Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Man this is crazy, but awesome. Fyi there is a small cost to transit from HGH to PVG. Cheapest route is to take the high speed rail to Shanghai, then it's another 45min-1 hour cab ride (I think around $30 usd) from Hongqiao train station to PVG. Would recommend that people spend more time in Hangzhou and/or Shanghai as part of this route!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Wow! Thank you guys for this! Me and P2 are flying to Asia for $285 per person!
What an incredible deal! We'll be touring Asia for the full month and see family.
Cherry blossoms in Japan is also on the top of our list.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=E...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m
Enjoy the journey!
Remember to buy a second set of souvenirs for OP of this thread. I am grateful for him and this thread.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Hopefully this is helpful for anyone that needs to position from PEK to PVG and do a AA/OW mileage run inside of this trip.

Play around with the dates and you'll see AA offer PEK-LAX-PVG for $265 with 1 night in LA. Should be 12,736 EQMs.

Here's 4/2-4/3: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=P...98*2.USD.26498
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by fearless2357
Man this is crazy, but awesome. Fyi there is a small cost to transit from HGH to PVG. Cheapest route is to take the high speed rail to Shanghai, then it's another 45min-1 hour cab ride (I think around $30 usd) from Hongqiao train station to PVG. Would recommend that people spend more time in Hangzhou and/or Shanghai as part of this route!
You mention the cost to get from the Hongqiao train station (in Shanghai) to PVG, but how do you get from the HGH airport to the the railway station in Hangzhou? And what is the price for that?

Also, do you have any recommended hotels to stay at in either city? Where would you recommend booking the hotels? Is an OTA (like booking.com, hotels.com, etc) okay?

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Warning to all those who think skipping the last leg to Canada is a fait accompli

Date

Mr. flyertalker

RE: Notice of Claim Pertaining to Point Beyond Ticketing and Demand for Reimbursement

Dear Mr. flyertalker,

It has come to United Airlines’ attention that on multiple occasions you have violated the “Prohibited Practices” outlined in Rule 6 of United’s Contract of Carriage.

United identified 38 instances since January of 2016 where you engaged in “Point Beyond Ticketing,” which is the unauthorized purchase of a ticket to a destination more distant than your actual destination. As shown below, the last segment of each ticket was not used. By including the additional segment, you were able to purchase your ticket at a lower fare. Please note that no irregular operations were involved in these itineraries to prevent you from making the connection.

Such conduct constitutes fraud and a violation of Rule 6 of United’s Contract of Carriage. Accordingly, United demands that you cease and desist these unauthorized practices immediately and that you reimburse United in the amount of $3,236.76 which represents the difference between the cost of the tickets that you purchased and the cost of the travel taken, within 10 business day of receipt of this letter.

Please remit payment directly to me via credit card or a check made out to “United Airlines, Inc.” and send to:

United Airlines, Inc.
233 S. Wacker 28th floor
Chicago, IL 60606

If you do not make the requested payment, United Airlines reserves its right to take further action, including submitting United’s claim to an outside collection agency, terminating your MileagePlus membership and/or refusing to transport you on future flights in accordance with Rule 21 of the Contract of Carriage. If you have questions regarding this letter, feel free to contact me via [email protected]

Sincerely,
Corporate Security
United Airlines
[email protected]
(well publicized a few months ago on the blogs)
rmannion and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA P, A3 G, MU Gold, HH G, Marriott P
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
You mention the cost to get from the Hongqiao train station (in Shanghai) to PVG, but how do you get from the HGH airport to the the railway station in Hangzhou? And what is the price for that?
Thanks!
There's a shuttle bus service from HGH to Hangzhou East train station for the train to SHA. It costs 20 cny, roughly $3 USD. It runs a couple of times per hour and takes about 30 minutes without traffic. Also, from SHA to PVG, you can take the subway line 2, which runs from one airport to the other. Will take over an hour though. Maglev is another option. Take the subway line 2 from SHA to Longyang Rd station and transfer for the maglev. A must-do in my book...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jayz_004
There's a shuttle bus service from HGH to Hangzhou East train station for the train to SHA. It costs 20 cny, roughly $3 USD. It runs a couple of times per hour and takes about 30 minutes without traffic. Also, from SHA to PVG, you can take the subway line 2, which runs from one airport to the other. Will take over an hour though. Maglev is another option. Take the subway line 2 from SHA to Longyang Rd station and transfer for the maglev. A must-do in my book...
Please check out wiki of this thread for more detailed information.
Subway Line 2 from Hongqiao Railway station to PVG takes 2 hours, not 1 hr. Airport Shuttle Line 1 takes 1 hour to PVG (walking toward SHA Terminal and asking for bus stop location) and costs 30 CNY.
If you take high-speed train on Sunday afternoon, it is better to reserve your ticket ahead of time. I was forced to take the shuttle from Wulinmen to PVG because all train tickets were sold out on Sunday afternoon.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA P, A3 G, MU Gold, HH G, Marriott P
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Please check out wiki of this thread for more detailed information.
Subway Line 2 from Hongqiao Railway station to PVG takes 2 hours, not 1 hr. Airport Shuttle Line 1 takes 1 hour to PVG (walking toward SHA Terminal and asking for bus stop location) and costs 30 CNY.
If you take high-speed train on Sunday afternoon, it is better to reserve your ticket ahead of time. I was forced to take the shuttle from Wulinmen to PVG because all train tickets were sold out on Sunday afternoon.
Never said Line 2 from SHA to PVG only takes an hour. I did say it'll take over an hour, which was the time someone mentioned by car in a previous response, meaning taking the subway will take longer in time, but obviously cheaper.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Also, do you have any recommended hotels to stay at in either city? Where would you recommend booking the hotels? Is an OTA (like booking.com, hotels.com, etc) okay?
Taxis are very reasonably priced in China. Most of them time if I have baggage, I prefer to taxi just to be a bit more comfortable versus a subway/bus where there are small risks of petty theft. You likely won't have any issue if you keep an eye on your belongings, but for me the cost of 30 CNY (5 USD) vs 100 CNY is negligible (16 USD), and I prefer not having to waste extra mental energy keeping an eye on my stuff, especially after a long flight.
https://www.chinatrainguide.com/hang...ilway-station/ has good instructions on how to get to the rail station from the airport.

For hotels, I book American chains (Hangzhou and Shanghai both have American hotels). They provide great service and rooms at reasonable prices. Hyatt and Marriott/SPG are both great in China, some people like Hiltons also. You can book direct on the same US websites.

Fyi I work for the US subsidiary of a Chinese company and travel a couple times to China per year for work, so that's where my intuition comes from.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:55 am

what happen if missed the CX HKG-HGH segment ?

With an UA issued ticket: EWR-HKG-HGH, PVG-IAD-YUL ( all on UA metal except HKG-HGH on CX) , what happens if don't take or missed the HKG-HGH flight on partner Cathay. Will my return ticket automatically get canceled? or UA wont notice or wont care?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BWItraveller
With an UA issued ticket: EWR-HKG-HGH, PVG-IAD-YUL ( all on UA metal except HKG-HGH on CX) , what happens if don't take or missed the HKG-HGH flight on partner Cathay. Will my return ticket automatically get canceled? or UA wont notice or wont care?
There were some reports upthread (a year ago?) of UA not noticing/cancelling the rest of the ticket. I'm not sure how well CX/KA/UA talk on the backend, but I wouldn't feel confident missing the HKG-HGH connector.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
There were some reports upthread (a year ago?) of UA not noticing/cancelling the rest of the ticket. I'm not sure how well CX/KA/UA talk on the backend, but I wouldn't feel confident missing the HKG-HGH connector.
As I posted well upthread, when I switched to a different UA flight to HK, KA wasn’t notified and thought that I had missed my UA flight and offloaded me from the KA leg. So KA definitely gets flight information from UA. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the information flows the other way from KA back to UA, but as mentioned it’s a big risk to take!

Last edited by Toronto1970; Jan 28, 2019 at 3:22 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BWItraveller
Book the leg to CAN instead of HGH and take the train back to HKG. The price of the trip will increase by about $50 (and you'd waste a day of traveling up and back) but at least you'd be sure of having the return portion of your trip intact.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
I'm thinking about doing one of these trips in the next couple months...any chance anyone will be traveling from HGH to PVG on Feb 28, Feb 29, March 10, or March 31. I'm interested in one of those dates (due to the pricing I've found then), but would really like to have a traveling companion from HGH to PVG, as I've never made that journey before. ^

Or, let me know what dates you are going, and I'll see if I can find a cheap flight to be there at the same time!

Last edited by mpiotrow; Jan 28, 2019 at 6:59 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:31 pm

@mpiotrow - I am doing mine 25Feb, ORD-DEN-HNL-GUM-HKG. 27Feb HKG-HGH. 28Feb PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL. HGH-PVG is 27Feb, PVG-SFO departs on the 28th. Though I was mulling over doing a SDC to get on the 0015 28Feb PVG-SFO vs my 1330 booked flight.
mpiotrow likes this.

Last edited by penguinflies; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:33 pm Reason: grammatics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.