Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: PVG-Island Hopper-EWR 346 USD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA plat
Originally Posted by privateandinstrument
I often read these island hopper mileage run threads with envy; and not just for the miles, but also and more importantly for the opportunity to see some of the islands that one actually hops!

I have taken a few shots at building an itinerary, and every time the price has been a few thousands.

So is there a trick to finding and booking an island hopper deal, particularly if I want long layovers on some of the islands, or is it a matter of playing with dates and routes until you find one you like (price wise)? In the latter case, do specific origins and destinations work best?

Thanks.

A good option to use for stopovers is if you have enough award miles. It's 25k miles +$5.60 for HNL-GUM for the island hopper, without stopovers, or add a stopover in PNI e.g. for an additional 12.5k miles + $7.00 Do a multi-city award search for HNL-PNI, and PNI-GUM.
Or switch PNI-GUM to PNI-MNL for 22.5k miles +$12.60

This takes EWR out of the equation. Just have to get to HNL with cash or miles (22.5k from CONUS)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by bluegrassfan
A good option to use for stopovers is if you have enough award miles. It's 25k miles +$5.60 for HNL-GUM for the island hopper, without stopovers, or add a stopover in PNI e.g. for an additional 12.5k miles + $7.00 Do a multi-city award search for HNL-PNI, and PNI-GUM.

This takes EWR out of the equation. Just have to get to HNL with cash or miles (22.5k from CONUS)

Just wanted to add that while there is not alot of time on the ground during the island hopper, you do have the time to go to the various immigration shacks and get your passport stamped; except for Kwajalein where you can't get off the plane. That's what I did.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
Just wanted to add that while there is not alot of time on the ground during the island hopper, you do have the time to go to the various immigration shacks and get your passport stamped; except for Kwajalein where you can't get off the plane. That's what I did.
I did this run in October 2014 and none of the immigration authorities gave me a stamp. I did get some cool photos though!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pspark
I did this run in October 2014 and none of the immigration authorities gave me a stamp. I did get some cool photos though!
At Majuro, it takes a little convincing for the officer to give you a stamp. The FSM airports are much easier - just have to ask.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL

Didn't there use to be a free stopover on the Island Hopper. You just spent two days on your island till the next flight came through. Or has that changed with recent policy change at United?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:35 am

Still showing a fare of $324.00 on ita matrix. Fare rules state NO STOPS PERMITTED
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
*deleted*
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Available to other cities as well, like ORD.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK*G
Now I see it too. Can also be found via Google Flights https://www.google.se/flights/?gl=us...2-03;tt=m;a=UA
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:41 am

Thanks for the link. Was looking to buy out in April but the fair is a lot higher. Still not bad.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I got stamps during each stop including Kwajelin. Figured the crew would let us reboard since we had a boarding pass.

Majuro took the most convincing. Then, as fate had it plane went mechanical resulting in an overnight in MAJ (2 more stamps!)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: UA*G, SK*G
I'm debating with myself whether I should do it since I'll be in Shanghai anyway.

I wonder whether this itinerary will traumatize me for life.

PVG-GUM
GUM-HNL (Island hopper with 5 stops)
HNL-SFO
SFO-ORD
(no hotel nights in between, but trying to fly on 777 on the HNL-SFO/SFO-ORD, hoping to score Premier Upgrade to Business)
maybe a night at a hotel in ORD
Then one way to Bangkok in Economy Plus (at least one stop) using 40.000 UA miles.

My feeling jumps between "trip of my life" and "I would regret this after only 2 legs flown". Also I'll have a checked suitcase with me so no chance of spontaneously abandoning the trip in HNL.

Anyone knows of a way to get a shower on/around HNL airport without paying for a hotel?
Also, I am wondering whether I'll have access to United Clubs between the domestic legs if I arrive from an international flight? I remember this worked once for me when coming from Europe and having a layover in the US before reaching my final destination in the US. But not sure if this is policy. Does the "international flight within 24 hours" requirement for UA*G also include "24 hours prior" to the date of entering a club?

Last edited by imartin2k; Jan 20, 2017 at 1:58 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by imartin2k
Also I'll have a checked suitcase with me so no chance of spontaneously abandoning the trip in HNL.
You go through customs in HNL, so it would totally be possible to end your trip there.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
My feeling jumps between "trip of my life" and "I would regret this after only 2 legs flown".
I'd say go for it. Even some brutal itineraries make for great memories/experiences, but YMMV.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:56 pm

I'm debating with myself whether I should do it since I'll be in Shanghai anyway.

I wonder whether this itinerary will traumatize me for life.

PVG-GUM
GUM-HNL (Island hopper with 5 stops)
HNL-SFO
SFO-ORD
(no hotel nights in between, but trying to fly on 777 on the HNL-SFO/SFO-ORD, hoping to score Premier Upgrade to Business)
maybe a night at a hotel in ORD
Then one way to Bangkok in Economy Plus (at least one stop) using 40.000 UA miles.

My feeling jumps between "trip of my life" and "I would regret this after only 2 legs flown". Also I'll have a checked suitcase with me so no chance of spontaneously abandoning the trip in HNL.

Anyone knows of a way to get a shower on/around HNL airport without paying for a hotel?
Also, I am wondering whether I'll have access to United Clubs between the domestic legs if I arrive from an international flight? I remember this worked once for me when coming from Europe and having a layover in the US before reaching my final destination in the US. But not sure if this is policy. Does the "international flight within 24 hours" requirement for UA*G also include "24 hours prior" to the date of entering a club?
I am looking to book this trip to, msg me if you do and maybe we can have a 6 flight airborn mini-do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.