Wiki Posts
Search

Aa: Gru-dfw-hkg $862 rt, 3.6cpm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold

The cheapest fare I've found so far and the best route to burn eVIPs. It is booked on O fare. Google flight search is your friend.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
DFW-HKG is supposed to be one of the toughest routes on which to secure the eVIP upgrade. I'm guessing middle of the week would be best bet, as I've been monitoring it on EF and it seems more likely to go out with a few seats empty in J on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Then again, fairly small sample size. It would be awful to gamble on that and then end up in coach for 17 hours, even in MCE.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:56 pm

I also just booked a run for next weekend, BNA-DFW-LAX-MIA-GRU-MIA-LAX-DFW-BNA for about the same price, so it dismays me to see this available for 10k miles more and the same price. But for a same-day (1h45m) turnaround it was the best I could find on short notice.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vhrum
DFW-HKG is supposed to be one of the toughest routes on which to secure the eVIP upgrade. I'm guessing middle of the week would be best bet, as I've been monitoring it on EF and it seems more likely to go out with a few seats empty in J on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Then again, fairly small sample size. It would be awful to gamble on that and then end up in coach for 17 hours, even in MCE.
So far, I had a 3/4 success rate for the DFW-HKG route.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by blueslip
I haven't flown it myself; this is just what I've read on FT. What days of the week did you fly?

Also, are you booking one of these yourself? How are you positioning to GRU?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This has been floating around for a while. Sub $800 to PEK

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...pm-3-5cpm.html
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:31 pm

If you do this trip from GRU and don't leave the airport, do you need to get any kind of visa?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by ReneP
If you do this trip from GRU and don't leave the airport, do you need to get any kind of visa?
You don't need to go through immigration - just follow the signs to international transfers. I've done two MRs to GRU with <2-hour turnarounds - with another next week - without going through immigration. And I collect my boarding pass at the gate.

HOWEVER - and this is big - you almost certainly need a visa, because they check it when you check in, and won't let you go if you don't have one. I don't think the turnaround excuse would work.

A Brazilian visa is for multiple entries and lasts 10 years, so it might be worth having anyway.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

I haven't flown it myself; this is just what I've read on FT. What days of the week did you fly?

Also, are you booking one of these yourself? How are you positioning to GRU?
I couldn't exactly remember the days but I was able to get them. One was in 2014 and two were early this year. If you are ex-US, you can use miles to re-position to GRU. If you are ex-Europe, this can be nested to whatever low fares to Brazil.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
This has been floating around for a while. Sub $800 to PEK

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...pm-3-5cpm.html
Cool. I would rather fly to HKG though instead of PEK for visa requirements/restrictions.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I truly envy you. 30+ EXPs waiting for gate standby is a nightmare scenario in my head... I can't do it.

Although GRU-DFW-HKG is a killer value for SWU. On flip side, physically agonizing if nothing clears.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: 1K, XP, Marriott Gold, Avis

Just did HKG DFW in MCE, wasn't that bad at all, tailwinds decreased flight time to 13 hours. Fierce movie watching and games made time pass quickly. Did outbound in J on a SWU. it was very good. 21K more EQMs to go for XP in 2016!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:12 am

You don't need to go through immigration - just follow the signs to international transfers. I've done two MRs to GRU with <2-hour turnarounds - with another next week - without going through immigration. And I collect my boarding pass at the gate.

HOWEVER - and this is big - you almost certainly need a visa, because they check it when you check in, and won't let you go if you don't have one. I don't think the turnaround excuse would work.

A Brazilian visa is for multiple entries and lasts 10 years, so it might be worth having anyway.
Thanks for this info, Vhrum. Guess I'll be heading to the Brazilian embassy.

Since you've done the turnaround there, is there a minimum amount of time that you would recommend giving yourself to get to the gate for your next flight?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Cool. I would rather fly to HKG though instead of PEK for visa requirements/restrictions.
I prefer HKG over PEK too, but have 9 years left on my visa
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC, MileagePlus, Asia miles
Thanks

Last edited by pyflam; Nov 7, 2015 at 5:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.