Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FLA77
Apparently this under $400 China fare has more longevity, albeit not as easy and straightforward an itinerary.
After so many China deals the last 2+ years, might as well just get a 10 year visa if on a US Passport. Its so much easier than dealing with all the third country crap. That's what I did.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA
I did the EWR-SIN trip twice in the past three months. Once for $431 and another time for $462. And these rates were available for a number of months and as recently 4/5 weeks ago, but no longer. I am keeping an eye in case they come back. I hope they do.

Apparently this under $400 China fare has more longevity, albeit not as easy and straightforward an itinerary.
I also chose SIN over this, after you price the positioning on the way back and the connection on the open jaw it costs more than flying to SIN.

It was a steal when you could do HGH direct though.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by CDKing
After so many China deals the last 2+ years, might as well just get a 10 year visa if on a US Passport. Its so much easier than dealing with all the third country crap. That's what I did.
Ditto, after experiencing my delayed SFO-HKG flight with 2 gate changes and an aircraft maintenance issue, I didn't bother going to the 3rd gate and visited customer service for a trip cancellation and a flight back to EUG. I was skeptical of the UA staff at EUG on whether they would accept my TWOV waiver so in the meantime, I got a 10 year visa. Rather fly straight to China than deal with the short UA-Cathay Dragon HKG connection fiasco.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:12 am

NYC-SIN was regularly ca. $450 on United, until..shift happened

I did the EWR-SIN trip twice in the past three months. Once for $431 and another time for $462. And these rates were available for a number of months and as recently 4/5 weeks ago, but no longer. I am keeping an eye in case they come back. I hope they do.

Perhaps once the PRC government cracked down on certain, let's say, "ambitious' or "imaginative" entrepreneurs recently, who sort of stretched themselves too thin and were therefore reined in, certain travel groups were affected.

Point is, Hainan Airlines entered into the US market and probably depressed the fares, especially in those markets or city pairs where they competed with US (legacy) carriers. For example, BOS-SHA or BOS-PEK; routes or flights from the NYC area went down too in the last two years. HNA Group that owns Hainan has apparently scaled back.

Hainan does not seem to offer 'deals', so there is no need to match, and since it all has a lot to do with elasticity of demand (and pricing), the low fare, (it was), has disappeared. Too bad and rather sad! No more attractive cpm journeys on US airline metal.

A simple search of "HNA Group" on Google turned up several news articles, and it certainly looks like they are in trouble and need cash badly. https://www.google.com/search?q=HNA+...w=1527&bih=830
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pondflyer
Perhaps once the PRC government cracked down on certain, let's say, "ambitious' or "imaginative" entrepreneurs recently, who sort of stretched themselves too thin and were therefore reined in, certain travel groups were affected.

Point is, Hainan Airlines entered into the US market and probably depressed the fares, especially in those markets or city pairs where they competed with US (legacy) carriers. For example, BOS-SHA or BOS-PEK; routes or flights from the NYC area went down too in the last two years. HNA Group that owns Hainan has apparently scaled back.

Hainan does not seem to offer 'deals', so there is no need to match, and since it all has a lot to do with elasticity of demand (and pricing), the low fare, (it was), has disappeared. Too bad and rather sad! No more attractive cpm journeys on US airline metal.

A simple search of "HNA Group" on Google turned up several news articles, and it certainly looks like they are in trouble and need cash badly. https://www.google.com/search?q=HNA+...w=1527&bih=830
Well, for competion’s sake, I hope
1- they recover
2- they start offering ridiculously low rates
3- American carriers start matching
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
It's definitely not just HNA, all the Chinese airlines are offering absurdly low fares and some US airlines and Air Canada are too in order to fill seats.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
It's definitely not just HNA, all the Chinese airlines are offering absurdly low fares and some US airlines and Air Canada are too in order to fill seats.
Even better
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:52 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Just take out the HKG-HGH flight in the google flight search you posted, and the price drops to $495CAD. I'm sure you can find a one way flight from HKG-HGH for a reasonable price. Is that what you're trying to do?

Here's the link for the cheaper flight: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...;sd:1;t:f;tt:m
Originally Posted by edsh
Don't forget to include Shenzhen and Guangzhou as alternates to a flight from HKG. Also check directly on the website for Spring Airlines, they fly SZX - SHA (not PVG).
So bad! I'm late again. Just come back from a vacation. Can't find 495 CAD price any more. Anything else I can do in May? I can fly out from IAH or any west coast cities and hopefully stop at HKG and PVG, then back to YYC.

Also is there a way to use the old google flight website?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
So bad! I'm late again. Just come back from a vacation. Can't find 495 CAD price any more. Anything else I can do in May? I can fly out from IAH or any west coast cities and hopefully stop at HKG and PVG, then back to YYC.

Also is there a way to use the old google flight website?
oh I hate the new format SO much. There is a little escape-shaped man on the bottom left of the webpage, click on it and you are back. Hopefully it is kept like that, because the old version is the only gf I have.

Last edited by beyounged; Apr 3, 2018 at 3:04 am
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:48 am

It's always good to hear news like that. Any examples on US Airlines? Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Greetings from Hangzhou!

Just a heads up about a slight hiccup that we ran into on our flight here under this deal.

When we booked last fall, we originally bought EWR-HKG-HGH. Within the 24 hour free change period, I changed the ticket to EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when we actually flew. Once I checked in for the United flights, I was able to check in no problem on the Cathay app to get seat assignments and a mobile boarding pass for the HKG-HGH leg.

We had checked bags (I know, I know) and knew we had to give Cathay Dragon the bag tag numbers. The line at the transfer desk was long, so since we had mobile boarding passes we decided just to do it at the gate.

When we presented ourselves at the gate they were shocked to see us. They said that we had been offloaded from the flight since the system showed that we were not on board our UA EWR-HKG flight as per our ticket. We showed them our UA itin showing the EWR-ORD-HKG routing we actually did take.

There was a bit of panic amongst the group of gate agents, with our passports and baggage tags moving constantly back and forth between them. After about 10 minutes and lots of typing, we were back on the flight, but we no longer had seats together.

So moral of the story - if you make any change to your itinerary with UA, make sure they push the changed PNR to Cathay!

(I’m curious though - do the gate agents get an automatic notification that we weren’t on the flight as per their PNR, even if it’s from another alliance? I assume they must since they offloaded us)

Last edited by Toronto1970; Apr 10, 2018 at 3:53 am
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Greetings from Hangzhou!

Just a heads up about a slight hiccup that we ran into on our flight here under this deal.

When we booked last fall, we originally bought EWR-HKG-HGH. Within the 24 hour free change period, I changed the ticket to EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when we actually flew. Once I checked in for the United flights, I was able to check in no problem on the Cathay app to get seat assignments and a mobile boarding pass for the HKG-HGH leg.

We had checked bags (I know, I know) and knew we had to give Cathay Dragon the bag tag numbers. The line at the transfer desk was long, so since we had mobile boarding passes we decided just to do it at the gate.

When we presented ourselves at the gate they were shocked to see us. They said that we had been offloaded from the flight since the system showed that we were not on board our UA EWR-HKG flight as per our ticket. We showed them our UA itin showing the EWR-ORD-HKG routing we actually did take.

There was a bit of panic amongst the group of gate agents, with our passports and baggage tags moving constantly back and forth between them. After about 10 minutes and lots of typing, we were back on the flight, but we no longer had seats together.

So moral of the story - if you make any change to your itinerary with UA, make sure they push the changed PNR to Cathay!

(I’m curious though - do the gate agents get an automatic notification that we weren’t on the flight as per their PNR, even if it’s from another alliance? I assume they must since they offloaded us)
interesting experience, thankfully it turned out ok!
This also puts the notion that you can skip the HKG-HGH segment without forfeiting the inbound on UA into question. There must be some kind of information sharing more than the most basic version. If one fails to board in HKG, the UA agents may know that at PVG.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:59 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Houston consulate seems reluctant to give out 10-year. I applied for 10-year and they only gave me 6 months.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Is this finally dead? I can’t get any routing to price anymore...
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:29 am

I’m actually a local based in Shanghai during the summer. I’d be more than happy to show you around with a bunch of aviation enthusiast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.