Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:30 pm

Been observing for quite awhile, finally contemplating trying this out, but the OJ would be b/w HGH and PEK. What are the options available for this leg? Most of what I found in this thread are either for HGH to PVG or HKG to PEK. Are most flying between HGH and PEK on other carriers? A little hesitant to try such a distance as a first timer.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by djsinc
Been observing for quite awhile, finally contemplating trying this out, but the OJ would be b/w HGH and PEK. What are the options available for this leg? Most of what I found in this thread are either for HGH to PVG or HKG to PEK. Are most flying between HGH and PEK on other carriers? A little hesitant to try such a distance as a first timer.
The fare will actually price out USA-HGH-PEK-USA-Canada on one ticket for less than it'd cost you to buy a separate OW ticket from HGH to PEK. If you want to spend time in PEK, you can also book HGH-PEK separately on an OTA like Trip.com. It will cost about $100 for a OW flight on CA or another major Chinese carrier.

There is HSR between HGH and PEK. Travel time is about 4.5h and it'll be both cheaper and more convenient than flying. That's probably the best way.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:20 pm

Love how this is still alive after all this time.

https://goo.gl/flights/m81sZ
$357 SFO-HKG PVG-LAX-SFO-YVR

https://goo.gl/flights/WXo3j
$285 LAX-SFO-HKG PVG-LAX-SFO-YVR

Last edited by nyckid; Dec 20, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Iad-pvg/hgh-gum-yyz $366

Last edited by Kmxu; Dec 20, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Kxmu, thanks again. Have you found any returns which connect in EWR or maybe final destination of YUL?
Until when in 2019 does this fare exist? I presume fare basis of "G"?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by nyckid
Love how this is still alive after all this time.

https://goo.gl/flights/m81sZ
$357 SFO-HKG PVG-LAX-SFO-YVR

https://goo.gl/flights/WXo3j
$285 LAX-SFO-HKG PVG-LAX-SFO-YVR
@nyckid and @Kmxu, how are you finding those? Are you just manually going through Google Flights trying different dates until you find one with a low price? I'd be interested in seeing if I can find something similar to what you just posted, but with a Friday or Sunday departure (I'm assuming Saturday would be a higher price, but if there's anything like that available, that would be great too!) that flies through DEN on the return.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:52 am

Take your time doing it with google flight/ITA matrix

Originally Posted by cagcag
Kxmu, thanks again. Have you found any returns which connect in EWR or maybe final destination of YUL?
Until when in 2019 does this fare exist? I presume fare basis of "G"?
Just play around with the link: change the first departure airport, the last connection (IAD, EWR) airport and the final destination in Canada (or combine the last two boxes into GUM to your desired Canada city), as well as your desired date. Note that the departure date from GUM must be a day later than that of HGH departure date due to dateline. Compared to last year, there is HKG-GUM flight everyday except for Sunday (used to be 3-4 times per week). It takes time to find your perfect run. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...00*2.USD.40802
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Can you start/end this deal in EWR?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by salisboss
Can you start/end this deal in EWR?
I haven't seen any deals that begin in the US and terminate in the US. All of them seem to require booking something that ends up in Canada. That's not to say you couldn't book something like this link, though, and whether or not you decide to get on the flight from EWR-YOW at the end is up to you...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:47 pm

Kxmu, thanks a lot for all the leads that you find and share with us. I made a slight modification, but was able to get the same price, and also avoid the need for a positioning flight. This will be my first real MR at about 1.9 cents/mile, a buddy of mine joining too.

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...79*2.USD.36523

Now I have to do my research on the visa, TWOV, and PVG-HGH travel considerations.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:22 pm

Great. I am glad that you will do the mr on the same dates. I will be on the later IAD-SFO-PVG flights. We will be on the same planes from HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL. I will fly to DEN from HNL. Once boarding HNL-DEN, I will switch to DEN-EWR-YYZ and a separate ticket back to IAD. For this itinerary, you do not need a Chinese visa (but do go to airport earlier than usual). PVG and HGH are in the same TWOV zone. Good luck.

Edit: check wiki page of this thread. Go to downtown Shanghai, the Bund, in particular, take a subway to Hongqiao Railway station next morning, high speed train to Hangzhou East station; inside the station, looking for shuttle bus to Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport.

Last edited by Kmxu; Dec 21, 2018 at 8:31 pm Reason: Check wiki page
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I haven't seen any deals that begin in the US and terminate in the US. All of them seem to require booking something that ends up in Canada. That's not to say you couldn't book something like this link, though, and whether or not you decide to get on the flight from EWR-YOW at the end is up to you...
How would not getting on the flight affect PQM/PQDs?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by salisboss
How would not getting on the flight affect PQM/PQDs?
You only get PQMs/PQDs for segments you actually fly...
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not as exciting $440 from BOS

https://goo.gl/flights/8y9pK

A few dollars less and less miles. EWR isn't too bad to get back to BOS.

https://goo.gl/flights/HHwyH
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Not as exciting $440 from BOS

https://goo.gl/flights/8y9pK

A few dollars less and less miles. EWR isn't too bad to get back to BOS.

https://goo.gl/flights/HHwyH
Is it just me, or are the shortened google links not working lately? I've noticed it for links I've posted, as well as from others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.