Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

MU: LAX to SIN $637 at 2.75 CPM (To Capitalize on Delta's SkyMiles & MQM Bonuses)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MU: LAX to SIN $637 at 2.75 CPM (To Capitalize on Delta's SkyMiles & MQM Bonuses)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond

POTENTIAL of 23,145 RDM's and 11,949 for $637

We have been finding a lot of China Eastern Mileage Runs in the last 48 hours, since Delta announced their Bonus SkyMiles and MQM's for flying their partner (which Delta has recently bought an interest in)

The best Bonuses (up to 200%) for SkyMiles and Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM's) are for Business / First Class fares...but still some of the economy flights can be good for MQM accumulations.

One such flight (Departing April 22nd, Arriving SIN April 25th and Return April 27th) we found is:

LAX-PVG-KMG-SIN-PVG-LAX

$636.96

This books into T and B fare classes.

T only earns .5 SkyMiles (per mile flown, not based on fare price) and 1 MQM per mile flown

B Earns 1 SkyMile (per mile flown, not based on fare price) and 1 MQM per mile flown

Here is our segment breakdown:

Fare: $636.96
RDM 10,521
MQM 11,949
Cost 4.95 CPM

With Medallion MQM Bonus
(4).Medallion Mileage Bonus is based on Base Miles earned:

Diamond - 120%;
Platinum - 80%;
Gold - 60%;
Silver - 40%

Diamond Medallions 23145 2.75 Cents Per RDM
Platinum Medallions 18937 3.36 Cents Per RDM
Gold Medallions 16833 3.78 Cents Per RDM
Silver Medallions 14729 4.32 Cents Per RDM

We have several more...I am just sharing one of our Economy Finds....

Wide-Open dates (1-5 nights layover) in March/April

One Night Layovers Start around $637

Since you are transiting through China, I have received some questions regarding VISA's for this trip.

You do NOT NEED A VISA as China offers three distinct opportunities for transit passengers to enter the PRC without a visa - a 24 hour TWOV (transit without visa), 72 hour TWOV and 144 hour TWOV. For each, you must ultimately be departing China to a third country.

Movements of travelers who qualify for 72-hour TWOV are restricted to the city/region of arrival. This limitation varies from city to city, but generally travelers are required to remain within about 100 miles of the arrival airport.

If you would like to find out more there is a FlyerTalk thread devoted to the subject

Last edited by laptoptravel; Feb 9, 2016 at 1:02 pm Reason: Adjusted RDM's & MQM's & Included Transit Visa Information
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Seeing a lot of CA (Air China)

Not MU (China Eastern) but a little less expensive $629.36.

Only one stop though.

Example:
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-...TM119epeSx4001
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Link or dates please

Originally Posted by John DELTA
One such flight we found is:

LAX-PVG-KMG-SIN-PVG-LAX

$636.96

This books into T and B fare classes.

T only earns .5 SkyMiles (per mile flown, not based on fare price) and 1 MQM per mile flown

B Earns 1 SkyMile (per mile flown, not based on fare price) and 1 MQM per mile flown

Here is our segment breakdown:

RDM 10,521
MQM 11,949
Cost 4.95 CPM

With Medallion MQM Bonus

Platinum - 80%

Platinum Medallions 18937 3.36 Cents Per MQM

We have several more...I am just sharing one of our Economy Finds....

Wide-Open dates (1-5 nights layover) in March/April

One Night Layovers Start around $637
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by InStock
Not MU (China Eastern) but a little less expensive $629.36.

Only one stop though.

Example:
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view-...TM119epeSx4001
Air China or China Air? One is SkyTeam and the other *A.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
What is the "Medallion MQM Bonus?"
I thought that was RDM bonuses for elite members, not MQM bonuses. Or did I miss something?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
POTENTIAL of 23,145 MQM's for $637
[...]
RDM 10,521
MQM 11,949
Cost 4.95 CPM

With Medallion MQM Bonus

Diamond - 120%;
Platinum - 80%;
Gold - 60%;
Silver - 40%

Diamond Medallions 23145 2.75 Cents Per MQM
Platinum Medallions 18937 3.36 Cents Per MQM
Gold Medallions 16833 3.78 Cents Per MQM
Silver Medallions 14729 4.32 Cents Per MQM
Are you sure the bonus miles are MQMs and not RDMs?

the phrase "Medallion Mileage Bonus" as used here

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html

and here

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...age-bonus.html

seems to refer to the extra RDMs for Medallion members.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cliburn
What is the "Medallion MQM Bonus?"
I thought that was RDM bonuses for elite members, not MQM bonuses. Or did I miss something?

Yeah I've never heard of such a thing. Elite-bonus status miles dont exist anywhere because it'd make re-qualification a joke.

Pretty sure OP made a small mistake there.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Yeah I've never heard of such a thing. Elite-bonus status miles dont exist anywhere because it'd make re-qualification a joke.

Pretty sure OP made a small mistake there.
Not sure...but it has been done before as attested to by this flyer and this FlyerTalk Thread and well as this FlyerTalk thread

I did an SEA-JFK-ATL-SEA-HKG-SEA-JFK-SEA in 2014 and got DOUBLE RDM's and DOUBLE MQM's for every segment (except the JFK-ATL)

However, reading it over again you may be correct that "Medallion Mileage Bonus" is not the same as "Medallion QUALIFICATION Mileage Bonus"
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure...but it has been done before as attested to by this flyer and this FlyerTalk Thread and well as this FlyerTalk thread

I did an SEA-JFK-ATL-SEA-HKG-SEA-JFK-SEA in 2014 and got DOUBLE RDM's and DOUBLE MQM's for every segment (except the JFK-ATL)

However, reading it over again you may be correct that "Medallion Mileage Bonus" is not the same as "Medallion QUALIFICATION Mileage Bonus"
" NEW PROMO - DOUBLE MQMs ON MANY SEATTLE FLIGHTS"

is the title of that thread, and it specifically mentions an ongoing MQM promo. I can find no evidence of such a promo at the moment, neither on FT nor on Delta's site so I'm gonna guess that was a temporary thing (which would make sense)

the "general" Medallion Bonus is just RDM. Constant MQM Medallion bonuses would make requalification waaaaaay too easy, hence they don't exist (outside of short-term or route-specific promos)
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

the "general" Medallion Bonus is just RDM. Constant MQM Medallion bonuses would make requalification waaaaaay too easy, hence they don't exist (outside of short-term or route-specific promos)
Delta Announces MQM and Mileage Bonuses when Flying Partner China Eastern Airlines

I have edited the post to reflect the accurate Redeemable Miles Earned and the Medallion Qualification Miles to be earned through this Delta Promotion:

If you hold Medallion Status with Delta, you get the following Medallion Mileage Bonuses added,

Diamond - 120%; Platinum - 80%; Gold - 60%; Silver - 40%
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta Announces MQM and Mileage Bonuses when Flying Partner China Eastern Airlines

I have edited the post to reflect the accurate Redeemable Miles Earned and the Medallion Qualification Miles to be earned through this Delta Promotion:

If you hold Medallion Status with Delta, you get the following Medallion Mileage Bonuses added,

Where does it say that those are bonus MQM? All I see is it being called "Medallion Mileage Bonus" which to me just sounds like RDM.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Where does it say that those are bonus MQM? All I see is it being called "Medallion Mileage Bonus" which to me just sounds like RDM.
So the email that Delta sent out to SkyMiles members stated:

"Earn More MQM's and MQD's" But I agree the BONUS MQM's are tied to premium fare classes, shown here on Delta's website

Fare Class MQM's Earned
First: U 200%
First: F 150%
First: P - International 150%
First: P - China Domestic 150%
Business: J 200%
Business: C 150%
Business: D, I 150%
Premium Economy: W 150%
Economy: Y 150%
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the email that Delta sent out to SkyMiles members stated:

"Earn More MQM's and MQD's" But I agree the BONUS MQM's are tied to premium fare classes, shown here on Delta's website

Fare Class MQM's Earned
First: U 200%
First: F 150%
First: P - International 150%
First: P - China Domestic 150%
Business: J 200%
Business: C 150%
Business: D, I 150%
Premium Economy: W 150%
Economy: Y 150%
I think all that happened is that they improved MQM earning based on fare classes categorically for that carrier. No promotion or elite-based bonus.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold

Thanks for starting to correct this useful-but-mess-of-a-post, lol...you now have one number correct - 23,145 RDMs. MQM calculation is still incorrect - by a LOT. I didn't catch the name of your blog, but maybe it is, "The Accidental DM."

A quick read here will be helpful: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...a-eastern.html

T class fares earn 100% MQMs. B class fares earn 150% MQMs. Total MQMs for the itinerary you are presenting: 19,613. Price is currently at $682.26. The cheaper (~$238) fares all have Q segments, which are non-earning.

This itinerary is not yet optimized for earning, though. For another $7.60 you can route through KMG on the return as well, converting the T-class SIN-PVG segment to B-class SIN-KMG-PVG segments and increasing earning to 21,541 MQMs and 26,838 RDMs (for DM), or 2.57cpm. Interestingly, this is about a 50X multiplier on MQDs rather than the 11X you'd earn for flying on DL...

Also, this may just be semantics, but this is not a "Delta Promotion." DL made an investment in MU and moved them from Group 3 to Group 1 in much the same way they did with VS and VA.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
This itinerary is not yet optimized for earning, though. For another $7.60 you can route through KMG on the return as well, converting the T-class SIN-PVG segment to B-class SIN-KMG-PVG segments and increasing earning to 21,541 MQMs and 26,838 RDMs (for DM), or 2.57cpm. Interestingly, this is about a 50X multiplier on MQDs rather than the 11X you'd earn for flying on DL...

Wait, what? 50x MQD? what? no. That's wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.