Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wolfpacktrojan
Transportation options from HGH to Hangzhou city center or PVG. Please add your name and your itinerary if you are interested in meeting other fellow FTers.
1) Taxi to Hangzhou city center, about 100 RMB ($15) for the entire party, not per person, walking from international terminal to domestic terminal (i.e., right turn after you get outside of the international terminal building), you will see taxi queue.
2) Shuttle bus, 20 RMB ($3), to Wulinmen CAAC Ticket Office or East Railway Station Line (two most popular options). The waiting hall for the shuttle bus is at Gate 10 (you can purchase ticket at Gate 14, too) Arrival Hall, on the first floor of the terminal building. Further details, see https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cit...ation.htm#hang
3) Shuttle from Hangzhou city center to PVG, 110 RMB, 3.5 hours: a) Wulinmen Ticket Office Central Hangzhou to PVG: (5:30, 6:10, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00)
b) Hangzhou Dragon Sports Center to PVG, 110 RMB, (7:00, 8:30, 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
). Further details, see https://traveladept.com/bus-pudong-hangzhou/
4) Train from Hangzhou East station to Shanghai Hongqiao; less than 100 RMB (~1 hr); then you can take Subway Line #2 to PVG, ~10 RMB and 2 hrs; or shuttle bus (Airport Line #1), about 1 hr, 30 RMB ($4.5), every 15 - 25 minutes. The Hangzhou East ticketing windows are located on 1st Floor, EAST Area of the station. Please allow 20-30 minutes for walking to 2nd floor departure, and security check. The frequency of Hangzhou-Hongqiao trains is as good as that of subways in many US cities.
5) Getting cash at HGH The international terminal at HGH (where you arrive) only has an exchange vendor with hefty fees that is open limited hours. However, the adjacent domestic terminal has a bank ATM. To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.
6 Getting TWOV without issues The advice is to print out your itinerary, hotel reservation, etc., to speed up the procedure at the entry point in China. At SFO, the check-in agents were clueless, so be prepared to get there very early and fight for your boarding passes. Please read the last few pages on this thread for first-hand experiences. Good luck. There is a thread on FT for further details. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...hread-231.html

ATM To get to the entrance of the domestic terminal, exit the international terminal and keep walking right, past the taxi stand. Then enter and take the escalator to the second floor. The bank ATM will be on your left, next to the escalator.

Travel information for Beijing and airport:
Beijing will have 2 hubs starting Sept 30,2019. PEK (Beijing Capital International Airport) is original main hub and will continue for Star Alliance flights and Cathay Pacific (including subsidiary Cathay Dragon Air). PKX (Beijing Daxing International Airport, will debut Sept 30, 2019)
planned for airlines of the SkyTeam alliance and One World Alliance (AA, BA, etc. except Cathay Pacific) will be relocated to the new airport. Most flyers taking advantage of this China OJ deal will continue fly through PEK. Some people who use positioning flights through Beijing using non-Star Alliance airlines need to make sure you are flying into PEK, or else need 2hr ground transportation from PKX to PEK.
PEK allows TWOV within 24hr to stay inside security zone airside. This is more convenient for immediate turn than Shanghai-PVG, which force all passengers to exit immigration and customs, then re-check in from land side, even if you have immediate turn within 24hr.

Who are going? When for outbound and inbound? Routing from major hubs:
July 2017

August 2017
Quinlanty: Aug 3, ORD-HKG-HGH; Aug 7, PVG-LAX-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ (see post #284 for a brief report on TWOV procedure at HGH).

September 2017
Kmxu: 1 Sept, IAD-HNL-GUM-, 3 Sept, GUM-PVG; 4 Sept, PVG-SFO-ORD
Quinlanty; Sep 1, IAD-HNL-GUM; Sept 3, GUM-PVG, Sep 4, PVG-SFO-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Sept 1; SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG Sept 3rd: HKG-HGH, Sept 4th: PVG-SFO
X31: 8 Sept BTV-EWR-SFO-HKG-HGH; 11 Sept PVG-NRT; 12 Sept HND-SFO-IAH-EWR; 13 Sept EWR-YUL
Kmxu + 3: 9 Sept, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH; 12 Sept, PVG-SFO-IAD
techdarko: 12 Sept, SFO-HKG; 14 Sept, HKG-HGH; 16 Sept, PVG-SFO
Quinlanty: Sep 14; SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-YVR
bencanfly: Sep 14, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 18, PVG-SFO-IAD
tde211: Sept 17, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 18 - PVG-SFO-YVR
Fishleafer: Sep 20, SFO-HKG-HGH; Sep 26, PVG-SFO-YVR
X31: 21 Sept BTV-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG; 23 Sept HKG-HGH; 25 Sept PVG-SFO-IAH-EWR; 26 Sept EWR-YUL
985X: Sept 22, LAX-SFO-HKG; Sept 23, HKG-HGH; Sept 25, PVG-LAX; Sept 26, LAX-YVR
flyingstudent: Sept 23: SFO-HGH
netoreisinger: 30 Sept, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; 4 Oct, PVG-SFO-ORD-YUL

October 2017
gba: Oct 22, SFO-HKG-HGH; Oct 29: PVG-NRT-SEA-YVR
beyounged: Oct 24, SAN-SFO-HKG, Oct 26, HKG-HGH, Nov 8, PVG-HND-YVR
as219: Oct 26, LGA-ORD-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-SFO-EWR-YUL (+1)
X31: 26 Oct BTV-ORD-HKG; 28 Oct HKG-HGH; 30 Oct PVG-SFO; 31 Oct SFO-ORD-YUL
riphamilton +1: Oct 27, BOS-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG (+1); Oct 30: HKG-GUM-NRT; Oct 31: NRT-ORD-YUL

November 2017
Quinlanty: Nov 3, BOS-EWR-HKG-HGH; Nov 6, HGH-SFO-IAH-ORD-YYZ
pushmyredbutton: Nov 19: BDL-ORD-HKG-HGH, Nov 27 HGH HKG-SFO-(YVR)
Davistev: Nov26, LAX-NRT-PVG

December 2017
Kmxu: Dec 1, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG; Dec 3, HKG-HGH, Dec 4, PVG-SFO-IAD
X31: Dec 1, YUL-IAD-IAH; Dec 2, IAH-LAX-PVG; Dec 4, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Dec 4, HNL-EWR-BTV.

January 2018
Kewldude21: Jan 14 IAH-EWR-HKG Jan 16 HKG-HGH Jan 22 PVG-SFO-IAH
mpiotrow: Jan 21, ORD-SFO-KIX; Jan 23, KIX-HGH; Jan 24, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL-DEN-YYZ

February 2018

March 2018
Davistev: Mar03, PVG-SFO-YVR
flyer777lr: Mar 20, DEN-HNL-GUM; Mar 23, GUM-KIX (NH)-HGH; Mar 26, HGH-HKG-GUM-HNL; Mar 27, HNL-EWR-YYZ
Kewldude21: Mar 22 IAH-EWR-HKG Mar 24 HKG-HGH Mar 28 HGH-PEK-SFO-IAH
flyme2: Mar 28, BTV-ORD-HKG; Mar 29: HKG-HGH; Apr 17: HKG-EWR-YUL
JetSetDave: Mar 29, EUG-SFO-HKG-HGH; April 3, PVG-SFO-EUG
Coeur 05: March 31, bos-sfo-hkg-pvg; April 5, PVG-lax-ord-yow

April 2018
ttyl: Apr 01 BTV-IAD-EWR-HKG; Apr 02 HKG-HGH; Apr 04 PVG-SFO-IAD-LGA-YUL
Toronto1970: April 6, EWR-ORD-HKG-HGH; April 13, CTU-SFO-EWR-YYZ
Exiled in Express: April 18, ORD-HKG-HGH; April 30, WUH-NRT-SEA-YVR
X31: Apr. 28 : BTV-EWR-HKG-HGH; May 1st : PVG-KIX; May 15th : ITM-HND-YVR-YYJ

May 2018
Kewldude21: May 3 IAH-SFO-HKG May 13 PEK-SFO-IAH

October 2018
KMXU, Oct. 18, IAD-SFO-HKG-HGH, Oct. 25, PVG-SFO-IAD

November 2018
KMXU, Nov. 14, ORD-HKG-XIY, Nov. 19, PEK-ORD

September 2019
xinliz Sept 4 SFO-NRT-PVG Sept 25 PEK-EWR-YOW
Flying Machine Sept 9 LAX-SFO-HKG Sept 10 HKG-HGH Sept 16 PVG-SFO-IAD

October 2019
kmxu: Oct 26, IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG, Oct. 27, HKG-XIY, Oct 30, CTU-SFO-IAH
wolfpacktrojan: Oct. 26, EWR-SFO-PVG, Oct. 28, PVG-NRT-SFO-YVR

November 2019
kmxuand his colleague: Nov 9, IAD-PEK, Nov 12, PEK-NRT-HNL-SFO-YYZ
kmxu's colleague: Nov 13, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 16, PEK-ORD
kmxu: Nov. 20, IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 22, PEK-EWR-YYZ
kmxu: Nov. 23, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Nov. 26, PEK-ORD
aquanine Nov 28: LAX-SFO-KIX, Nov 30: KIX-PEK, Dec 2: PEK-SFO-YVR

December 2019
kmxu: Nov. 30, IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 2, PEK-ORD-YYZ
kmxu: Dec. 3, YYZ-IAD-NRT-PEK, Dec. 6, PEK-ORD
jskang Dec 5, EWR-PVG, Dec 8, PEK-NRT-IAD-YOW

January 2020

February 2020

March 2020

April 2020
Print Wikipost

UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by swgsword
How did you get a LGA-HKG flight? Was it from EWR?

And yes, HKG-HGH-SFO is eligible, only the flights immediately arriving into and departing from China matters for the third country rule.
LGA-ORD-HKG... I live basically next door to LGA, so avoiding EWR is huge for me.

Kind of nervous about this, in a good way. I've done some crazy MRs, but have never been to China. Have never flown a transpac. Haven't flown longhaul Y in years. Will I survive it?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:51 pm

Sorry for the newb question, but here it goes...

I'm looking at the below routing -
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=BOS-EWR-...DM=&SG=&SU=mph

It mentions that the route is about 18k miles..... If I fly this three separate times, is the optimal outcome to credit the 54k miles against SQ so that I can get *Gold and its lounge perks?

This would be my first run and I have no status currently on any airline.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The lowest fare class for earning SQ status is L. The ticket for this China OJ deal is booked at G. So, the answer to your status qualification question to SQ is no. You can credit on Air Canada or Air New Zealand.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=304

If you route your trip through Guam, it will be close to 20K PQM if you credit to UA. If you are qualified for PQD waiver with Explorer Card spending of$25K a year, you will earn gold status for three trips.

Happy travels.

Originally Posted by g.henderson959
Sorry for the newb question, but here it goes...

I'm looking at the below routing -
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=BOS-EWR-...DM=&SG=&SU=mph

It mentions that the route is about 18k miles..... If I fly this three separate times, is the optimal outcome to credit the 54k miles against SQ so that I can get *Gold and its lounge perks?

This would be my first run and I have no status currently on any airline.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
SQ mileage accrual

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The lowest fare class for earning SQ status is L. The ticket for this China OJ deal is booked at G. So, the answer to your status qualification question to SQ is no. You can credit on Air Canada or Air New Zealand.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=304

If you route your trip through Guam, it will be close to 20K PQM if you credit to UA. If you are qualified for PQD waiver with Explorer Card spending of$25K a year, you will earn gold status for three trips.

Happy travels.
Kxmu, you have consistently given excellent advice about this itinerary as well as many others. Thanks much for this.

But, I believe your info for SQ mileage accrual is not correct. If I am wrong, forgive me.

The linky you provided is for UA mileage accrual of SQ flights.

You need to look at SQ Kris Flyer's accrual chart for UA flights. In fact, current accrual chart lists UA fare basis "G" accumulates 100% on SQ FFP. Based on that all UA flights on OP's inquiry will accumulate the actual mileage, ASIDE from the HKG-HGH segments which will NOT accumulate any mileage credit, as they are not on *A, but in DragonAir.
I hope this clarifies the mileage accrual questions.
KFOALLEVEL.Pdf

Last edited by cagcag; Jul 23, 2017 at 9:46 am Reason: Pdf
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thanks. You are correct.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:02 am

Thank you both very much!

Curious... where do you guys recommend I credit this to if I am to start a mileage run from zero? Is SQ the correct and most optimal route?

I guess my goal for now is to get to Star Alliance Gold in order to get the lounge access. Since I don't have status with United, and getting to a point where business class upgrades (1k, premiere) is probably unattainable for me, I figure to just go for *G through SQ.

Wondering what you guys would recommend?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Thank you both very much!

Curious... where do you guys recommend I credit this to if I am to start a mileage run from zero? Is SQ the correct and most optimal route?

I guess my goal for now is to get to Star Alliance Gold in order to get the lounge access. Since I don't have status with United, and getting to a point where business class upgrades (1k, premiere) is probably unattainable for me, I figure to just go for *G through SQ.

Wondering what you guys would recommend?
If you have an overseas address listed on your UA account, I'd probably recommend crediting to UA, since if you do end up hitting the 75k/100k levels, you'd get the additional upgrade certificates and you'd get *G benefits at 50k.

If you have a USA based addressed, SQ appears to be the best option. You should be able to credit this 100% to SQ. However their website is very vague when it comes to differentiating earned miles vs elite miles on partners, in which UA does earn 100% in G for the first case. But if it does credit, this would be the optimal route.

My biggest question is why would you be doing this? Just for the lounge access? You can buy priority pass for a fraction of these runs, and get nearly the same level of comfort in most cases. The only way I can see this being useful starting from scratch is if you had a lot of travel planned next year where *G would be beneficial. Other than that, I hardly see the point in going from 0 to 50k just for *G benefits.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Jul 23, 2017 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:17 pm

Yes, I do have quite a few travel plans lined up in the next year or so. I have access to a buddy pass with a star alliance carrier and I've always wanted to see if I can get lounge access for myself and a guest.

You're correct, I do have a non-US address so the United accrual seemed interesting to me. However, qualifying for 1k each and every year by accruing 100k miles doesn't seem sustainable to me. While at SQ, to maintain my *G, I understand that I am cutting that requirement in half (fly 50k miles United and credit to SQ to qualify for *G each and every year).

The way I see it, I'd spend about $900 USD, and in return, I will have 50k SQ miles and *G status for lounge access. Still debating if this is worth the time/money....
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
You're correct, I do have a non-US address so the United accrual seemed interesting to me. However, qualifying for 1k each and every year by accruing 100k miles doesn't seem sustainable to me. While at SQ, to maintain my *G, I understand that I am cutting that requirement in half (fly 50k miles United and credit to SQ to qualify for *G each and every year).

The way I see it, I'd spend about $900 USD, and in return, I will have 50k SQ miles and *G status for lounge access. Still debating if this is worth the time/money....
Since you do have a non-US address, Premier Gold on UA will give you *G status for 50k a year as well, just like SQ, so the qualification amounts are actually the same.

In that case, personally I think it comes down to which benefits you value more, and which airlines/routes you'd be flying.

The way I see it:

Benefits of crediting/getting *G on SQ:
-Much higher mileage accrual rate for redeemable miles (~50k for these runs vs 5k for UA)
-Lounge access on domestic itineraries within the USA

Benefits of crediting/getting *G on UA:
-Economy Plus access on United flights
-Free same-day change/complimentary upgrades

If you don't plan to do much United/USA flying, I think SQ is definitely the way to go. Others may chime in with more helpful advice, but it comes down to your personal travel schedule really.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Since you do have a non-US address, Premier Gold on UA will give you *G status for 50k a year as well, just like SQ, so the qualification amounts are actually the same.

In that case, personally I think it comes down to which benefits you value more, and which airlines/routes you'd be flying.

The way I see it:

Benefits of crediting/getting *G on SQ:
-Much higher mileage accrual rate for redeemable miles (~50k for these runs vs 5k for UA)
-Lounge access on domestic itineraries within the USA

Benefits of crediting/getting *G on UA:
-Economy Plus access on United flights
-Free same-day change/complimentary upgrades

If you don't plan to do much United/USA flying, I think SQ is definitely the way to go. Others may chime in with more helpful advice, but it comes down to your personal travel schedule really.
Does SQ KrisFlier have a minimum number of segments on SQ metal annually to achieve/maintain status?
Is status/redeemable miles accumulated on actual flight miles on partners?
How is that figure of ~50K each RT calculated? Actual UA metal miles? Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:48 pm

50k was after 3x of these trips at about 17k RT each.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
PS Found some very reasonable inbound C options. HGH-SFO-EWR in C cost a hair under $1K more than Y. I find that extremely reasonable for 16+ hours of lie-flat. Couldn't make this work on the outbound, unfortunately...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:06 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Has anybody been able to view their reservation with Dragonair/Cathay? When I try to view it online using the eTicket I get an error that says:

No RLOC Associated with this ET
And I cannot view it using the record locator than United provided
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gba
Has anybody been able to view their reservation with Dragonair/Cathay?
It took several days for my reservation to get confirmed on Dragonair. I'm now able to access it. Unfortunately, Dragonair doesn't allow seats to be selected. So, it's not all that useful except to know that the reservation is there.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SAS Gold , HH Diamond
I just realized how bad basic economy actually is..is this trip in basic economy?.So not being a Star Alliance Gold member could mean that I might end up in middle seat for ~50h flight and I can't even take anything with me (only a very small bag where I might get a deo in it )

Last edited by FaBSy; Jul 25, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.