Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

OW: ARN-HKG in PE - around 600

Old Jan 22, 17, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Good deal IMO... The 190TP might be handy too (3.15 per TP earned).

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/?so...c=p;a=ONEWORLD

Various dates/routes/length of stay options.

Needs booking via Expedia AFAIK. Be cautious when re-selecting flights as they'll drop into economy rather than premium.

https://www.expedia.se/Details?piid=...-1c851e8b551c&

Interested to see if anyone can get a better price from different departure airport... MAD has some good options, but it's about 740.
Old Jan 23, 17, 2:57 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I booked SVG (Stavanger, Norway) - HKG for 369 one way, BA/CX via LHR 2 weeks ago through Amex Travel online to take advantage of the 50 cashback offer. Fares were showing just a shade over 500 one way ex-Scandinavia before then so this is a good deal. Books into E class on CX and earns 100% in BAEC.

I'm doing a back-to-back LHR-SVG this Saturday before connecting onto HKG in the evening.
Old Jan 23, 17, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Strawb View Post
I booked SVG (Stavanger, Norway) - HKG for 369 one way, BA/CX via LHR 2 weeks ago through Amex Travel online to take advantage of the 50 cashback offer. Fares were showing just a shade over 500 one way ex-Scandinavia before then so this is a good deal. Books into E class on CX and earns 100% in BAEC.

I'm doing a back-to-back LHR-SVG this Saturday before connecting onto HKG in the evening.
Only finding it for about 8 less... shame BA doesn't land with ample connection time LHR-SVG to link it together as the later departure time would be preferable!
Old Jan 23, 17, 6:19 am

I've done LHR-SVG back-to-back, one of the easiest turnarounds you can do. Off the plane, wait in the departure lounge and get back on again. Only problem is if you have checked luggage, then you should position the day before, but that only gives you the choice of the morning flights to HKG. I did consider doing that and trying the A350 from LGW but Amex does not offer next day connections.
Old Jan 23, 17, 10:34 am

Too bad books into E, can't upgrade with Asiamiles.
Old Jan 25, 17, 12:33 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I've done LHR-SVG back-to-back, one of the easiest turnarounds you can do. Off the plane, wait in the departure lounge and get back on again. Only problem is if you have checked luggage, then you should position the day before, but that only gives you the choice of the morning flights to HKG. I did consider doing that and trying the A350 from LGW but Amex does not offer next day connections.
Yes, it does. You need to search using multi-city.

Maybe it isn't working because it's BA ET + CX PEY. But I did ARN-HKG in J for 1200 last year booked with Amex Travel.

As with all my ex-EU trips, I spent the day at the origin HBO, then went home to sleep and to collect my checked baggage for the long-haul next morning. In fact I took the inaugural A350 from LGW.

I have just been looking at J for May this year, still bookable on Amex Travel, but price is now 1500-1700, due to higher SEK price as well as GBP devaluation.

1500 is only available on limited dates which might not work for me. So maybe PE for 600 is better. Will see if I can get suitable dates later tonight.

BTW, as these are CX tickets (issued as 160-), would people agree that dropping the last leg is less risky compared to a ticket with all BA flights?

Also CX will happily check bags to LHR, though BA at HKG is also happy to do this for ex-EU tickets unlike BA in the USA. The problem can be completely avoided with LGW, but it's only 4 days a week.
Old Jan 25, 17, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Yes, it does. You need to search using multi-city.

Maybe it isn't working because it's BA ET + CX PEY.
You can do multi-city searches but, as you suggest, the problem is that the only way to get overnight connections in LON is to include ARN-LHR as a sector in your multi-city search and of course it looks for PE flights only and there are none, so the search fails. Shame it isn't smart enough to search the short sectors in economy.

Have been playing around with various booking sites to get HKG-LGW / LHR-ARN connections on the return but can't get it to work.
Old Jan 26, 17, 2:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
You can do multi-city searches but, as you suggest, the problem is that the only way to get overnight connections in LON is to include ARN-LHR as a sector in your multi-city search and of course it looks for PE flights only and there are none, so the search fails. Shame it isn't smart enough to search the short sectors in economy.

Have been playing around with various booking sites to get HKG-LGW / LHR-ARN connections on the return but can't get it to work.
I wonder if Amex Travel can do it over the phone?
Old Jan 26, 17, 3:09 am

As Jetstreamer (hi! Nice to see a fellow ex-bmi poster again!) has already mentioned, multi-city searches using the same class of travel is easy. When it involves different cabins then some OTAs can't cope, Amex being one of them.
Old Jan 26, 17, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
As Jetstreamer (hi! Nice to see a fellow ex-bmi poster again!) has already mentioned, multi-city searches using the same class of travel is easy. When it involves different cabins then some OTAs can't cope, Amex being one of them.
Yep, still around but the game isn't as much fun as it used to be

Search this Thread
Search Engine: