Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
One advantage about KA HKG-HGH regarding TWOV: The HKG overnight means UA only checks you in to HKG and may not ask about visa, then KA HKG should be well versed.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:37 am

https://goo.gl/flights/r861A
$234
LAX-PVG HGH-HKG-GUM GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

About a week in China or go anywhere else. Must have Chinese visa for over 144 hours stay.
X31 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Is it just me, or are the shortened google links not working lately? I've noticed it for links I've posted, as well as from others.
That is weird. i just tried to pull it up and it looks stuck trying to pull up details.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by nyckid
https://goo.gl/flights/r861A
$234
LAX-PVG HGH-HKG-GUM GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

About a week in China or go anywhere else. Must have Chinese visa for over 144 hours stay.
Works out on 15April returning on 17 fro HGH for those unable to spend week in China. Alleviates need for visa as less than 144 hours.
nyckid likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
After I waked up this morning, I was looking at DCA-SFO-PVG-LAX-EWR-DCA itinerary for $600 leaving tomorrow. But I was astonished that I was able to book IAD-PVG/HGH-HKG-GUM-Canada city itinerary for travel tomorrow. The latter was more than $200 cheaper with slightly longer travel time and mileage. I was more astonished that United asked for volunteer for the first segment when I checked in. I guess that the cheapest booking code (G) was open long enough to let me book this itinerary. Keep checking and be ready to travel the next day!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
That is weird. i just tried to pull it up and it looks stuck trying to pull up details.
Refresh the page once it loads. It should take you to the purchase screen. I would jump on this deal if I didn't have a flight planned for this time.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:37 am

Pvg airport shuttle bus No1 to hong qiao railway station, non peak hour 1 hr for 30 cny.
hong qiao train to hangzhou east station 45-60 mins for 60-80 cny.
hangzhou east station take airport shuttle bus 30 mins for 20 cny.
Or pvg airport T1 take bus direct to hangzhou for 3hr about 100cny then take xiaoshan airport shuttle bus to hangzhou xiaoshan airport.

hongqiao and hangzhou east railway stations are quite big so need to have enough transit time to travel around. Foreign passport holder can buy railway ticket online but need collect physical ticket at counter.

I Just flew from Hangzhou airport yesterday. It is very mini internationa terminal and noticed that KA flight has self checkin machine as well.

pm me if u need any pvg/sha/hgh transportation information
mpiotrow likes this.

Last edited by skysun; Dec 24, 2018 at 9:43 am
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:56 am

I will take the long-distance bus shuttle from PVG to Wulinmen this time (on Dec. 26). I did Wulinmen to PVG once on Sunday because train tickets from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao were sold out. I will stay at a hotel near Wulinmen Square so that I can take a shuttle to HGH, too. This will make the trip a little simpler after so many runs last year and early this year.
Happy holidays to all!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
I'm looking at a couple different itineraries (found something out of DEN, which is my home airport):
  1. Flying into PVG one evening, and flying out of HGH the following afternoon (https://goo.gl/flights/J1fjK) - 16.6k PQM $347
  2. Flying into HGH one evening and flying out of HGH the following afternoon (https://goo.gl/flights/awkVN) - 17.2PQM $412
Both options give me about the same number of PQM, but option 1 is $65 USD cheaper than option 2, but option 2 seems like it would be easier because I do not have to find my way from PVG to HGH. I do not speak/read Chinese, and I am not sure how difficult it really is to get from PVG to HGH (even though people have posted info above).

What do you think? Would it be easier (even if it's slightly more expensive) to do option 2? That is, unless someone else is going to be flying into PVG and out of HGH the same days that I am and wouldn't mind if I tagged along for the trip between the 2 cities! ^
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I'm looking at a couple different itineraries (found something out of DEN, which is my home airport):
  1. Flying into PVG one evening, and flying out of HGH the following afternoon (https://goo.gl/flights/J1fjK) - 16.6k PQM $347
  2. Flying into HGH one evening and flying out of HGH the following afternoon (https://goo.gl/flights/awkVN) - 17.2PQM $412
Do you have a Chinese visa? If you're flying HKG-HGH-HKG, you'll need one. If you're flying LAX-PVG/HGH-HKG you won't.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Do you have a Chinese visa? If you're flying HKG-HGH-HKG, you'll need one. If you're flying LAX-PVG/HGH-HKG you won't.
Yes, I do...I should have mentioned that in my previous post.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:22 am

I am in Hangzhou now, which means that I cannot open your google link.😭 Which dates are you looking at? If it is on Feb. 19 (ua857, sfo-pvg), I can take you to Hangzhou on Feb. 20 by taking the shuttle from PVG. My other three trips (Mar. 18, Apr 1, & 15) arrive at PVG too late (ua891, sfo-pvg) to catch shuttle to Hangzhou (9:00 pm is the last one).
mpiotrow likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I am in Hangzhou now, which means that I cannot open your google link.😭 Which dates are you looking at? If it is on Feb. 19 (ua857, sfo-pvg), I can take you to Hangzhou on Feb. 20 by taking the shuttle from PVG. My other three trips (Mar. 18, Apr 1, & 15) arrive at PVG too late (ua891, sfo-pvg) to catch shuttle to Hangzhou (9:00 pm is the last one).
I'm looking at arriving in PVG on Apr 2 or Apr 16 (I hadn't looked at the other dates, but may consider that instead). How are you getting from PVG to HGH on the dates that you arrive too late to catch the shuttle?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:39 am

I will stay at Courtyard near Disney (7500 points per night), which has a shuttle to PVG. I will leave hotel before 8:00 am and head to Hongqiao Railway station (subway) to take high speed train to Hangzhou East Railway Station. I will then find the HGH shuttle there. Check-in counter for KA flight opens two hours before departure.
Kewldude21 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I will stay at Courtyard near Disney (7500 points per night), which has a shuttle to PVG. I will leave hotel before 8:00 am and head to Hongqiao Railway station (subway) to take high speed train to Hangzhou East Railway Station. I will then find the HGH shuttle there. Check-in counter for KA flight opens two hours before departure.
I am sending you a PM to ask about some details...thanks for the offer to help! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.