Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swingaling
Found one with a slightly better cpm (assuming you actually fly the last flight).

BOS-IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG-HGH/HGH-SFO-EWR-YUL-YYZ

Actual Miles: 21,562.......At a $277 fare, that's 1.26cpm......
Sample dates? I cannot find anything close to $277.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by TerryK
Don't think available anymore as was able to see it months ago for a few days but now in the $488-550 range.
UPDATED -Nvmd

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jul 28, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Don't think available anymore as was able to see it months ago for a few days but now in the $488-550 range.
@swingaling just posted the info yesterday, so I'm assuming he was able to find that routing for $277 as of yesterday. We'll just have to wait for his reply...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by riphamilton
someone upthread had mentioned that SDC is impossible if there's another carrier in your itinerary. is that always the case? i'd like to leave BOS a day early and have a night in HNL. perhaps the app won't yield any SDC options, but would a phone agent be able to get me a seat as long as G is available?
Sometimes a phone agent will do it, provided it doesn't affect/touch the partner segment. But I personally wouldn't count on it. However, once the partner segment is flown and drops off, you can SDC the rest on the app or phone like normal.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
If you're connecting from UA to a KA flight, do you even have access to the star alliance options? I'm thinking the UA club may work since you're arriving from a UA flight, but wouldn't the SQ/TG lounges want to see an onward *A boarding pass.
I was assuming I would have access, given flying in on UA. Maybe not. I will try it just to find out, and will post the result. Meanwhile the Cathay lounge seems one not to miss.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Something fishy is going on. My HGH-SFO segment dropped off my itin, and it looks like UA is terminating the thrice-weekly service there in mid October.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Yes, I see the same thing for my and my wife's February and April, 2018 trips, too. You have the choice of canceling the entire trip with full refund or routing through Air China (HGH-PEK-USA; PEK-EWR, PEK-SFO and PEK-ORD). If you like, you can return from PVG (5x daily to SFO, ORD, LAX, EWR) or try to ask an agent to book you HGH-NRT(ANA)-USA. Note that HGH-HKG(CX)-USA will not work if you do not have Chinese visa. I am waiting for confirmation from the United Forum before I call United. Anyway, it is best that you have the options ready before you talk to United agent (more helpful information can be found at the thread with link below). Good luck.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ne-2017-a.html

Last edited by Kmxu; Jul 29, 2017 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:10 am

My question is this: how flexible will UA allow us to be in order to preserve the correct connection ex-HGH? I arrive via HKG, and my original flight, as you know, was HGH – SFO. Will UA agree to a tortured routing with a stop in NRT or TPE so that I can still qualify for the visa? Alternatively, I could return from PVG, but then I don't want to arrive HGH; I have so little time to sightsee as it is, I don't want to waste any time transiting in between the two cities. Will UA allow me to change the whole tickets to come in to work and leave out of PVG, or is that pushing it?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:48 am

It really depends upon the agent you talk to. In general, UA is very flexible with change in schedule/cancellation of flight. If you do not make unreasonable requests (such as routing through Europe), your request will be granted. Just get all of your options written on a piece of paper and push your top three choices as hard as you can when you talk to an agent. Also, it will be helpful for you to read the wiki and some pages of posts on this thread. Good luck.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ne-2017-a.html

Originally Posted by as219
My question is this: how flexible will UA allow us to be in order to preserve the correct connection ex-HGH? I arrive via HKG, and my original flight, as you know, was HGH – SFO. Will UA agree to a tortured routing with a stop in NRT or TPE so that I can still qualify for the visa? Alternatively, I could return from PVG, but then I don't want to arrive HGH; I have so little time to sightsee as it is, I don't want to waste any time transiting in between the two cities. Will UA allow me to change the whole tickets to come in to work and leave out of PVG, or is that pushing it?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
oh man this deal probably just got a lot better! might just end up hanging out in HKG for a couple of days and skipping HGH. please post any neat rebookings!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton
oh man this deal probably just got a lot better! might just end up hanging out in HKG for a couple of days and skipping HGH. please post any neat rebookings!
I've been trying to find new options ex HGH but your idea is way better. Solves the visa problem and has many more options to get back on UA metal. ^
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:18 am

When I called 1K line, the agent begged me not to cancel a trip for next April because of such a great deal. I had to cancel it anyway because of the long duration. I love to hear any great re-routings.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I have one trip in November where the HGH-SFO dropped off as well. I'm going to hold off to see if maybe anyone can get creative with the reroutes before I do anything.

Thinking of dropping HKG-HGH, and just leaving from HKG-SFO perhaps. I also wonder what fare class the rebooked flight will be in
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:40 am

It took an hour but I successfully dropped off the HGH segments to make it a HK weekend. Extra bonus: was able to get confirmed C on the 77W back to SFO. (Had originally booked paid C on the return because the additional cost was so low.). Very psyched!

Many thanks to riphamilton for the idea! ^
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TerryK
Sorry for the delay. Forgot to setup notifications. So, it looks like this deal has gotten a lot harder to find in the past couple days. It also looks like HGH-SFO availability is very poor after mid-October. Not sure if UA killed off the flight or what. Anyway, there are still some dates available for this fare, though there were a ton more options when I was doing searches for this the other day. The HGH-SFO leg must occur on a M/W/F and it appears that only certain dates have this fare available (for whatever reason).

That said, I was able to get the following to price out on ITA just now. If you're going to do it, I'd book it ASAP.

Itinerary
BOS to IAH — Fri, Sep 29 | United 304 | Dep: 5:05 am / Arr: 8:14 am

IAH to HNL — Fri, Sep 29 | United 253 | Dep: 9:55 am / Arr: 1:12 pm

HNL to GUM — Fri, Sep 29 | United 201 | Dep: 2:15 pm / Arr: 6:00 pm

GUM to HKG — Sat, Sep 30 | United 159 | Dep: 6:55 pm / Arr: 9:50 pm

HKG to HGH — Sun, Oct 1 | Cathay Dragon 626 | Dep: 7:50 am / Arr: 10:05 am

HGH to SFO — Wed, Oct 4 | United 983 | Dep: 10:55 am / Arr: 7:50 am

SFO to EWR — Wed, Oct 4 | United 535 | Dep: 11:40 am / Arr: 7:59 pm

EWR to YUL — Wed, Oct 4 | Air Canada 8497 | Dep: 10:00 pm / Arr: 11:21 pm

YUL to YYZ — Thu, Oct 5 | Air Canada 481 | Dep: 6:00 am / Arr: 7:19 am
Attached Images   

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.