed business. So if you're thinking about this just for the EQM, I'd urge you to at least think twice.
VisaW, jaloola, solewalker and 2 others like this.

Last edited by dordal; Sep 12, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
These fares earn just .5 EQM for the AA flights. Booking the main cabin fares costs almost twice as much as basic economy price.

I hope this is not an example of what is to come for American Basic Economy, otherwise this will really suck for AA mileage runners.

Hurricane "Basic Economy" has arrived.

Last edited by eltoddo22; Sep 12, 2017 at 2:36 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
These fares earn just .5 EQM for the AA flights. Booking the main cabin fares costs almost twice as much as basic economy price.

I hope this is not an example of what is to come for American Basic Economy, otherwise this will really suck for AA mileage runners.

Hurricane "Basic Economy" has arrived.
The $79 LAX-MIA fares on AA are Basic Economy, but the $99 fares are not, at least through 9/17. That is when the hurricane fares seem to expire on AA.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
The $79 LAX-MIA fares on AA are Basic Economy, but the $99 fares are not, at least through 9/17. That is when the hurricane fares seem to expire on AA.
Ah okay you are right. The $99 one does book into Y fare until 9/17

It seems that you can also book this on AAvacations with Y* fare which would qualify for 20% EQD. This actually would be fairly decent and earn over 1000 EQD RT.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eltoddo22
Ah okay you are right. The $99 one does book into Y fare until 9/17

It seems that you can also book this on AAvacations with Y* fare which would qualify for 20% EQD. This actually would be fairly decent and earn over 1000 EQD RT.
Or via Citi ThankYou portal, if you just want the flight.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
As the OP mentioned each person will have their own ethical stance on this, but keep in mind that these fares are designed to get people home to Florida, and get family/friends down there to help out.
In the wake of two unprecedented hurricanes, you can also argue the ethics of mileage runs, which are carbon-expensive trips that serve little purpose, burn fossil fuels, and cause harmful emissions.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by IamHydro
In the wake of two unprecedented hurricanes, you can also argue the ethics of mileage runs, which are carbon-expensive trips that serve little purpose, burn fossil fuels, and cause harmful emissions.
The planes are flying anyway, the couple of thousand people that may go one one mileage run per year really aren't harming the environment any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.