AA: ARN-LHR-LAX-SFO-ORD-LHR-ARN 394$ 13374EQM at 2.9cpm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: ARN-LHR-LAX-SFO-ORD-LHR-ARN 394$ 13374EQM at 2.9cpm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by cvision
What are you trying? Pricing DUB-LHR-ARN / ARN-LHR-SFO return? That definitely won't work due to two reasons:
(1) The fare is (only) valid for ARN+SFO, i.e. will be applied for flights from ARN via XYZ to SFO. (There are additional possible dep. and arr. airports, but they are most likely to be in the same region, e.g. CPH,OSL,SVG,BGO,GOT,ARN and SFO,SJC,LAX,ONT,SNA,SAN)
(2) The fare rules do not allow end-on-end ticketing, so you cannot combine e.g. a DUB-to-ARN fare with this ARN-to-SFO fare.

If you're trying to do e.g. ARN-LHR-DUB-PHL/JFK-SFO... I don't know, but why would one do that, it is not even close to maximize mileage. If you want to maximize already while in the EU I would look at something like ARN-HEL-LHR and then TATL. And for the US choose some deep-south hubs...

On another note, ~<24hrs connections can also have two different effects on the whole price. I have seen flights where it effectively reduced the fare by say 5%, but others where the fare upped by more than that (still same fare basis etc.pp.)
Hi and thanks.

Well i wasnt sure that it was specific to ARN, i couldnt see that from the basis. I admit i did try to add a Dub to ARN but your response covers my results.

Essentially then i was trying to start from DUB and go via LON to SFO but that also didnt work, i guess if its a special fare from ARN then thats the answer.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Don't forget that AA is going revenue based for their FFP. This may only earn 4400 rdm for exp or less depending on your date of travel and status.
This argument is such a red herring. First off, ANY flight that's inexpensive is going to "only be worth xxx depending on status."

Second, the whole revenue argument itself is a non-starter for mileage runs. This is a MILE-age run, not a revenue run. That's the whole point.

Third, revenue only counts for RDM earnings, not EQM. No one should be doing a mileage run to accumulate RDM's when you can earn 50k of the things just for signing up for a credit card.

And fourth, many flyers, myself included, are just fine on revenue thanks to work travel, but find themselves 10-20k short on status miles by December.

Long-live-the-mileage-run! (LLTMR, for short.)
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by acquiescefc
Well i wasnt sure that it was specific to ARN, i couldnt see that from the basis. I admit i did try to add a Dub to ARN but your response covers my results.
Go and read some more and try out some more major airports in each and every region . You will quickly learn what AA and BA do with their fares. There are always clusters. The Scandinavia (i.e. Norway, Denmark and Sweden) one I stated and BENELUX (i.e. AMS,BRU,LUX) are the most prominent ones I think. They produce cheap fares from the EU to the US, especially East and West coast. Dublin I think is most famous for its cheap business class deals that are even cheaper than the ex-OSL ones making them famous for all those UK-based runners.

Essentially then i was trying to start from DUB and go via LON to SFO but that also didnt work, i guess if its a special fare from ARN then thats the answer.
See above.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boogie711
This argument is such a red herring. First off, ANY flight that's inexpensive is going to "only be worth xxx depending on status."

Second, the whole revenue argument itself is a non-starter for mileage runs. This is a MILE-age run, not a revenue run. That's the whole point.
You are correct that, once AA goes revenue-based for RDM, doing MRs for RDM no longer makes sense. Which appears to be Mrp Alert's point! How is it a red herring?

Third, revenue only counts for RDM earnings, not EQM. No one should be doing a mileage run to accumulate RDM's when you can earn 50k of the things just for signing up for a credit card.
No. You get a 50k bonus by signing up and spending $3k in 3 months, with the associated costs of doing that. And, barring loopholes, you can only do that once every 2 years or slightly less. If you're trying to say that people planning an MR shouldn't care about the fact the RDMs will be lower after the switch, just because of card bonuses, I disagree. More RDMs is still better for a lot of people.

And fourth, many flyers, myself included, are just fine on revenue thanks to work travel, but find themselves 10-20k short on status miles by December.

Long-live-the-mileage-run! (LLTMR, for short.)
"many fliers", not "all", probably not even "most".
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:24 am

ill be honest i dont understand the combinations or where to start. I either get too much or too little results. and when it errors i dont understand why or what is wrong. What i think is right doesnt work.

Im sure theres a way but trying to decipher 3000 pages in the trick it thread gives me a defeatist attitude.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
You do not need to read the whole rules. Just start with the important stuff, which is applicable dates, sales restrictions, advanced ticketing restrictions, transfers, stopovers and end-on-end and play around.
Also, bear in mind that hubs are easy-to-transfer-cities as there are many flights in and out of those. In case of OW carriers that'd be e.g. JFK,LGA,DCA,ORD,CLT,PHL,MIA,DFW,LAX.

Another hint. To exclude some search results you can use switches. Search for the ITA thread here on FT. E.g. "-overnight" (without " ") excludes any flights that would incur in an overnight layover.

Last edited by cvision; Feb 22, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Do you really think nobody currently does mileage runs for the RDMs or that they are such people but they are foolish?

IMHO there are clearly many people who justifiably value the RDMs enough and that mileage runs become a marginal or even pointless activity once RDMs become revenue based.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by zoombee
Do you really think nobody currently does mileage runs for the RDMs or that they are such people but they are foolish?

IMHO there are clearly many people who justifiably value the RDMs enough and that mileage runs become a marginal or even pointless activity once RDMs become revenue based.
Yes. Let me say this bluntly but respectfully - I would suggest that if you are doing mileage runs for the RDM's, you have a very... 'unique' set of priorities.

Agree, disagree, I'm a big boy. But - here are some inconvenient facts: You can buy plain RDM's from the website for approx 2c each.

Therefore, when someone comes on here and says "Oh, this won't be worth as much when AA goes revenue based" that's a pointless argument - because EVERY inexpensive fare will be worth less RDM's when AA goes revenue based.

Doing a mileage run for the sake of collecting RDM's is like climbing Everest for the sake of gathering snowflakes. The snow is going to be there whether you go to Nepal or North Dakota. If you get the opportunity to climb Everest, you're not going to say "no" because "there isn't enough snow there anymore."

Is it nicer when there's more snow? Sure. I get it. You like snow. But choosing whether or not to make a climb decision based on snow totals is laughable... or at the very least, like I say, an indicator of a questionable decision making process.

So is doing or not doing a mileage run based solely on whether or not you will accumulate x number of RDM's. We do mileage runs to move up in status - from Plat to ExPlat, etc.

If the only reason you're doing a mileage run is to collect RDMs, enjoy yourself... but I can buy twice as many RDM's as you just earned, for less money, in 1/100th of the time.

But hey - go nuts.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:45 am

Heck - let me expand on that even more.

In my opinion, the only worthwhile reason to do a mileage run is for the status bump. Period.

If you're a Gold member, and you do a mileage run, and finish the year as a Gold member, you've wasted your time and money on that mileage run.

You can't say "Well, I got to enjoy a nice 8 hours in Indonesia." That's great. It's a mini-vacation, not a mileage run. You just spent 40 hours in a plane to accumulate miles that I could have bought in less than 3 minutes online, for half-as-much money.

You can stick them all together, sure - you get a status bump, AND a fun weekend AND 40,000 RDM's.... but ONLY if it comes with the status bump. The status bump is the bottom line, and without the status bump, you're just being foolhardy.

So to claim the death of mileage runs due to revenue spend requirements is, respectfully... ludicrous, because revenue spend requirements ONLY affect RDM earnings.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Heck - let me expand on that even more.

In my opinion, the only worthwhile reason to do a mileage run is for the status bump. Period.

If you're a Gold member, and you do a mileage run, and finish the year as a Gold member, you've wasted your time and money on that mileage run.

You can't say "Well, I got to enjoy a nice 8 hours in Indonesia." That's great. It's a mini-vacation, not a mileage run. You just spent 40 hours in a plane to accumulate miles that I could have bought in less than 3 minutes online, for half-as-much money.

You can stick them all together, sure - you get a status bump, AND a fun weekend AND 40,000 RDM's.... but ONLY if it comes with the status bump. The status bump is the bottom line, and without the status bump, you're just being foolhardy.

So to claim the death of mileage runs due to revenue spend requirements is, respectfully... ludicrous, because revenue spend requirements ONLY affect RDM earnings.
Personally, I'm not running when I can buy miles for less money online. I'm only going to run when:
(1) The RDMs are more valuable than the fare
(2) The EQMs are going to elevate my status
(3) The destination interests me enough to spend a day or two there
(4) When I'm looking forward to the on-board experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.