Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
No, they haven't.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:25 am
vek

Programs: Sky Team
Originally Posted by leiterk
My reading of the visa rule is that for the Shanghai region you can have a 144 hours stage with no visa required. You just need proof of planned exit within 144 hours. Does anyone have a different perspective on this?
this oj routing definitely requires a visa as the PVG enroute to HKG is not considered as a 3rd country destination.

My uncle did a fly from SYD-SIN-PVG oj HKG-SIN-SYD rtst last year got rejected entry upon landing in PVG due to the 144 visa waiver policy being not applicable for PVG stopover to HKG.
Chinese custom officer didn't stamp them thru and asked them to take transit flight to HKG for entry visa if they want to enter into mainland china.

144 hrs visa waiver policy only applies to visitors with enroute to 3rd country destination and HKG does not fall into this criteria.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:15 am

R/T AA, LGA to Hong Kong with No Open jaw for $539

New York (LGA) to Hong Kong (HKG) — Mon, Mar 14

New York (LGA) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Mon, Mar 14
American Airlines Inc. 137 Dep: 6:53 am Arr: 10:05 am 4h 12m Boeing 737 Economy (O)

Layover in DFW 2h 0m

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Hong Kong (HKG) — Mon, Mar 14
American Airlines Inc. 137 Dep: 12:05 pm Arr: 6:10 pm 17h 5m Boeing 777 Economy (O)
Tue, Mar 15

Hong Kong (HKG) to New York (LGA) — Wed, Mar 23

Hong Kong (HKG) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Wed, Mar 23
American Airlines Inc. 138 Dep: 1:10 pm Arr: 2:50 pm 14h 40m Boeing 777 Economy (O)

Layover in DFW 1h 50m

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to New York (LGA) — Wed, Mar 23
American Airlines Inc. 138 Dep: 4:40 pm Arr: 8:53 pm 3h 13m Boeing 737 Economy (O)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $539.16
Total cost for 1 passenger $539.16
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by SanFranDan
New York (LGA) to Hong Kong (HKG) — Mon, Mar 14

New York (LGA) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Mon, Mar 14
American Airlines Inc. 137 Dep: 6:53 am Arr: 10:05 am 4h 12m Boeing 737 Economy (O)

Layover in DFW 2h 0m

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to Hong Kong (HKG) — Mon, Mar 14
American Airlines Inc. 137 Dep: 12:05 pm Arr: 6:10 pm 17h 5m Boeing 777 Economy (O)
Tue, Mar 15

Hong Kong (HKG) to New York (LGA) — Wed, Mar 23

Hong Kong (HKG) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) — Wed, Mar 23
American Airlines Inc. 138 Dep: 1:10 pm Arr: 2:50 pm 14h 40m Boeing 777 Economy (O)

Layover in DFW 1h 50m

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to New York (LGA) — Wed, Mar 23
American Airlines Inc. 138 Dep: 4:40 pm Arr: 8:53 pm 3h 13m Boeing 737 Economy (O)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $539.16
Total cost for 1 passenger $539.16
Careful with this one. Since the flight numbers are the same you will only get miles as LGA-HKG-LGA not LGA-DFW-HKG-DFW-LGA.

That's a pretty big difference: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lga-hkg...g&MS=wls&DU=mi
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vek
this oj routing definitely requires a visa as the PVG enroute to HKG is not considered as a 3rd country destination.

My uncle did a fly from SYD-SIN-PVG oj HKG-SIN-SYD rtst last year got rejected entry upon landing in PVG due to the 144 visa waiver policy being not applicable for PVG stopover to HKG.
Chinese custom officer didn't stamp them thru and asked them to take transit flight to HKG for entry visa if they want to enter into mainland china.

144 hrs visa waiver policy only applies to visitors with enroute to 3rd country destination and HKG does not fall into this criteria.
no visa is required. Based on what you said, it seems maybe your uncle was denied because he entered china first and didn't have an onward ticket. You must show proof that you have a ticket leaving china within 144 hours (or 72 hours back then). Just having an open jaw on your routing doesn't suffice. Had your uncle had an onward ticket showing he was leaving china within the allowable time frame, he would not have been denied. The difference between your routing and the routing I posted is that mine enters HKG first, where no visa is required for I believe up to 30 days, and then when you enter china it is merely a connection point. I've personally done this numerous times and did have on one occasion had a check in agent deny my check in, of course I had to get a supervisor and show them they are wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by vek

I always thought HKG counted as a "third country". Was that not the case or did the rule change recently?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by XLR26
I always thought HKG counted as a "third country". Was that not the case or did the rule change recently?
it has in the past, I do not know if it has been changed since the policy changed from 72 to 144 hours. The poster that mentioned his uncle was denied entry unfortunately didn't understand his rights and had a dumb agent working that day.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Anyone seeing <$500 tix still available? Best fares I'm seeing are around $560
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: CX AS AA
Exclamation Updated 144hrs visa free pollicy

Just FYI guys, 144 hrs visa free policy now extend to Yangtze River Delta beginning at 1/31/2016, which means that you can take flight to one of the Following Airport in Yangtze River Delta: HGH (Hangzhou), NKG (Nanjing) SHA(Shanghai Hongqiao) and PVG(Shanghai Pudong).
144 hrs starts from the second day's 0 o'clock after you entered China, you may also consider to take CRH trains to Shanghai which usually won't take more than 5 hours to travel from the cities I mentioned above.
Reminder, 144hrs Visa free policy will only allow you travel within Yangtze River Delta.
If someone have questions about the ground transportation problem in these area, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by vek

Wow! Your first post since joining FlyerTalk.....going on six YEARS ago.

Stunning.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by vek

Wondering if it's cheaper to fly PVG-HKG or to pay the visa fee? :P
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomasdev
Wondering if it's cheaper to fly PVG-HKG or to pay the visa fee? :P
you dont need a visa if its less than 144 hours, as long as you have proof of onward flight
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by babypuwet
you dont need a visa if its less than 144 hours, as long as you have proof of onward flight
Correct, but it seems like vek's uncle failed to provide proof of the onward flight upon arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.